Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jul 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1044636)   #1
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Hawthorn memorial on the A31?

I was driving along the A31 (Hogs Back) for the first time yesterday and I was wondering if there is a memorial to Mike Hawthorn anywhere?

I am aware he sadly lost his life along this stretch of road, but I could not see any tribute anywhere and I think this is a shame.

Is there one?

Last edited by Williamp; 23 Jul 2004 at 13:42.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1044667)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, is the short answer.

If you were driving towards Guildford from Farnham you drop down a hill on a left hand bend. It was on the right hand side of the road where he hit the tree. Used to be a Garage called Stag Hill Motors just there.

There's a housing estate there now I believe.

But there is no memorail AFAIK.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1044889)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I bought my car from Stag Hill Motors! But it is in Godalming now... never mind it was a good story until then hehe

So was it on the A31 or the A3? I thought the old SHM was on the A3 near the hospital and the cathedral?
Old 24 Jul 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1045615)   #4
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Mon Ami, Mate Chris Nixon gives a full description. The accident occurred after he had come off the Hog's Back (A31) onto the Guildford by-pass (A3), which was a four lane dual carriageway at that time. He says he and Rob Walker had just passed John Coombs' Garage on the opposite side of the road (Did that become Stag Hill Motors?). Curiously, Robert Edwards' Stirling Moss biography includes reproductions of newspaper clippings and a photo on page 277.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1045800)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Ah yes I know where exactly it was then. He'd have been London bound just prior to the cathedral exit. The garage is still there actually but it is some sort of body shop now. Was this the same Coombs as the BMW dealer we have round this way I wonder?
Old 25 Jul 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1046997)   #6
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an area in Farnham museum dedicated to Mike.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1047654)   #7
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The low building housing the body shop next to the garage on the southbound carriageway was indeed John 'Noddy' Coombs' garage.

From the pictures and plans in the various books, and from the fact that Rob Walker reckoned he had already reached 100mph in his 300SL from the A31 slip and that Hawthorn clipped a southbound lorry as he spun across the road, I have always thought that the crash site was well down the hill, where there is a semi-circular curve set back into the hedge on the east side.

Paul M