Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 14 Apr 2008, 06:24 (Ref:2176854)   #26
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Only one major incident at the start of the Sprint race and none at all in the feature. I'd like to hear again from those who earlier dissed A1GP as having a low driving standard!
I'm still uncertain over some of the drivers in A1GP. I feel some of them are still complete ******** when rating their racing skill, but this race is truly a standard-setting achievement for all of them. All twenty two drivers finished the race. Neel absolutely drove a champion worthy performance, despite losing two gears in the race he has absolutely kept his head together and not self-destruct. Hats off to Neel.

Summerton drove an absolutely risk-free race and pulled a performance that makes it look like he never had the injury. Absolutely masterful drive.

The only dodgy part for me in the feature was Reid passing Neel during pitstop, I feel he benefited from a clear road ahead and slotted himself aggressively in front of Neel. But, I'm willing to let that one slide. It was too close to call whether he did something wrong or not. Either way, Jonny took home fourth, keeping the championship chase alive. Good stuff.

I wonder if Neel Jani will Hamiltonize his title chase, that would truly stink for the Swiss team.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2177111)   #27
superjohn
Rookie

superjohn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ultimately, there should be a Ferrari Challenge and/or Maserati event to support the A1GP in the Asian circuits.

however, with Porsche, Aston Martin and other race series competing for new race entrants, this will just further deplete a small pool of eligible drivers.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2177811)   #28
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nicely done Jonathan -- good to see at least one USA driver doing well in an international series where the competition is at a high level.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2177860)   #29
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I couldn't agree more!

I downloaded the race after I heard and Summerton had a masterful drive. He was still pushing on the final lap... I don't think they would have caught him, he's not a fluke.

He's been the best driver Team USA has put in the car since they started.

One more full season in the car and I think they can pull off at least a Top 5 finish in the Championship. As I told Pops its nice to hear the national anthem in an international setting, especially in motorsports. So many of our young drivers are focused on going into Cup where the last place car can get at least $100,000 for their bad luck or stupid driving error.

Other series pay so much lower than even some of NASCAR other touring series that the focus becomes on turning left only.

Summerton has won in everything he's driven thus far and that always a good sign.

Let's just hope Ford, Cerbus or GM don't throw a 7 figure sum at him to be a developmental driver for them in the "Taxi Cab" series.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2178091)   #30
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the circuit in the press conference after the race Summerton said perhaps tongue in cheek "hopefully this proves Americans can drive".

He was also asked by a local journalist if he'd like to drive in F1. His response was "sure...I mean F1 is a big World Cup of Motorsport". Ooops. I am sure the A1GP PR people were delighted with that little gaffe!
Old 16 Apr 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2178548)   #31
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely a racing incident but what the in car camera didn't show and was also hidden by the bridge, was what was happening to Jonny's right?

Good on USA for a great win, and although it looks to be just about impossible for NZ to win overall, the pit crew did a magnificent job this time.

What a pity a couple of incidents in earlier races cost the kiwis dear, but you can't take anything away from the Swiss and have to accept that a mistake at this level is costly, driver or crew.

I wasn't too enamoured of A1 initially, but am definitely a fan now.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 06:51 (Ref:2178552)   #32
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
A1 is very close, if your off by a tiny bit, your at the back.

Spec racing as a whole isn't my favorite thing to watch, but this has been pretty exciting, since day one.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2178750)   #33
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
Summerton has won in everything he's driven thus far and that always a good sign.

Let's just hope Ford, Cerbus or GM don't throw a 7 figure sum at him to be a developmental driver for them in the "Taxi Cab" series.
Signed for this season in Atlantics DJ, Newman Wachs Racing, FWIW. Who knows after that, but I'd think IRL's on his list somewhere.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2179178)   #34
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haha, yeah that one made me chuckle as well! I did cringe a bit when they started asking about F1, I'm sure that went down well...
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2179775)   #35
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I missed the races :C.

Last edited by N.A-D.R; 17 Apr 2008 at 12:33.
Old 4 May 2008, 00:57 (Ref:2193469)   #36
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Decent?

They have one stable driver in the team since the very first race: Emerson Fittipaldi.
Well, but they also had Nelson Piquet Jr., who did a superb drive in that same very first A1GP race at Brands Hatch, three years ago. That fantastic work of Nelsinho is one of the best landmarks of the Brazilian team in their A1GP history.