Old 11 May 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3245880)   #76
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
The biggest difficulty in placing the bridges in sim tracks is that wherever you put them someone finds fault with it. It either blocks the view for a dozen spectators, or is dangerously close to the track - or maybe takes the place of an important gravel trap.
Oh dear...

I wonder if anyone will disagree with the bridge placement in my next design. 4.5km, short circuit 2.5km. I enjoyed working on my previous figure-of-eight design so much that I decided to do another one!

As always, lemme know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
21 plan.png   21 bridge.jpg   21 bridge 2.png  

21 bridge 3.png  
Old 11 May 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3245892)   #77
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I wonder if anyone will disagree with the bridge placement in my next design."

Well, bridges for the actual track itself are a different matter altogether The trackline kinda determines where they go

bio
Old 11 May 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3245921)   #78
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
by filling in the sides of the structure I'd say that you have more of a tunnel than a bridge in a Motegi fashion (Motegi of course passes under the oval).

My only concern is the way the run off pinches in at the bridge and then runs parallel with the track through the tunnel.

I wonder whether more of the structure could be cut away, giving a slightly longer bridge span (tunnel entry), allowing the run off to continue at a wider angle. It looks as though it would match the current tunnel exit so this wouldn't need to be adjusted.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3260060)   #79
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Sneak peak
Attached Thumbnails
22 sneak.jpg  
Old 12 Jun 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3261221)   #80
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Time for a new one, next to some water this time, in part inspired by circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal.

Grand Prix circuit: 5.1km
International circuit: 3.9km
Harbour circuit: 3km

track width: 14m, 17m (pitstraight), 11m (shortcuts)

With this track, I tried to focus on creating corners with a flow that would be fun to drive as well as creating chances for overtaking. I tried to properly "design" each corner, not just put them in where they needed to go.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
22 overview.png   22 grand prix.png   22 international.png  

22 harbour.png   22 detail 1.png   22 detail 2.jpg  

Old 12 Jun 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3261231)   #81
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the land a water combination, and your description of taking inspiration from Montreal, the circuit fits well within the confines that you have given it around the shoreline.

A couple of questions though, I think I probably know the answers already but I'd like to know if we think alike.

Why place the paddock where you have when it effectively cuts off all other access the peninsula?

Why not have the club circuit on the right hand side, and extend out through what could be parkland around the bay/inlet for a F1 event, almost like Singapore where it's purpose built final corners- Straight-first couple of corners before heading out into the city and back - taking another extreme of Sebring where it's a purpose built circuit that opens out onto the airfield (admittedly that's has the pits in the extension)?
Old 12 Jun 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3261361)   #82
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Why place the paddock where you have when it effectively cuts off all other access the peninsula?
Basically, the thinking was that this small area of coast would be totally handed over to the circuit, for it to use the space most effectively. There would be access roads running between the circuit and the shore linking up to the paddock, but these haven't been included (yet). There would also be spectator stands on the inside of turn 2, the outside of turn 3 and the outside of turn 4-5, all of which would be accessed by foot.

Quote:

Why not have the club circuit on the right hand side, and extend out through what could be parkland around the bay/inlet for a F1 event, almost like Singapore where it's purpose built final corners- Straight-first couple of corners before heading out into the city and back - taking another extreme of Sebring where it's a purpose built circuit that opens out onto the airfield (admittedly that's has the pits in the extension)?
I just wrote a whole paragraph on why this wasn't a good idea, but after re-reading it, I misunderstood you. This does make a lot of sense! It was intended to be a fully permanent circuit.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3283544)   #83
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hello.

Massive motorsport complex on an old airfield. What more can I say?
Attached Thumbnails
24 overview.png   24 configs 1.png   24 configs 2.png  

24 configs 3.png  
Old 30 Jul 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3283845)   #84
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10/10!
Old 30 Jul 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3283849)   #85
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant! Perfect venue for track days and testing. So many different layouts with so much variety.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3284000)   #86
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Can you give us a vertical view oriented in the same way as the layout drawings?
Old 31 Jul 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3284424)   #87
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Can you give us a vertical view oriented in the same way as the layout drawings?
Here you go

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Attached Thumbnails
24 plan.png  
Old 1 Aug 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3284743)   #88
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Thanks I'll take a proper look when at home on a full size screen.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3284849)   #89
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
you seem to have a habit of making a slight left or right drift prior to an overtaking place, that moves the racing line across the track, effectively negating the overtaking chance because it's easy to stay half a car off line without compromising the corner.
For overtaking Ideally you'd want the last section to be straight so that the cars/bikes take the largest curve they can (fastest speed), that means staying on the outside edge with the overtake being a dive up the inside or around the outside of someone on a defensive line.

I've highlighted 2 areas showing the movement of the racing line.
Attached Thumbnails
Edit 1.jpg   Edit 2.jpg  
Old 2 Aug 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3285169)   #90
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
you seem to have a habit of making a slight left or right drift prior to an overtaking place, that moves the racing line across the track, effectively negating the overtaking chance because it's easy to stay half a car off line without compromising the corner.
For overtaking Ideally you'd want the last section to be straight so that the cars/bikes take the largest curve they can (fastest speed), that means staying on the outside edge with the overtake being a dive up the inside or around the outside of someone on a defensive line.

I've highlighted 2 areas showing the movement of the racing line.
He shouldn't change anything.

I agree it distinguishes a few "easy" passing opportunities, but it makes it more difficult on the driver. It takes real skill to drive on most of SKGThunder's tracks... racing shouldn't be a walk in the park when it comes to passing, IMO. It should take bravery, skill, luck, and a bit of trading paint to get by other cars.

My two cents.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3286693)   #91
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
you seem to have a habit of making a slight left or right drift prior to an overtaking place
It's mostly a habit, good or bad, when originally sketching the tracks. When in sketchup, I straighten some up but leave some in. I think it adds another dimension to the racing, with the driver not only having to consider the braking point but also his and his opponents predicted paths into the braking zone.

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve springs to mind. There are two straights with a curve right on the braking point, and there are still thrilling overtakes at these spots. Thats kinda what I'm going for...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3286701)   #92
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Grand Prix (red): 4.9km
National (yellow): 4.1km
Classic (blue): 2.5km
Academy East (dark green): 1.9km
Academy West (light green): 2.1km

After safety concerns were raised over the fearsome "reservoir corner", a chicane was added to reduce speeds since adding a runoff area to the corner was not possible. The noticeably newer west circuit was built soon after to add much needed track length for the new Grand Prix layout. It also allowed room for a small secondary paddock to add diversity to the revamped venue.
Attached Thumbnails
64 edit top.png   64 edit perspective.png   64 edit config 1.png  

64 edit config 2.png  
Old 7 Aug 2013, 04:11 (Ref:3286736)   #93
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That track looks amazing. Only a few niggles here and there,like the chicane before the secondary pits looks a bit too tight for my liking,and also the turn before the main pits on the main layout could use a little revising.

But overall,love the track and the backstory behind it.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3286815)   #94
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can say the same things. Great layout, has everything.

Another one I'd really be interested in "rFactorizing" if I had the time - but, sadly, I don't, even for my own project right now

bio
Old 7 Aug 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3287058)   #95
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotSoHidden View Post
That track looks amazing. Only a few niggles here and there,like the chicane before the secondary pits looks a bit too tight for my liking,and also the turn before the main pits on the main layout could use a little revising.

But overall,love the track and the backstory behind it.
How would you change the final turn? Im interested. If you look at the racing line, the chicane before the secondary pits isn't as tight as it might look. Thanks for the interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
I can say the same things. Great layout, has everything.

Another one I'd really be interested in "rFactorizing" if I had the time - but, sadly, I don't, even for my own project right now
Thanks. Hey, if you ever find the time, just let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
64 edit chicane racing line.jpg  
Old 8 Aug 2013, 00:05 (Ref:3287077)   #96
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
First I think it's a great concept, and I think your diagram above proves that the chicane is fine.

There are 3 areas though that nag at me,

First is easy to resolve and that is to centre up the barrier at the hairpin of the right hand circuit, this is easily done, and I've demonstrated this on both images.

Second is the main pit entry, approaching from the East, into the final corner, in this case the right hander, cars going into the pits will be on the apex that much longer as thy have to turn a full 90 degrees where as the racing line it's a much more open corner and as such would have a faster apex speed. I feel this would cause issues. Hopefully the first image shows this.
Conversely coming from the "reservoir corner", I think the racing line get very close to the pit entry,making it a very narrow window, of opportunity to enter the pits without the car behind just thinking that your half a car wide. Hopefully image 2 shows this.

THe third section is the patch of gravel at the join of the circuits. I don't really have a solution as such, but it's going to be pretty difficult to safely barrier when the two circuits are operating at the same time. THis would require a North South barrier yet, when the fuller circuits are running the barriers would need to be East West in line with the centralised hairpin barrier. I've drawn black lines over the gravel trap to show what I mean.

Finally sorry for messing up your nice presentation by doodling over the top of it, and I hope you find these comments constructive.
Attached Thumbnails
64 edit top Ver1.jpg   64 edit top Ver2.jpg  
Old 8 Aug 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3287123)   #97
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
How would you change the final turn? Im interested. If you look at the racing line, the chicane before the secondary pits isn't as tight as it might look. Thanks for the interest.
Thanks for pointing out the racing line through that chicane. Never thought of the racing line for that bit TBH when I posted that.

As for the the final turn,it could be simplified with a fast kink that leads into the main straight instead of the corner complex. Because,to me, the Reservoir turn,especially the last apex, looks like the perfect place to "measure up" an opponent and get a good tow on him for the following straight,creating an overtaking opportunity.However,the final corner complex can only be taken with a single line,and that limits the overtaking opportunities not only coming out of Reservoir,but also may hinder a run down the main straight,which seems to be a very good overtaking opportunity. This might also fix pit entry issues as SBF pointed out,as the pit entry would be all the way on the outside of the turn while the main racing line will be on the inside.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3304802)   #98
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hey guys. This is my first original circuit in a while, a lot of my ones previously have been re-works of some of my first circuits, improving them and adapting them to my current style.

Grand Prix circuit (red): 4.6km

National circuit (yellow): 3.1km

River circuit* (blue) 1.6km

*The river circuit has an area of tarmac after the infield hairpin that allows for track customization. Since this circuit will only be used for club racing, trackdays and, to an extent, testing, and the area is after a slow corner, temporary installations are safe to use. This area can accommodate a tight chicane, a fast chicane (shown above) or no chicane at all.
Attached Thumbnails
25 gp.png   25 national and river.png   25 overview.png  

25 temp chicane.jpg  
Old 16 Sep 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3304912)   #99
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The only major change I'd make is the location of the bridge on the main straight.

As you haven't put any run off from the final corner, the base of the bridge would be at the end of a "Champions wall". While it might be safe to do so, the height of the bridge could make lifting stricken cars out of the way.
Easy to move it further down over the pit exit area for example.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3309120)   #100
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The yellow National Circuit in posting #92 is a true beauty. Yet, it would be even better if you offered a bypass of the chicane prior to the support race pitlane.
Thank you for a great racetrack.