Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Who will be the next F1 female
Katherine Legge 10 25.64%
Susie Stoddart 4 10.26%
Sarah Kavanagh 11 28.21%
Danica Patrick 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Jun 2002, 20:55 (Ref:323065)   #51
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed

A noted driver observer recently remarked that if you could blend Button's smoothness and technique with Raikkonen's agression the WDC's would ring off like a cash register
Old 28 Jun 2002, 14:32 (Ref:323650)   #52
pink hood
Rookie

pink hood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
theres not going to be one there is one good enough yet,
definatley not any of the ones above
Old 28 Jun 2002, 14:33 (Ref:323653)   #53
pink hood
Rookie

pink hood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry,theres not going to be on there is not one good enough yet
Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:21 (Ref:323700)   #54
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jenson might have found it a tad difficult to hold off Schumacher on the last lap, particularly as his car's supension had broken and for much of the lap it was hobbling along on three wheels ...

I agree he does lack that killer instinct, but Malaysia can't be counted as an example in case.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 16:33 (Ref:328260)   #55
worlds greatest
Rookie

worlds greatest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
The question was the next F1 star - not champ or race winner or even regular race driver.
A test driver could be a 'star' with the right team and media support.
I agree, if a woman made it to an inferior F1 team or just as a test driver, she would be made a star merely because she's a woman. And if she does really bad they'd say that's because she's a woman and other women should stay away from F1 too and unnecessary controversy is provoked. So they better wait until there are more female driver alternatives.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 16:44 (Ref:328774)   #56
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of them!!!!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 16:08 (Ref:329506)   #57
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I missed Danica's first Barber Dodge series race because someone decided to park their car on the street car tracks, and then a street car driver decided to smash into it. Toronto...

She only qualified 15th in the 20 car field, which doesn't sound good, except that this was her first real time in a Barber Dodge car on the Toronto track. Still, she managed to finish 7th, which for a 1st timer isn't bad at all.

Although, a female race car driver that I really think has potential(maybe not F1, but who cares about that..) is 18 year old Ashley Taws in (canadian)FF1600 (yes, the barbie car). She has been improving every race, and was on the pole for this weekend's in TO. She fell to 2nd last place after a 1st lap incident, but managed to claw her way back to 4th by the end of it. Quite a racer!

Last edited by Jay; 8 Jul 2002 at 16:08.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:34 (Ref:329551)   #58
Russfeld
Veteran

Im sure she's great but 4th in Canadian FOrmula Ford isnt going to get the F1 owners excited.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:42 (Ref:329559)   #59
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
No, that's right... only $$$$$$ does that.

Obviously she has a long way to go...

Although honestly I could care less whether our young drivers aim for Formula Farce or not... better to go to Cart or stay in the lower Formula than waste their career away in a car they have no hope of winning a race in driving F1.

Last edited by Jay; 8 Jul 2002 at 17:42.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:24 (Ref:329596)   #60
Russfeld
Veteran

So why move out of the bush leagues then? If you can win races in Formula Ford why bother trying to prove yourself against better drivers? Afterall its all about winning isnt it?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:42 (Ref:329617)   #61
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
There's a lot more in this world than driving Formula One, where no matter how good you are, you won't win a race unless you're driving in one of the top two or three teams and half the time the result is orchestrated.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Jul 2002, 20:10 (Ref:329705)   #62
Russfeld
Veteran

You CART fans really have a chip on your shoulder about F1. My mistake really, I should take a spec series with year old engines more seriously.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 15:44 (Ref:331165)   #63
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Next Female F1 Star

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mackmot
[B]I dont think there is any reason why a woman shouldn't be an F1 champion especially nowadays when most things are done for the driver anyway.

What a lot of rubbish!!!

The main point most people outside of F1 don't seem to have grasped is the sheer G forces involved, especially under braking! (4.5g)
Women lack the strength to endure lap after lap of those kind of G forces! It's a fact, so stop dreaming! It just isn't going to happen!

No team in the current climate would even waste time with a test!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 15:59 (Ref:331170)   #64
Russfeld
Veteran

A woman wont be as strong as her male counterpart given the same amount of training, but she can handle an F1 car. There are women fighter pilots and astronauts and those forces put an F1 car to shame.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 16:03 (Ref:331173)   #65
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Next Female F1 Star

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rennen
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
I dont think there is any reason why a woman shouldn't be an F1 champion especially nowadays when most things are done for the driver anyway.

What a lot of rubbish!!!

The main point most people outside of F1 don't seem to have grasped is the sheer G forces involved, especially under braking! (4.5g)
Women lack the strength to endure lap after lap of those kind of G forces! It's a fact, so stop dreaming! It just isn't going to happen!

No team in the current climate would even waste time with a test!
Please read the rest of the thread 'Rennen' before posting. This question has already been answered. USAF research has proved that women make better fighter pilots than men because they are BETTER able to stand up to high G-forces!
Also Sarah Fisher has completed GP length IRL races.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 16:30 (Ref:331186)   #66
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Actually, she's done much longer races, but has yet to grasp the concept of turning right.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 17:27 (Ref:331208)   #67
Russfeld
Veteran

Yeah, she sucks at catching slides
Old 24 Jul 2002, 11:01 (Ref:341461)   #68
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oooh, if this wasn't an online internet forum and 2002, I would wonder if some of the posts weren't made circa 1950? I see no reason why a woman wouldn't do equally well in F1 or CART.

On a related point about equality or representation, why don't we see African American drivers, or drivers from non-caucasian or asian backgrounds competing? When was the last time you say a Kenyan, Indian, or Saudi driver? The point I'm making is that it comes down to the support networks in the respective nations (the south Americans foster young driving talent but it tends to be amongst the wealthy families - the poorer kids dream of being football/soccer stars). Many countries have little interest or support for fostering talent in motorsport, and the major sponsors, which are so crucial to the development of a driver, are based in western countries and have very little interest in the 3rd world.

Same with women. It comes down to a combination of interest - fewer women are interested in motorsport and participating (what is the ratio of men to women on this site for instance?), and the support networks for fostering that interest and support for women aren't there.

Incidentally, there was a women f1 driver in the 70's (I believe). Anyone know here name. She didn't last long...
Old 24 Jul 2002, 12:22 (Ref:341527)   #69
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lella Lombardi
Old 20 Aug 2002, 15:22 (Ref:362125)   #70
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to pick up on 3state's comments about the last time we saw a Kenyan, an Indian or a Saudi driving. Indian drivers seem to be doing OK at the moment - Narain Karthikeyan British F3, F Nippon and now the Super Nissan series. There's another Indian driver currently in British F3 (can't remember his name) and a few in the Asian F2000 series.
As for the Saudis - you've got the Middle Eastern rally championship but it seems they prefer the stages to the tracks.
A Kenyan? I can't help you there....But you could say the same for a Russian or someone from China etc

And to get back to the question about a woman driving in F1 - I don't have a clue maybe someone who's in karts now....