Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Apr 2022, 04:26 (Ref:4106976)   #11
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That's my point EXACTLY, it doesn't say a DAMN thing except to those who only whinge doom and gloom. If sponsors gave a rip about 33 then the last 8 wouldn't be blank or sponsored by the team itself. Go back and look, more than a few of those final cars ran with either team owner or friend with zero budget from them on the cars. Obviously no sponsors really care or they would be associated. Sponsors already in the series already have their cars and if you ask the average person watching, and more importantly BUYING THE PRODUCTS, if they care if 33 are running you will find they don't at all. It's literally ONLY the doom patrol saying that, any one hear sponsors wanting to get in but can't find a car?? No, the few drivers who could enter can't find a team and money

You make some interesting points. I can't think of many unsponsored cars recently other than Enerson in 2020. When were there 8 cars without major sponsorship? I remember cars practicing in the CART era without sponsorship but if they qualified they generally picked up a sponsor by race day. I think back then, there were sponsors looking to get their name on a car if it qualified even if they weren't willing to back a team before the car was qualified. If I recall correctly the VDS team ran the month of May in 1983 unsponsored with Geoff Brabham, then picked up sponsorship for the race. VDS traditionally ran F5000 and CanAm with no major sponsor. I was told at the time that the sponsor never paid despite a 4th place finish. In 1985, Scott Brayton didn't pick up Hardee's sponsorship until after he had qualified on the front row. Granted my examples are from another era, but could be repeated if the series can continue to gain exposure.

As I stated before, I wouldn't be concerned if only the 27 full time cars started this year's race. It's more important that the TV audience grows, which will attract more and bigger sponsors in the future. There are lots of more important factors that will influence viewership other than number of starters. The average viewer isn't aware that 33 cars usually start the race and the regular fans of the series are going to watch regardless. More important is coverage of qualifying, promotion, and the weather on race day. If it's raining on race day everywhere but Indy, viewership will be boosted.