Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Sep 2001, 10:41 (Ref:146892)   #1
jmrutt
Rookie

jmrutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie said what?

I just read this on formula1.com

Following the American terrorist attack last Tuesday, the organisers of the US Grand Prix and the FIA's Max Mosley have made it clear that the US race will go ahead in two weeks time, despite misgivings from some members of the paddock. Yesterday Michael Schumacher appeared affected by the events that took place in the States. The German looked subdued and unconcerned by his comparatively poor qualifying position of third place at Monza. Today, the Sunday Times quoted Bernie Ecclestone, in what may be interpreted as a controversial veiled warning to Schumacher if he is considering avoiding the race in the States

"Let's get one thing straight. Michael Schumacher is not yet the 2001 world champion. Anything could happen. Maybe he could lose his points over one of the next three races. I'm sure that won't be the case, but it could be . . ."
Old 16 Sep 2001, 11:47 (Ref:146909)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch...

Bernie, Bernie...
Old 16 Sep 2001, 12:19 (Ref:146919)   #3
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to know you still wear the pants Bernie
Old 16 Sep 2001, 13:31 (Ref:146927)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He said WHAT??Someone please correct me if i'm wrong,but hasn't micheal allready won the championship?!Is bernie
threatening to take away some points if he doesn't turn up in USA out of respect?!!!What a money grubing Pr***.
Old 16 Sep 2001, 13:45 (Ref:146936)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm...but if i am not wrong, the rulebook stipulates that the first car of the team could make one driver change per season...

Perhaps Michael pass the steering wheel to Badoer??? Its legal, and Bernie can stuff some dollars in his a SS..

Old 16 Sep 2001, 13:46 (Ref:146937)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie you are a total prat..
Old 16 Sep 2001, 15:18 (Ref:146996)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is a 72 yaer old man with a heart condition. What possible benefit could it be to him to stuff more money into his pants at this point?

And if he believes that this will prove who is wearing the big boots in F1, he is right. But in believing he is that person he is absolutely wrong.
Old 16 Sep 2001, 17:35 (Ref:147048)   #8
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
he doesn't turn up in USA out of respect?!!!
Why is it any more respectful for Shummy to Not race in the US???

- there are people who tragically lost family & work mates in that horrible event - who will soon have to return to work and their everyday lives (if they have not done so already). Does this mean they are not paying their respects - of course it does not!! As far as I am aware Shummy did not loose family or friends in the event and he is simply using this situation as an excuse to disguise the real reason -IMO - and I could only guess at what the real reason is but as it would mean nothing, I won't!
Old 16 Sep 2001, 20:36 (Ref:147139)   #9
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for bernie's brain you find a cash counter and in his heart you find a bottom line.

you have betrayed us all bernie - look who you have turned into.
Old 16 Sep 2001, 20:43 (Ref:147144)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Could it not be that the 'small man' we loving know as Bernie Ecclestaone is merely trying to stir up newswire gossip?

It wouldn't be the first time now would it?
Old 16 Sep 2001, 21:35 (Ref:147189)   #11
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Bernie...ur a ******* a-hole
Old 16 Sep 2001, 22:11 (Ref:147209)   #12
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is a ****ing ****, sorry for the langauge but this has prooved to the world just how greedy and petulant he really is.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 16 Sep 2001 at 22:12.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 02:13 (Ref:147290)   #13
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
for bernie's brain you find a cash counter and in his heart you find a bottom line.

Bernie does not have a heart !!

Alan
Old 17 Sep 2001, 12:54 (Ref:147395)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes ,that's right Piquet.Micheal may or may not have 'good' motives for keeping away.My main point is who the hell does bernie think he is saying he HAS to turn up!
Old 17 Sep 2001, 13:03 (Ref:147398)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember this, F1 is about the show and the show is about the drivers and Michael Schumacher is the biggest star. Bernie is letting them all know that he would take it seriously if the drivers decided to not show up for the race. I do not agree with him on most things and this probably should have been handled in private instead of making veiled threats through the media, but that too has the tongues wagging and keeps F1 front and center in the racing news.

I do think that for an F1 driver to say that he thinks air travel would be unsafe is being naieve. These guys do not travel commerical airlines and should know personally every person aboard their aircraft. I understand that many would feel uneasy about air travel right now, but their security is much easy to do assure than a commercial flight.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 14:53 (Ref:147423)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Good point KC and one well worth mentioning. At the end of the day Formula 1 like all motorsport is a form of entertainment. Surely there has to be a greater chance of harm by driving than there ever would be by flying, especially in a private or chartered jet!

Did anyone else notice the miserable face of Ralph Schumacher after yesterdays GP at Monza. He really didn't want to put his arm around Montoya for the photo call on the rostrum. ASre they really that greater enemies? You would have thought that the recent events would have pulled them together rather than push them further apart. I believe he showed his true colours yesterday, not very nice to watch at all.

Wake up Ralph, you are not invincible nor are you some form of demi God!
Old 20 Sep 2001, 21:43 (Ref:148898)   #17
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green

Did anyone else notice the miserable face of Ralph Schumacher after yesterdays GP at Monza. He really didn't want to put his arm around Montoya for the photo call on the rostrum. ASre they really that greater enemies? You would have thought that the recent events would have pulled them together rather than push them further apart. I believe he showed his true colours yesterday, not very nice to watch at all.

Wake up Ralph, you are not invincible nor are you some form of demi God!
totally agree Stephen - he was acting completely un-sportsman like!
Old 20 Sep 2001, 22:47 (Ref:148920)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Yeah Stephen, I posted about it somewhere I can't remember, just after the race... and funny how this things happen to be at Williams again, a re-edition of Piquet X Mansell...
Old 20 Sep 2001, 23:30 (Ref:148940)   #19
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bon...
You are one shrewd dude when you're in the mood
Old 20 Sep 2001, 23:31 (Ref:148942)   #20
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you know the old saying, 'show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.'

He doesn't like it and he's not hiding to well that's all.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 12:38 (Ref:149131)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as bad sportsmanship goes Ralf's got the perfect role model in his older brother.