Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Feb 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4197407)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Egg RVSC24 R02 MSS Security Melbourne Supersprint

Its our Grand Prix.. its second to none..
This is fair dinkum Formula One...!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Feb 2024, 10:41 (Ref:4197412)   #2
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
20 lap races Thursday and Friday
14 lap races Saturday and Sunday
No compulsory pit steps.
Only Victorian Supercar meeting from 2025.
Old 24 Feb 2024, 06:31 (Ref:4198036)   #3
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can i watch this one in the UK? Every year its blocked because of F1

Its stupid, you dont see any F1 content on the broadcast outside of the pitlane shots and sponsors when the Supercars travel through on their stops....
Old 24 Feb 2024, 07:06 (Ref:4198039)   #4
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post

Its stupid, you dont see any F1 content on the broadcast outside of the pitlane shots and sponsors when the Supercars travel through on their stops....
It's usually a different watching prospect because Supercars TV aren't the ones doing the filming or production; sometimes it's a completely different network that has the rights to Supercars and F1.
Old 24 Feb 2024, 22:22 (Ref:4198135)   #5
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post

Last year, it was available to watch live, and via catch up on my superview subscription.

This year, I've gone down the YouTube subscription route and it says not so!
Old 25 Feb 2024, 05:52 (Ref:4198169)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
New pit lane order..

Old 25 Feb 2024, 06:44 (Ref:4198175)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So… is Todd Hazelwood in the #99 for the AGP?
Old 25 Feb 2024, 07:50 (Ref:4198184)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Who’s in #99..?

Not much confidence here
Old 26 Feb 2024, 01:53 (Ref:4198269)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does it come down to whether TFH got their money's worth?
Old 29 Feb 2024, 11:14 (Ref:4198873)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So… is Todd Hazelwood in the #99 for the AGP?
Old 1 Mar 2024, 02:22 (Ref:4199009)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Go Todd!!
Old 1 Mar 2024, 09:55 (Ref:4199045)   #12
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Supercars be at the AGP beyond 2024?

They’re fourth in line nowadays with F2 and F3 being promoted more heavily…… does the AGPC actually want these junior formula’s or were they forced upon them by Liberty?

Supercars while not the main show I think always added an important element to the event, even when not a points race.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 12:48 (Ref:4199066)   #13
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

They’re fourth in line nowadays with F2 and F3 being promoted more heavily…… does the AGPC actually want these junior formula’s or were they forced upon them by Liberty?

Supercars while not the main show I think always added an important element to the event, even when not a points race.
Does it matter?
If not Melbourne then move on to the next event in the series.
Old 4 Mar 2024, 04:50 (Ref:4199827)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

The AGPC definitely wanted F2 and F3.They pushed for it and are paying freight costs etc.
Supercars has to be at the Grand Prix.By far the biggest crowds they race in front of and an audience that has a lot of people who would never go to a Supercar meeting.The race timing for their Friday to Sunday events isn’t much different to what it was prior to 2023.The race distances total to around the same as any Sprint round.
Also an extra round on FTA TV.
Old 4 Mar 2024, 21:24 (Ref:4199974)   #15
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The AGPC definitely wanted F2 and F3.They pushed for it and are paying freight costs etc.
Supercars has to be at the Grand Prix.By far the biggest crowds they race in front of and an audience that has a lot of people who would never go to a Supercar meeting.The race timing for their Friday to Sunday events isn’t much different to what it was prior to 2023.The race distances total to around the same as any Sprint round.
Also an extra round on FTA TV.
From next year the GP will be the only Supercar race in Victoria.

Is this the best outcome for Crompton's "customers"?

Especially if paddock access is restricted or even forbidden, the TV coverage being second rate and the races themselves playing second fiddle to other categories and run the real risk of being cut short.

If there was another Victorian round, then Supercars at the AGP makes sense. As the only Victorian round from 2025 the argument is somewhat weakened.
Old 5 Mar 2024, 00:25 (Ref:4199997)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 5 Mar 2024, 00:40 (Ref:4199998)   #17
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news for Todd!

TFH Fencing might be an important revenue stream for Erebus.
Old 5 Mar 2024, 03:34 (Ref:4200012)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Fans locked out of V8Supercar AGP paddock!

Wtf..!!
Old 5 Mar 2024, 04:22 (Ref:4200018)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Transporters were always parked away from the paddock in Newcastle for example but the public had access to the paddock area & that made it better for teams and fans.

I get that there are space problems at Albert Park & it's not just Supercars in the closed paddock situation but it is a really strange approach from the AGPC - maybe someone has gone overboard on "elf & safety" and decided that public access and moving race vehicles around don't go together? Bit short-sighted if that's the case IMHO.
Old 5 Mar 2024, 05:54 (Ref:4200023)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Transporters were always parked away from the paddock in Newcastle for example but the public had access to the paddock area & that made it better for teams and fans.

I get that there are space problems at Albert Park & it's not just Supercars in the closed paddock situation but it is a really strange approach from the AGPC - maybe someone has gone overboard on "elf & safety" and decided that public access and moving race vehicles around don't go together? Bit short-sighted if that's the case IMHO.
One of life’s joys of wandering around the whole Albert Park precinct was walking on the pontoons across the lake going to or from the other side..

V8Supercar should run a V8 meeting at Albert Park away from the F1 circus.
There are still no sacred sites after all
Old 7 Mar 2024, 04:27 (Ref:4200295)   #21
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
One of life’s joys of wandering around the whole Albert Park precinct was walking on the pontoons across the lake going to or from the other side..

V8Supercar should run a V8 meeting at Albert Park away from the F1 circus.
There are still no sacred sites after all
To think that the Victorian government would set up Albert Park for a Supercar event is delusional.Once upon a time Phil Branagan wrote that F1 would inevitably leave Albert Park before 2010 and that it could easily be replaced by a Supercar event.Both of you ODing on the Supercars Kool Aid.
Less and less people care about Supercars every year and even at its peak around 20 years ago it never had the following to make constructing a street circuit in the heart of Melbourne remotely viable.
PS Isn’t it time to beat the rush and get in an early vote for Ricciardo as Driver Of The Race at Jeddah?About as sensible as a Supercar meeting at Albert Park.
Old 7 Mar 2024, 04:57 (Ref:4200298)   #22
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Less and less people care about Supercars every year and even at its peak around 20 years ago it never had the following to make constructing a street circuit in the heart of Melbourne remotely viable.
PS Isn’t it time to beat the rush and get in an early vote for Ricciardo as Driver Of The Race at Jeddah?About as sensible as a Supercar meeting at Albert Park.
Supercars demise is like the fall of Rome.

At 400 years long, it outlasted most entire civlisations existence that are compared to Rome.

As it stands, Supercars has been dying for 6 times longer than Super Touring existed locally for, and I'm being charitable.
Old 7 Mar 2024, 05:50 (Ref:4200300)   #23
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
To think that the Victorian government would set up Albert Park for a Supercar event is delusional.
Agree with this part of your post - the rest of it is too negative and knocking of other posters to deserve response IMHO.

Reality is that the cost of building Albert Park (even with less grandstanding) would not stack up for a Supercars event, plus the circuit is too long for what Supercars would normally want (can't be shortened enough due to lake in the middle) & then of course there'd be plenty of opposition from the locals. Can't see it happening.
Old 7 Mar 2024, 08:09 (Ref:4200307)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Reality is that the cost of building Albert Park (even with less grandstanding) would not stack up for a Supercars event, plus the circuit is too long for what Supercars would normally want (can't be shortened enough due to lake in the middle) & then of course there'd be plenty of opposition from the locals. Can't see it happening.
Is it any more expensive that shutting down the Gold Coast for a couple of weeks? Or Homebush when it was still alive? Or Newcastle?

Yes it is Melbourne... but there is no reason to suggest its impossible.. with the right level of government support..

Perhaps the new ownership of V8Supercar makes this a moot point if they can align the Liberty position and the AGPC..
Old 7 Mar 2024, 08:40 (Ref:4200313)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Is it any more expensive that shutting down the Gold Coast for a couple of weeks? Or Homebush when it was still alive? Or Newcastle?

Yes it is Melbourne... but there is no reason to suggest its impossible.. with the right level of government support..

Perhaps the new ownership of V8Supercar makes this a moot point if they can align the Liberty position and the AGPC..

Considerably more expensive than either - due in no small part to the length of Albert Park - all those extra concrete blocks, all those extra truck trips, heaps more logistics & costs.

Albert Park also a much bigger deal with traffic flow & closures.