yes 22 66.67%
no 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Mar 2003, 20:14 (Ref:549170)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie

Do you approve in Bernie buying into cart?
Old 26 Mar 2003, 21:14 (Ref:549261)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring him on and let's talk business.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 22:41 (Ref:549365)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree. I don't think he'd be stupid enough to turn CART into another F1. I think he's realised he's lost control of it's future, even though he's still making lots of money...

Bernie knows that CART is a RACING series, and he won't be silly enough to change that.

Or so I hope.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 23:47 (Ref:549441)   #4
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't Bernie already own some CART stock?

As for an all out takeover I don't think would happen. He might own CART soon, but I don't think they would dissolve the Board of Directors.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 23:59 (Ref:549452)   #5
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying into CART and bringing his contacts, influence, and money I think is good. Taking over CART I think would not be good.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 00:25 (Ref:549476)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Tailwind, I don't mind Bernie having input and getting something in return, but I don't want him having more power than Forsythe or Pook.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 08:45 (Ref:549688)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Forsythe has pretty much already got more power than Pook. I'm sure all it would take is, "Hey Chris, mind if I talk to you for a moment?" Ten minutes later CART announces that KIA will be the sole engine manufacturer from 2005-2010.

As for BE buying into CART and going 50/50 with Gerry? Gotta vote "yes". Simply because I see no other option. Pook has given the series emergency surgery, but they still await the transplant. Bernie offers transplants of a rather bionic nature, so that once the patient recovers, he will have powers far greater than those of his enemies.

But nothing good comes without a price.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 10:06 (Ref:549744)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't it worry anyone here that Bernie and Tony George are great mates and because of that friendship there is now a US Grand Prix.
George hates Cart and is happily poaching drivers and sponsors from it.
Why on earth would Bernie want a downtrodden series unless he knows he can get it for a knock down price.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 11:09 (Ref:549780)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't want Bernie to have any part of CART. The series can survive on its own without becoming bpart of the Ecclestone empire. All Bernie would want it as is a feeder series for outsdie of Europe, the chance of ever making this the #1 US racing championship would be gone. Gerry Forsythe is at least as rich as Bernie and is a genuine racing lover involved for no personal gain; if the series needs one benefactor it should be him.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 11:37 (Ref:549810)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want Bernie in CART. Seriously I do. Pook did a great bandaid job, saving CART, saving the series, and going part of the way to restoring this great series. I credit him TOTALLY with saving a series that was treading water, if not drowning in late 2002.

But I think we need someone else to return the series to the glory days. Maybe people blame Bernie for ruining F1, but why would he turn CART into ANOTHER F1 when he already owns F1 anyway...

Bernie could be the best thing that's ever happened to Champ Car racing. Maybe he could be the worst also. But I'm gonna be optimistic.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 12:09 (Ref:549842)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends whether you want CART to be treated as inferior to F1 or to challenge it/healthy alternative to it. Look at his track record after Ecclestone had taken over the championship

- World Touring Car Championship
- World Sportscar Championship
Both had the potential to possibly rival F1 in Bernie's eyes, rather than the viable alternative others saw them as. Bernie took over and both died.

- WRC (Before Richards took over)
- F3000

Last edited by racer69; 27 Mar 2003 at 12:11.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 12:44 (Ref:549876)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie and TG are NOT "good friends." Bernie is talking of yanking the USGP from him at the earliest opportunity as he is mightily displeased with TG's promotion of it (and probably realises that Indianapolis is not an international destination of choice for Rich Punters, and the local Americans don't like being treated like cattle so wait to get knockdown priced tickets on race day.

It's very easy for sidewalk snipers to try to dictate who should invset his money in CWS and who shouldn't. Just like it's easy for them to try to dictate how generals should run a war. In both cases it is done with an incomplete understanding of the situation and without any personal risk.

I say let him bring his money to us because he's got one foot on a banana peel and he can't take it with him.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 13:12 (Ref:549918)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like I said, this guy hates the fans...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...27124812.shtml
Old 27 Mar 2003, 14:52 (Ref:550036)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO no no- let someone buy it out but not Bernie- a competing series is not what he wants- of course this is because he fails to see the complementary aspect of the 2 series existing, and the joy there is in a couple of top tier series, just make champcars like f5000
Old 27 Mar 2003, 17:28 (Ref:550201)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, Pook only has power because he has been given it. He can be fired a whim. But he has been given an extrodinary amount of power because people have confidence in him. Forsythe has the power to overrule Pook, but he's not going to do it unless he thinks things are very wrong.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 12:47 (Ref:552087)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's say that we don't need him completely, only his help... (that's a yes)
Old 1 Apr 2003, 18:55 (Ref:555170)   #17
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to say yes. Bernie is afraid of the Grand Prix World Series is going to destroy Formula 1 by becoming a rival series. Bernie will buy CART and make it the new Formula 1. Don't believe me? Read this...http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns08855.html
Old 2 Apr 2003, 00:35 (Ref:555434)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That story scares the bejeezus out of me. No-one wants that to happen. CART should not be a 'new' F1, it's a stand-alone series. And we certainly don't want to entertain ANY idea of Ferrari coming in and running the show!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 13:36 (Ref:555933)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was inclined to vote neutral, but since such option didn't exist i voted 'No'...
Old 6 Apr 2003, 01:53 (Ref:559719)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

To those who think Forsythe has great judgement in leaders for CART...

http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/200...nniniTough.htm
Old 6 Apr 2003, 02:06 (Ref:559721)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Although the article is dated Dec. 3, 2001, I must say that I was quite surprised to learn on this forum that JoeH is still in Forsythe's employ.

Last edited by macdaddy; 6 Apr 2003 at 02:07.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 03:07 (Ref:559735)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I know it's an old article, but I think it's relevent when considering Forsythe's judgement.