Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Apr 2000, 06:54 (Ref:5460)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"It has just been reported in local media that the Queensland Government will sponsor Jason Bright to the tune of $300,000 to enter the Gold Coast Indy event to be held in October. The deal is part of the launch of a new corporate logo for the Government. A news report is available on the ABC website. Jason Bright confirmed this with an announcement today in Australia that he will drive for the Hogan team (we are as surprised as you at that one and wonder if it was a mistake). It was also announced that he will be competing in other Champ car races during the year if possible for the same team. This is great news for the event and will guarantee a substantial increase in attendance over previous years figures. Jason has a strong following in Australia, his victory at Bathurst in 1998 and continued competitiveness in the Pirtek Racing Falcon in 1999 made many fans and his efforts to date in Indy Lights (testing and Long Beach) have been well reported in the local motorsport print media. On another note slightly related to CART, this is the last year that the V8Supercars will be appearing on the Indy (they STILL call it Indy over there) program due to contractual/political and scheduling issues. This will undoubtedly have a negative effect on attendance figures as support for V8SC enormous. At the moment this class draws people to the event who may otherwise not attend."
A few things about this:
1. Way to go Brighty!! I've spent a fair bit of time with Jason and he is a really nice guy. He is a heap better in Open Wheelers than he was in touring cars, he is good, but i don't think he will win straight out of the box. Got to remember he did come second in his first Lites race, nearly cleaned up in FF2000, won the Australian Drivers Championship and the Australian FF Championship.
2. His home is 5 minutes from the track, so there is going to be huge home town interest. Who cares if the tourers aren't there, they ***** and groan and crash....
(Besides, there are only 3 reasons people go to the race:
1. Go watch the Cart cars.
2. To watch the talent in the high rises...( )
3. Go get sloshed with the boys on the hill...)
3. When was the last time a government body sponsored a driver? I fairly happy that my taxes are putting Brighty on the grid
4. Swift? As asked elsewhere, but it could be quick on the streets, didn't people ditch it because it wasn't any good on the ovals?