Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3400010)   #401
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New proposal from the stratagy group to save costs. A meeting on Thursday will decide some of these?

Tyre blaket ban
Fuel system simplification
Front wing simplification
Brack duct simplification
Increase in curfew
Bring gearbox life inline with engines
Ban interconnected front to rear suspension.

Standard front impact structure
Standard rear impact structure
Standard steering rack
Standard final drive system

FIA controled active suspension
Move to 18 inch wheels

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113705

Some of the above may not have any significant impact on costs and may initially increase them. The changes for 2017 would fall into this catagory.

How big a cost reduction will come from these? Depends on the detail and how many loopholes are there to be exploited.
I would question how much of a saving standard steering rack would have but they will dictate other things about front end layout.

Question to the Mods should we change the name of this thread?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3400124)   #402
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
What would you like? "New rules make F1 even more rubbish?", "F1 to become even less like the time I started watching when it was good?", "opportunity to repeat what you said last Thursday" or just simply "Worst thing ever?"

Seriously, what do think is better? "Future Rule Changes"?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3400131)   #403
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What would you like? "New rules make F1 even more rubbish?", "F1 to become even less like the time I started watching when it was good?", "opportunity to repeat what you said last Thursday" or just simply "Worst thing ever?"

"Future Rule Changes" sounds good I just thought we needed to get rid of the year.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3400135)   #404
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm on it, sir
Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3400136)   #405
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Quote:
To keep it semi-relevant what about, [Rules] 2014 Rule Changes and beyond..... ?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3400138)   #406
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
I'm on it, sir
Thanking you
Old 30 Apr 2014, 23:51 (Ref:3400190)   #407
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What would you like? "F1 to become even less like the time I started watching when it was good?"
My vote.
Old 1 May 2014, 04:59 (Ref:3400216)   #408
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
New proposal from the stratagy group to save costs. A meeting on Thursday will decide some of these?

Tyre blaket ban
Fuel system simplification
Front wing simplification
Brack duct simplification
Increase in curfew
Bring gearbox life inline with engines
Ban interconnected front to rear suspension.

Standard front impact structure
Standard rear impact structure
Standard steering rack
Standard final drive system

FIA controled active suspension
Move to 18 inch wheels

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113705

Some of the above may not have any significant impact on costs and may initially increase them. The changes for 2017 would fall into this catagory.

How big a cost reduction will come from these? Depends on the detail and how many loopholes are there to be exploited.
I would question how much of a saving standard steering rack would have but they will dictate other things about front end layout.

And still all over the noise apparently:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27898.html

"The first meeting to discuss potential solutions was in Shanghai, and Italy's Autosprint reports that more meetings are taking place away from the paddock this week."
Old 1 May 2014, 07:21 (Ref:3400236)   #409
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
And still all over the noise apparently:
Noise is that noise needed by Bernie to drown out the sounds coming from a German court?
Old 1 May 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3400278)   #410
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday Marussia sporting director Graeme Lowdon said that a further standardization is necessary, because fans are turning their back to the series due to the lack of competition among teams. The lack of competition is the consequence of financial inequality among teams, he said.

I could not disagree more. The standardization, homologation and equalization of Formula 1 caused boredom and forced the series to introduce artificial gimmicks, such as the drag reduction system and deliberately ill-functioning tires. All purity and sporting spectacle has been eliminated. That, Mr Lowdon, is reason why people turn their back to Formula 1.
Old 1 May 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3400285)   #411
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Yesterday Marussia sporting director Graeme Lowdon said that a further standardization is necessary, because fans are turning their back to the series due to the lack of competition among teams. The lack of competition is the consequence of financial inequality among teams, he said.

I could not disagree more. The standardization, homologation and equalization of Formula 1 caused boredom and forced the series to introduce artificial gimmicks, such as the drag reduction system and deliberately ill-functioning tires. All purity and sporting spectacle has been eliminated. That, Mr Lowdon, is reason why people turn their back to Formula 1.
Er, no it isn't.

There are many reasons, Lowdon's certainly seems to be one of the major ones. Cost to view (whether on TV or live) is going to be the biggest problem. And people won't be willing to spend if the race is a procession as some cars are clearly better than others (which is down to how much money you can spend). A spec series would equalise the cars and make the racing more interesting as it is in lower formulae.

That said, I don't think they should do that. I think they should have a budget cap, the cars will be different, but closer.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 May 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3400287)   #412
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Er, no it isn't.

There are many reasons, Lowdon's certainly seems to be one of the major ones. Cost to view (whether on TV or live) is going to be the biggest problem. And people won't be willing to spend if the race is a procession as some cars are clearly better than others (which is down to how much money you can spend). A spec series would equalise the cars and make the racing more interesting as it is in lower formulae.

That said, I don't think they should do that. I think they should have a budget cap, the cars will be different, but closer.
Every time I watch a Formula 3 race, I find it rather boring most of the time. Having said that, speed differences are necessary to have any action at all. A further standardization contradicts this principle.
Old 1 May 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3400290)   #413
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I have noticed that spec class racing tends to be close but overtaking without power boost etc can be limited. This is because all the cars tend to have the same speeds in the same parts of the track.

However where you have open chassis rules you can get a different result. One car could have better traction than another or better under braking higher top speed etc. In these situations there should be greater potential for overtaking assuming the cars are similar on pace over a lap.
I can give you an extreme example from historic racing a few years ago where there was a Sunbeam Tiger v's a Lotus Elan. You might say that these two cars should not be on the same lap but they actually were very closely matched when at a circuit where outright top speed was unimportant. I enjoyed many a battle between these two.
Old 1 May 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3400399)   #414
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Every time I watch a Formula 3 race, I find it rather boring most of the time. Having said that, speed differences are necessary to have any action at all. A further standardization contradicts this principle.
Try a 750MC meeting. That have lots of spec'ish cars, and the racing is pretty funky.

But the question is - are F3 races better for worse than F1 races?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 May 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3400427)   #415
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The rules should improve racing which should mean we could get rid of DRS.
Old 1 May 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3400444)   #416
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
They keep trying to cure the symptoms, not the disease.
Quote:
However where you have open chassis rules you can get a different result. One car could have better traction than another or better under braking higher top speed etc. In these situations there should be greater potential for overtaking assuming the cars are similar on pace over a lap.

I can give you an extreme example from historic racing a few years ago where there was a Sunbeam Tiger v's a Lotus Elan. You might say that these two cars should not be on the same lap but they actually were very closely matched when at a circuit where outright top speed was unimportant. I enjoyed many a battle between these two.
For me, this was what made racing interesting, and we've lost that.
Old 1 May 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3400529)   #417
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The rules should improve racing which should mean we could get rid of DRS.
I don't follow the logic. The more spec parts, the closer the performance will be (including likely having similar performance). So that likely results in much less passing if you don't have some type of "push to pass" capability. So I say this reinforces keeping DRS.

Richard
Old 1 May 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3400531)   #418
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Lowdon suggested more standardisation as a means to level the playing field because the Strategy group rejected a cost cap and said they would use the rules to bring about cost reductions. He's playing their game.
I agree with comments written that a spec F1 is not the way to go because it eliminates creativity and engineering excellence, and doesn't reward pioneering new ideas.
But all of those standardisation ideas, or what we have seen suggested so far will save less than $20 million across the whole field and what is needed is something to cap the spending of the most well funded teams who operate on a budget three to five times the backmarker teams. That whole spending ratio has only continued to get wider and wider over the last two decades.

The six teams that represent the teams on the strategy group will always push for freedom of use for any technology hence the push for active suspension etc. they know they will be able to exploit it to their advantage. That will never change unless you bring in a balancing factor to at least level the financial field.

At the ,moment the small teams get about 10-20 million and the very top teams $70-$100 million on the 'Concorde' payout. Make that more balanced and you would have an improvement in lower end competitiveness and reign in some of the more unnecessary spending at the top end. Create a cap (250 million?) but make it toward specific costs you can measure.
Then make them responsible for breaking it by significantly fining them and give the proceeds to the poorer teams...

They would moan like crazy but someone needs to be hard enough and tough enough to do it.
Old 1 May 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3400543)   #419
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Closeness of the cars, or rather a lack of is not a problem as described above. Hasn't been for years as the grid is very compressed in terms of lap times. Especially compared to the good old days! Currently there is a team further ahead than normal, but that will settle down. The team themselves have said that others will catch up as they have more potential.
Old 2 May 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3400571)   #420
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Stricter rules lower the return on investments. As the return is fixed in Formula One, more investments are needed.
Old 2 May 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3400675)   #421
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't follow the logic. The more spec parts, the closer the performance will be (including likely having similar performance). So that likely results in much less passing if you don't have some type of "push to pass" capability. So I say this reinforces keeping DRS.

Richard

Yeah - you're probably right. There was a suggestion of replacing it with a "push to pass" like in IndyCar - but I don't think it'll be powerful enough - what with the "dirty air problem" in F1.

As for more standardisation - are they going to standardise the brakes? I suppose that could be a cost-cutting measure as well?
Old 15 May 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3406740)   #422
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite an interesting article regarding rule changes and fan input.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113964
Old 15 May 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3406775)   #423
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Quite an interesting article regarding rule changes and fan input.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113964
That is a nice article in my opinion.

I think one think that would be interesting to know (and likely would take some market research to answer) would be exactly who is the "fan" that they are trying to please.

I can envision three basic types of fans...

1. Hardcore. They know the history, the specifications, etc. Likely most, but not all of us here on this forum might fit that category.
2. Average. They know the players, follow year to year, but some details just slip past them from season to season.
3. Casual. They watch or attend occasionally. Technical details may or may not be important to them.

I have no idea what the percentage breakdown might be. I suspect that #2 and #3 hugely outweigh #1.

Overlay the above with who is the most vocal and militant about how F1 is run day to day. I suspect it is mostly #1 that fits that category. If all of us in #1 was forced to have tape put on our mouths and our computer keyboards were taken away, I wonder what the state of F1 might be? Better, worse, or just different.

I suspect the "optimal" answer (especially from a commercial perspective) would likely not make the hardcore fans happy. However... count me as an aspiring hard core fan. I would like to see the sport "done right" (whatever that is) even if it means the entire show ends up being a bit smaller and less flashy than it is today.

Richard
Old 15 May 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3406793)   #424
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would add in a fourth group of "non-fans". F1 has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) of being a "boring sport" where cars spend most of the time following each other around. Of course we don't think that, but a lot of people do and have told me so. Adding in things like tyres that degrade quickly, DRS, KERS to improve the spectacle with lots of overtaking may draw in people who don't watch F1 because they think it's just a parade (which it could sometimes be in the past).
Old 16 May 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3406888)   #425
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

I can envision three basic types of fans...

1. Hardcore. They know the history, the specifications, etc. Likely most, but not all of us here on this forum might fit that category.
2. Average. They know the players, follow year to year, but some details just slip past them from season to season.
3. Casual. They watch or attend occasionally. Technical details may or may not be important to them.

I have no idea what the percentage breakdown might be. I suspect that #2 and #3 hugely outweigh #1.

Overlay the above with who is the most vocal and militant about how F1 is run day to day. I suspect it is mostly #1 that fits that category. If all of us in #1 was forced to have tape put on our mouths and our computer keyboards were taken away, I wonder what the state of F1 might be? Better, worse, or just different.

Richard
You seem to have left out a large part of the equation; who makes up the largest proportion of TV audiences, and what are they prepared to pay for that privilidge.

As my kids keep telling me, I am an odd breed, and I like to live my life by certain standards, one being that my word is my bond, etc. So, when Mr Ecclestone, who holds the rights to the TV broadcasts, gave an undertaking that live races (not recorded and/or just highlights) would always be made available on free terrestrial to audiences in the UK, I took him at his word.

I have followed Formula 1 for nigh on 50 years, have travelled around the world to watch it in the flesh, and until two and half years ago, I had watched every Grand Prix on TV that I hadn't actually been present at. So, I would class myself as a hardcore fan, but I haven't watched a single race for those 2 1/2 years, and to be honest, I haven't missed it. Yes, you could say that I cut my nose off to spite my face, but I wasn't prepared to pay a large chunk of my money to my cable TV provider so that I could watch a few hours of sometimes processional races, especially knowing that that chunk of money was ending up in the pocket of the F1 circus who shouldn't need my money.

Now, if I ,as a hardcore fan, am prepared to not bother to watch, how will those less enamoured with the "sport" react. I believe that I am right in saying that in the UK audience viewing figures have reduced since total free output was stopped (only about half the races are shown live for free, and it would not surprise me if even that stopped when the current contract ends), and this is the big cash-cow for the F1 circus. so if audiences keep shrinking, for whatever reason and artificial rules/regulations could be a major factor because the average man in the street can't understand or appreciate the reasoning behind them, then broadcasters will be less inclined to pay huge bucks to buy the rights to show the races.