Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2981632)   #1
chormy
Rookie

chormy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solid engine mounts for MGC

Have updated the old girl and now have issues with the mounts sheared one rubber mount and see the engine move 8mm is a bit much for stock mounts.

Apart from the obvious stress fractures on the original mounting plates is there any problem in fitting them (not to Gearbox mount)

The original mounts had a stopper but over the years everybody got rid of them it seems. This only stops the engine from going forward not backward.

The C is now injected and running 285hp@7000 at the the flywheel 238lbs @5400

Old 5 Nov 2011, 02:09 (Ref:2981739)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
what's the question?
Old 5 Nov 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2981800)   #3
chormy
Rookie

Solid mounts

Is there anyone running a MG with solid mounts also any manufactures making mounts that might hold a 700lbs lump

opinions please.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2981894)   #4
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBH i have no idea what mgc mounts look like, but mounts for a diesel land rover lump must have to cope with similar weight to your c series

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 5 Nov 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2981978)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
have you tried Vic Young, what he doesn't kbow about racing MGCs probably isn't worth knowing.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2981981)   #6
chormy
Rookie

solid mounts

The old MGC mount is big but on track it cannot contain the movement on braking and the vib damper touches the rad on braking.

Was thinking of making my own with a alloy block sandwiched between two 1/8" sheets of PTFE sheet.

The PTFE we use on structures like bridges so should take load and some vibration damping , the alloy to machine to hold the mounting studs.

Thoughts !!!
Old 5 Nov 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2982002)   #7
chormy
Rookie

Vic

Vic is a wealth of info and has supplied a few nice bits for the C over the years.

The stock mounts with the original plates may do the job but they are rare now. I do have some coming.

I really do not want this engine braking loose or wiping out a £500 rad.again :-(
Old 5 Nov 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2982088)   #8
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever thought of an engine plate http://www.mcdonaldbrosracing.com.au/frontplate.html

I know that you would have to get something custom made to suit the MGC (maybe..) but if they can hold a large V8 in place then it should be ok for you.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2982149)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly would look for an alternative to solid mounts,you end with chassis cracking.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2982186)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You would have to fabricate a couple of brackets but you could try Jaguar XK engine mounts, these are circular rubber and come in different thickness's. The XK engine weighs at least 300kg and I've never had one break in 10 years racing.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2982196)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Tim,just what we adapted for a Sebring replica,dont know how long they lasted as the car was sold shortly afterwards.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2982198)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks Tim,just what we adapted for a Sebring replica,dont know how long they lasted as the car was sold shortly afterwards.We also made a retaining bracket for the rear mounts as this is where most movement occurs in a sudden stop.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2982316)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The stock car boys used to fit a chain on the back of the cylinder head to the bulk head to stop the rads getting trashed on the old ZAs/Bs, cheap but effective
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Nov 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2982617)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Certainly would look for an alternative to solid mounts,you end with chassis cracking.
or engine block mounting point damage....why can't the radiator be changed to a slimmer unit that is mounted further forward??
Old 8 Nov 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2983052)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGC Owner comments...

Unfortunately the only replacement rubber mounts you can buy at the moment are extremely poorly made Indian replacements. The bolt patterns are out by a hole diameter and the pad thickness is also somewhat deficient. I sent back the ones I bought with a note to the retailer not to buy from that source again.

Yes, the original mounts have a formed plate which stops the engine shooting forward in a minor collision and punching the radiator. Nothing is going to work in a major collision. I still have my engine mount restraints, but I have seen cars without them – dumb! They are probably made of unobtanium.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2984045)   #16
chormy
Rookie

MGC

Looks like I may have to get the restraints from Steve C, I think as you say the new mounts are very poor. I like the idea of XK mounts .Thanks guys hope I can come to something better than buying new rads and mounts.