Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Nov 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3691532)   #76
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
What about Hansen next season?
I assume Loeb will return.
Kevin Hansen full season WRX?
Nothing is official but I expect them to be on the starting line next season.

Didn't Loeb say he wanted a future in rallycross? Anyway, I believe I've seen in media that he his going to do a couple of years at least.

I wonder if they could run a three-car team? Kevin has just been amazing this season.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 08:34 (Ref:3691666)   #77
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Audi being more involved at EKS rumours evolved that there will be a third car for wildcard entries at some rounds. Possible drivers are Andrea Dovizioso, Nico Müller or Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky (who has Red Bull support now...). Would be nice to see that come true.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3691696)   #78
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's be honest it has looked like Jeanny has been an outcast all year. sad coz a couple of years ago he looked a match for Timmy when they did a load of testing and found a setup that was good for him.

Shame as I don't usually have favourites but I do have a lot of time for Davy. He is the odd one out there though and it's obvious to me he was warming the seat for Kevin, so I would be amazed if he is there next year.

Great shout for JRM though if they can get him, with Wilkes praps might be a good team. I cant see them taking Doran again no matter how much dough the diabetes peddlars throw at them.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:36 (Ref:3691699)   #79
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Great shout for JRM though if they can get him, with Wilkes praps might be a good team. I cant see them taking Doran again no matter how much dough the diabetes peddlars throw at them.
JRM will need someone to bring money - although I agree I can't see them taking Doran (or anyone else taking Doran for that matter).
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3691836)   #80
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Let's be honest it has looked like Jeanny has been an outcast all year. sad coz a couple of years ago he looked a match for Timmy when they did a load of testing and found a setup that was good for him.

Shame as I don't usually have favourites but I do have a lot of time for Davy. He is the odd one out there though and it's obvious to me he was warming the seat for Kevin, so I would be amazed if he is there next year.

Wondering myself about Jeanny. Maybe he's just 4th in line after Loeb, Timmy and Kevin and gets less attention by the team?

About JRM. I think they should do a season in ERX. Bring in a driver with talent and some funding (like Jeanny), sort the car and return to WRX in 2018. Or just stay in ERX like Albatec. I assume business wise that's a smarter decision.

Doran with his own team in ERX next season?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:16 (Ref:3691839)   #81
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
With Audi being more involved at EKS rumours evolved that there will be a third car for wildcard entries at some rounds. Possible drivers are Andrea Dovizioso, Nico Müller or Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky (who has Red Bull support now...). Would be nice to see that come true.
Increasing support? That's a surprise. Timo Scheider is no option? He did well in the All-Inkl SEAT yesterday. MAK in WRX would be nice.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 21:50 (Ref:3692516)   #82
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Seems like Julian Godfrey is back in action at the top level when it comes to engines. I guess the WRX stands for rallycross and not a Subaru.

https://www.facebook.com/19631951043...type=3&theater
Old 30 Nov 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3692530)   #83
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
-
Old 1 Dec 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3692622)   #84
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hasn't he built a sort of bespoke one off RX engine? Not really based on anything but using years of tuning experience and lots of money he has gained from tuning them!!

Which concerns me a little as it might be used as a single engine formula!!!
Old 1 Dec 2016, 09:29 (Ref:3692637)   #85
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
About JRM. I think they should do a season in ERX. Bring in a driver with talent and some funding (like Jeanny), sort the car and return to WRX in 2018. Or just stay in ERX like Albatec. I assume business wise that's a smarter decision.
Fully agree with the ERX suggestion. They look like they are struggling to get the 2.0L version of the MINI up to speed and I think they'd be much better doing as you suggest and developing the car in Europe next year before considering another World Championship campaign.

Quote:
Doran with his own team in ERX next season?
Do you think the funding is there? A possible Doran/Rooke line up for Europe could be interesting. Liam is also talking about another RS200 rallycross project on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Seems like Julian Godfrey is back in action at the top level when it comes to engines. I guess the WRX stands for rallycross and not a Subaru.

https://www.facebook.com/19631951043...type=3&theater
Quote:
Hasn't he built a sort of bespoke one off RX engine? Not really based on anything but using years of tuning experience and lots of money he has gained from tuning them!!

Which concerns me a little as it might be used as a single engine formula!!!
I doubt it's a Subaru engine. JGE don't have a great history with Japanese engines, so I'm doubtful they would be dabbling with them again.

I assumed that the engine in question was to meet the recently introduced "custom" engine regulations for Supercars. I would guess it's YB based as I believe that is where JGE have the most experience.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 10:55 (Ref:3692650)   #86
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I was not suggesting it had anything to do with Subaru, that would be silly as it's a flat four and they have never really been that easy to get power from unless you go bonkers and that is not the way usually in WRX. Great idea for an engine, and has worked, the old van Mechelen car continues to be quick years after it was made with nothing like the budget of modern cars.

I would guess Godfrey has made so much out of rallycross and tuning he has cast and milled his own parts, possibly a block and head, like Millington did. Big investment, but it can pay off long term. He will know enough about the YB to know parts are getting hard to find and building your own version of an engine means you can lead development. And also get rid of the niggly areas in the design that restrict it. YB is old hat in rallycross now at world level.

I also think he will want to be the main man if WRX start a single engine formula, which I can see happening long term. It's what wannabe big championships do these days as that is what everyone else does!
Old 1 Dec 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3692665)   #87
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I would guess Godfrey has made so much out of rallycross and tuning he has cast and milled his own parts, possibly a block and head, like Millington did. Big investment, but it can pay off long term. He will know enough about the YB to know parts are getting hard to find and building your own version of an engine means you can lead development. And also get rid of the niggly areas in the design that restrict it. YB is old hat in rallycross now at world level.
I thought parts supply for the YB was fine? Cosworth are pretty good about supplying parts for their engines no matter what the age. But I agree - if you can produce your own unit and get an established user base for it then it can be a licence to print money.

Quote:
I also think he will want to be the main man if WRX start a single engine formula, which I can see happening long term. It's what wannabe big championships do these days as that is what everyone else does!
If rallycross does move to introduce an EV class (presumably as the 'top' class) then I could see a single engine formula being used to a lower tier class. I assume the manufacturers (if they're interested) would go for the EV vehicles and then you'd have the privateer teams running a single engine formula.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3693172)   #88
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
As for electrics, VW is interested. Press the on the link and scroll down, there will be a link to an article in VW's future in electric and US rallycross in the quote.

"Welsch also confirmed that VW was sitting on a steering group developing a championship for all-electric rallycross cars in the future. "We're looking at, yes," he said."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...y-championship
Old 7 Dec 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3694526)   #89
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet, but The Checkered Flag are reporting that VW Sweden will only run the European Championship in 2017:

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...lycross-plans/
Old 7 Dec 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3694534)   #90
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet, but The Checkered Flag are reporting that VW Sweden will only run the European Championship in 2017:

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...lycross-plans/
With all this talk of WRX teams dropping down to ERX I am getting worried that the Lydden round might only have a handful of super cars competing!!
Old 7 Dec 2016, 15:55 (Ref:3694549)   #91
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
2x Hoonigan Ford (Block, Bakkerud)
3x (Loeb, T Hansen, K Hansen)
1x Solberg
2x Team Austria
2x All-Inkl

10 cars - I think these are safe bets for full season WRX.

Than we have maybe:
2x EKS
1x Larsson

I don't see new teams enter.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3694551)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
With total split up between ERX & WRX heats/finals and prospect of smaller WRX grid. Could it be IMG will use the speedway format for WRX like in their original plan?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 16:22 (Ref:3694555)   #93
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Hoonigan, Solberg and WRX Austria is pretty much "confirmed". EKS has begun winter testing, posting a video on facebook testing in Mettet so they seem to be continuing.

WRX Austria has built one car for next year and they are also posting some things on their facebook page. Block and Bakkerud have wrote sometimes too on facebook they are looking ahead for next season. Like you say Peugeot will probably also be back.

Larsson won't be back. I am unsure of All-ink since they will extend their touring car program.

Confirmation of the rumor I heard of Marklund pulling out. Also, Johan K apparently got some options for next year in WRX.
http://www.vf.se/uncategorized/volks...steg-tillbaka/
Old 19 Dec 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3697104)   #94
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As expected, Magda Andersson announced today that she will partner Anton Marklund in an Euro RX campaign for Marklund Motorsport.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3697105)   #95
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Marklund Motorsport Facebook post indicates that they will run the European Championship in 2017 with Magda Andersson and Anton Marklund.

Albatec Racing - Peugeot 208 - Jere Kalliokoski (Euro RX)
Marklund Motorsport - Volkswagen Polo - Magda Andersson (Euro RX)
Marklund Motorsport - Volkswagen Polo - Anton Marklund (Euro RX)
Old 22 Dec 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3697953)   #96
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but Robin Larsson has put his Audi up for sale:

https://www.facebook.com/Larssonrx/p...type=3&theater

I wonder what the plan is for 2017?
Old 22 Dec 2016, 18:24 (Ref:3697954)   #97
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is fresh air?
Old 22 Dec 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3697978)   #98
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
What is fresh air?
I assume the type of anti-lag system.
Old 22 Dec 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3697984)   #99
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I assume this is the end of the cooperation between Marklund Motorsport and KMS?
Old 23 Dec 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3698062)   #100
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
There never should have been one anyway. I quite liked the way they both went in slightly different directions in 2015.

But I guess the VW cash only goes so far.

Shame to see Larsson selling up, but I guess he will be back with something better, I feel that car had immense potential and stayed good until really this year when it was beaten on pace a bit. Certainly a better route than the Ekstrom car and with the same money spent on it would have been just as quick, and looked far nicer too!!

If you can win a round and get into A Finals as a privateer you have a serious bit of kit under your arse!