Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 16 Dec 2011, 00:16 (Ref:3000538)   #151
Brioche
Rookie

France
Saint Malo
Brioche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, before joining FIA, Berger said he was interested in some role at Super Nova. At first, i didn't understand what he was going to do there, but if confirmed this purchase by the malaysians, it'll make more sense.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 10:23 (Ref:3000684)   #152
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
final calendar - the words 'oh' and 'dear' spring to mind:

DateVenue 
28-29 Feb- 01 MarchJerez de la Frontera, SpainTest
6-7-8 MarchBarcelona, SpainTest
23-25 MarchKuala Lumpur, MalaysiaRace
20-22 AprilSakhir, BahrainRace
26-28 AprilSakhir, BahrainRace
11-13 MayBarcelona, SpainRace
24-26 MayMonte Carlo, MonacoRace
22-24 JuneValencia, SpainRace
06-08 JulySilverstone, Great-BritainRace
20-22 JulyHockenheim, GermanyRace
27-29 JulyBudapest, HungaryRace
31 Aug – 02 SeptemberSpa-Francorchamps, BelgiumRace
07-09 SeptemberMonza, ItalyRace
21-23 SeptemberSingapore, SingaporeRace
Old 16 Dec 2011, 10:28 (Ref:3000686)   #153
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Michel
"GP2 being the natural and logical path to Formula 1, it is imperative that our calendar carries as many F1 tracks as possible, including tracks outside Europe, which is why we added Bahrain, Sepang and Singapore this season."

"However, the Series has also to remain affordable, therefore we did not want to add more overseas circuits".
I fail to see how going to Malaysia, Bahrain and Singapore is going to help make the series affordable (I'd question the use of his word 'remain').

And two weekends at bloody Bahrain?
Old 16 Dec 2011, 11:21 (Ref:3000715)   #154
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think they could justify singapore easily on the 'monaco' basis - it's a one off and looks fantastic. it's the others that are dubious. that's 10 days at least of hotel rooms for bahrain. shipping wise, if they use sea then it's not a great deal more than the cost of a return truck journey to turkey. unfortunately with a 2 week gap until barcelona they'd have to air freight back from bahrain...

just doing the maths for those first few rounds is scary. you're almost halfway towards a single fr3.5 budget on shipping, hotel and airfare costs alone.

yikes.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 12:42 (Ref:3000778)   #155
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if i got my maths right 12 feature races and 12 short races = 24 races in total
Old 16 Dec 2011, 13:58 (Ref:3000808)   #156
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Costa mentioned something re. SNR on italiaracing.net, it was coming, sad it's end of the road for the ART of F3000 era.

Did/does Sears own Nova team in Japan?!

@bella it would be ok if they found sponsors for that flyaway races - a sponsor/race promoter which would cover the costs of accomodation, logistics, etc. But GP2 won't do it. That's why I still think we can expect majorannouncements from FR3.5 teams.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 15:48 (Ref:3000847)   #157
Brioche
Rookie

France
Saint Malo
Brioche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This calendar sucks. Why there are 2 consecutive rounds in Bahrain? What about Singapore, it'll be a special event just like Dubai this year?
Old 16 Dec 2011, 15:59 (Ref:3000852)   #158
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
@bella it would be ok if they found sponsors for that flyaway races - a sponsor/race promoter which would cover the costs of accomodation, logistics, etc. But GP2 won't do it. That's why I still think we can expect majorannouncements from FR3.5 teams.
yeah, i think historical precedence is pretty significant on the funding for shipping and accomodation costs though - ie it doesn't happen. one would hope they all act as one in the first place to try and gain a good rate for freight but they are stuck because the f1 calendar doesn't make it easy to save money by using seafreight instead of airfreight.

for example you'd almost definitely have to airfreight out to singapore after monza, though you could get away with sea on the way back. bcn test to malaysia would be airfreight, malaysia to bahrain could be sea, bahrain to bcn is air...

it's just bringing everything up another level. arsing around with freight takes a lot of paperwork as well, even with an agent. the extra arrangements are almost guranteeing that some teams would need to employ someone extra purely to sort out the logistics if they haven't already. effectively putting your head truckie behind a desk rather than behind the wheel, for example. that's another area where a team can't economise to bring the rates back into the affordable brackets for most drivers.

course i could be talking out of my trousers, but i'm looking at it purely from a normal business point of view. and since lots of drivers dads and wallet-holders are normal businessmen, they'll see the same disconnects we do.

if anyone has any knowledge to contribute with regards to specific costs, staffing, that sort of thing feel free. if you're not registered on the forum, then register. you can easily share your wisdom without betraying your identity and getting yourself into trouble, just be smart about it
Old 16 Dec 2011, 20:35 (Ref:3000974)   #159
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think they could justify singapore easily on the 'monaco' basis - it's a one off and looks fantastic. it's the others that are dubious. that's 10 days at least of hotel rooms for bahrain. shipping wise, if they use sea then it's not a great deal more than the cost of a return truck journey to turkey. unfortunately with a 2 week gap until barcelona they'd have to air freight back from bahrain...

just doing the maths for those first few rounds is scary. you're almost halfway towards a single fr3.5 budget on shipping, hotel and airfare costs alone.

yikes.
Isn't stuff like this what killed F3000, or am I off?
Old 16 Dec 2011, 21:50 (Ref:3001002)   #160
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Isn't stuff like this what killed F3000, or am I off?
Not sure, possibly had a bearing, but my understanding was that it was poor promotion and excessively high budgets for the return on investment.

GP2 budgets are astromnomical but at least every round supports a GP weekend. That only happened with F3000 only in its first season IIRC, when most of the rounds were GP supporters, but most of them time the series ran on its own at some pretty random circuits with no spectators!

The other argument was that when it was a spec DFV engine formula, costs were contained. When the Mugen lump came on the scene in 1989, the engine was much more expensive and the smart thinking was that to be competitive you had to have one. Reality was quite different though, as a well looked after DFV could still do the job but by the time people started to realise this, the damage had been done.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 21:51 (Ref:3001003)   #161
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella you've pretty much hit the nail on the head regards transportation.

Shipping from Southern Europe to the Middle East is about 2 weeks I should think Malaysia is about a month. So everything will have to be Air Freighted after Barcelona. But when they did Bahrain in the early years everything went from Stansted. regardless of what Country your team was based in.
Even with airfreight the team haven't got a lot of time to prep the cars pack the flight cases and then get it to Stansted.

All freight is organised by DHL and paperwork isn't to bad, so not really necessary to employ extra people, the team should be pretty good at it and packing into flight cases after so many years of GP2 Asia.

The Asia series has always been a bit of a joke, and GP2 have always done all they can to force team to do it, even though most team weren't interested.
The first Asia Series they told team that if they signed up to their entry into the next 3 years of the Main Series would be look upon more favourably. Then of course Racing Engineering didn't jump to their tune, but still got a Main Series Entry, so the next time both entries were up for review they said the team had to do both series, probably because it was obvious that most teams would get out if they could as they had found it difficult to get driver to pay for the series. Finally after the Asia series just turned into extended test sessions with drivers swapping seat they joined both series together.

But the thing is not only have they got fly away's they've increased the races from 10 to 12 and the 4 extra races will probably cost more than the 8 European rounds. If they kept it to 10 with 2 fly away's and maybe with enough time to ship them then it would have been far better for the budgets.But maybe somebodys ego is getting in the way of good sense.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 22:18 (Ref:3001018)   #162
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
fwiw northern china is 33 days from the uk, and shanghai was about 28 so i guess between 24-28 for malaysia is fair. then knock a week off that for bahrain, if that goes ahead. if they're going on scheduled boats they could lose a week through the timetables not quite being right.

that's the sort of amazing, fantastic schedule you could do if it was run as a junior f1 series, and funding is extracted from the f1 teams, but it isn't. you can't run before you can walk and as such they need to get that sort of financial structure in place to make sure drivers can afford to pitch themselves to f1 teams.

i feel like there should be a standard *reasonable* budget in gp2, and anything else has to be found by the teams. totally unworkable, i realise, but it would maybe even it out a bit.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 19:20 (Ref:3001320)   #163
skells22
Veteran

I just hope after the christmas break i find out which channel will show GP2 as i need to know for those GP2 threads for next year for anyone asking in the UK.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 19:26 (Ref:3001325)   #164
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
since that's all you post, yes... you clearly do. try watching the races and telling us what you thought of them next season too!
Old 17 Dec 2011, 19:45 (Ref:3001332)   #165
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain is such a WEIRD choice for 2 races, too. The second weekend is just going to be deserted. I presume it was done to make it seem more affordable to ship everything out there for 4 races as opposed to 2??

What does this mean budget wise now? Between 3 and 4 million euros for a top seat?
Old 18 Dec 2011, 13:06 (Ref:3001526)   #166
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Bahrain is such a WEIRD choice for 2 races, too. The second weekend is just going to be deserted. I presume it was done to make it seem more affordable to ship everything out there for 4 races as opposed to 2??

What does this mean budget wise now? Between 3 and 4 million euros for a top seat?
Agree - having 1 round is Bahrain is risky enough given all that is going on, but two? Was Abu Dhabi dropped on the grounds of cost? Because at least many of the drivers would have been there for the F1 Young Guns test.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 20:34 (Ref:3001644)   #167
skells22
Veteran

anymore pre-christmas gp2 driver announcement or do we wait until next year?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 12:28 (Ref:3001836)   #168
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed Super Nova is removed for the GP2 Series website. So I guess they're official done now?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 19:07 (Ref:3001964)   #169
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
I noticed Super Nova is removed for the GP2 Series website. So I guess they're official done now?
So will the team now be known as Meritus or something else, do we know?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:03 (Ref:3002012)   #170
skells22
Veteran

I say wait for news on that front.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 12:49 (Ref:3002207)   #171
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
It could get a little awkward with Meritus in GP2. Bruno Michel knows what reputation they enjoy in Asia. But at the end of the day, our fate is decided for us. All we can do is hope we have the strength to cope with the hand she deals us. Good luck Bruno.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 15:52 (Ref:3002286)   #172
skells22
Veteran

this just answered my own question this, we have a GP2 Driver signed up but at time of posting no name or team (cue from facebook again)
Old 20 Dec 2011, 17:01 (Ref:3002320)   #173
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
or twitter. julian leal at trident.

nuff sed on that one really...
Old 20 Dec 2011, 17:40 (Ref:3002336)   #174
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or GP2 Series website ... and now Super Nova is back on ... weird.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 19:08 (Ref:3002374)   #175
skells22
Veteran

can i correct you, same team different driver, the one that step in for an injured driver at monza this year. it is also on facebook

Last edited by skells22; 20 Dec 2011 at 19:16.