Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Feb 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2823647)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic 24 hours race (UK 2012)

Did I read about this somewhere? If so, does anyone know who the organising club are? Presumably the venue would have to be Silverstone or Snetts.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2823648)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Did I read about this somewhere? If so, does anyone know who the organising club are? Presumably the venue would have to be Silverstone or Snetts.
There was a discussion here-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126060
Old 1 Feb 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2823663)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was something about one in motorsports news recently, not the 360 involved, may have been masters or someone like that. Perhaps even MSV.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2823670)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it was mooted by Juliius T, but not sure.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2823671)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think it was mooted by Juliius T, but not sure.
Yes, think you are right but just proposal at that time. Not heard any more since.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2823723)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You are both right; it is, at the moment, being considered .... but seriously. Mentioned in the December 9th issue of Autosport and Kev was party to conversation that triggered the initiative.

Last edited by John Turner; 1 Feb 2011 at 11:10. Reason: See below!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2823745)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
As we (360MRC) have been given to understand, Snetterton only has one 24hour and one 12 hour race in their planning approval. The 24 hour race is already allocated to the existing 2CV race and the 12 hour race has been allocated to the Mazda endurance, scheduled to be held in November.
It would therefore appear that the facility for a further 24 hour race at Snetterton, in the forseeable future, is likely to be a non-starter.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2823751)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
As we (360MRC) have been given to understand, Snetterton only has one 24hour and one 12 hour race in their planning approval. The 24 hour race is already allocated to the existing 2CV race and the 12 hour race has been allocated to the Mazda endurance, scheduled to be held in November.
True ...... for this year!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2823757)   #9
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure JT, that the interested parties involved (including 360MRC) will not be falling into the trap of allowing their plans or negotiations to be carried out in a public forum!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2823760)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm sure that you are right, and I've not said anything that I didn't get prior agreement to either! All I've said is that you are right for this year - who knows what next year or the year after will bring - I certainly don't!

However, I've decided to remove one of my statements above to allay any concerns.

Last edited by John Turner; 1 Feb 2011 at 11:09.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2823766)   #11
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I'm sure that you are right, and I've not said anything that I didn't get prior agreement to either! All I've said is that you are right for this year - who knows what next year or the year after will bring - I certainly don't!
I wasn't suggesting, for one moment, that you were John .

As for next year or the year after? If we're all still here and solvent - that'll be a result!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2823768)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John, see my edits; don't wish to pre-empt anything; I have no crystal ball either but let's make sure that we are all here and solvent to enjoy whatever transpires!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2823773)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should I be confused??
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2823780)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No it's just the grumpy old men.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2823788)   #15
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
No it's just the grumpy old men.
...and I always thought that you were 'one of us'
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2823799)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope I'm a grumpy old git.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2823806)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nope I'm a grumpy old git.
LOL
Very good.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2823812)   #18
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone succeeds in the future in securing a 24 hr race at Snetterton for historic sports cars ( I was involved in 8 Willhires) bear in mind if it is to be a success in critical terms and financial terms and be sustained annually over a period of years ( the Willhire lasted 14yrs) it will need a full grid of cars competitive in their classes .To produce a good spectacle and spead the costs as thinly as possible.
In the 80s on the 2 mile layout that meant 38 starters. On the 3 mile circuit presumably quite a few more would be permitted to start.
It needs a big multi-national title sponsor who can subsidise to a substantial extent entry fees, and tight technical and sporting rules to control competitor expenditure to an absolute minimum( it is arms races that kill these sort of events ) for it to be sustained over years.
It needs everything possible to get a good crowd turnout ( in its heyday the whole infield was one massive campsite) So it needs lots of publicity in imaginative ways .Anglia Television were always a great supporter broadcasting the press day, practice before and race after the weekend.
Now it probably also needs coverage preferably live by a dedicated motor sport television channel ( there are plenty now 25 years ago there were none )

I suspect it would be an undertaking now beyond the reach of an independent club and probably needs the circuit owner to take on what could well be a financial loss on the weekend for several years before it became established.
It is a great idea with a full ,good quality field it could become a highlight of the motor racing season. It also would need massive amounts of promotion and would be a big financial gamble.
We should have a really good 24hr race in this country but they do take years to build a reputation and following.Don't hold your breath.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2823856)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH View Post
If anyone succeeds in the future in securing a 24 hr race at Snetterton for historic sports cars ( I was involved in 8 Willhires) bear in mind if it is to be a success in critical terms and financial terms and be sustained annually over a period of years ( the Willhire lasted 14yrs) it will need a full grid of cars competitive in their classes .To produce a good spectacle and spead the costs as thinly as possible.
In the 80s on the 2 mile layout that meant 38 starters. On the 3 mile circuit presumably quite a few more would be permitted to start.
It needs a big multi-national title sponsor who can subsidise to a substantial extent entry fees, and tight technical and sporting rules to control competitor expenditure to an absolute minimum( it is arms races that kill these sort of events ) for it to be sustained over years.
It needs everything possible to get a good crowd turnout ( in its heyday the whole infield was one massive campsite) So it needs lots of publicity in imaginative ways .Anglia Television were always a great supporter broadcasting the press day, practice before and race after the weekend.
Now it probably also needs coverage preferably live by a dedicated motor sport television channel ( there are plenty now 25 years ago there were none )

I suspect it would be an undertaking now beyond the reach of an independent club and probably needs the circuit owner to take on what could well be a financial loss on the weekend for several years before it became established.
It is a great idea with a full ,good quality field it could become a highlight of the motor racing season. It also would need massive amounts of promotion and would be a big financial gamble.
We should have a really good 24hr race in this country but they do take years to build a reputation and following.Don't hold your breath.
why couldn't it be run to the same commercial model as the 2CV 24h ?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2823866)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Thanks Richard. That's all very valuable advice and observation and I personally can't fault any of your logic. It could well be that the economic climate isn't right to introduce something like this at the present time but, on the other hand, it only takes the right conversation, on the right day, with the right person, who has access to some corporate purse strings, for it to be commercially viable - very often these things succeed, not because of what you know but because of who you know. We're not giving up on the dream just yet!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2823873)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
why couldn't it be run to the same commercial model as the 2CV 24h ?
David. See post No 7.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2823893)   #22
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
David. See post No 7.
understand planning rules, it was a question to Richard H...
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2823899)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would also suggest the 2CV's are see as more environmentally sound and therefore more socially acceptable and easier to sell to the locals and knockers in several areas of economy, noise (in particular) and the use of old vehicles than a race catering for modern cars or cars of any capacity.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 1 Feb 2011 at 14:15.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2823917)   #24
RTH
Racer

Quote:
Thanks Richard. That's all very valuable advice and observation and I personally can't fault any of your logic. It could well be that the economic climate isn't right to introduce something like this at the present time but, on the other hand, it only takes the right conversation, on the right day, with the right person, who has access to some corporate purse strings, for it to be commercially viable - very often these things succeed, not because of what you know but because of who you know. We're not giving up on the dream just yet!
Oh absolutely true that has often been how things have started in the past.
A banker in receipt of a multi million pound annual bonus who happened to be very keen on getting a British Le Mans underway could do it with the wave of a cheque book. Let us hope someone would. One of the chaps that started Google just got a $100M pay out !

I see todays results BP have revealed a quarterly operating profit of £5BN so that is £20BN per year ( they do have a £22BN clean up cost spread over the next 10 years ).

With the potentially serious trouble in the middle east spreading ,crude oil went through the $100 a barrel mark again yesterday which is yet more massive windfall profits for the oil majors. Unless of course supplies get halted.

Say £50,000 would be a very tiny sum these days to a major oil company
So it could happen...know any enthusiasts who can direct advertising funds for billion pound companies ?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2823926)   #25
RTH
Racer

[QUOTE=MGDavid;2823856]why couldn't it be run to the same commercial model as the 2CV 24h ? QUOTE]

Its a fair point, they are very long established at Mondello before Snetterton.
Their model was always ultra low cost and have built up loyal supporters over many years.That is impressive.
Snetterton have just spent £3.5 M on this winters changes. I imagine they want to raise the image of the circuit attract more prestigious events bring in television and run some truly international races for LMP and DTM , WTCC cars etc . Look to drawing in real crowds consistantly for the first time in a very long time.
One make anything least of all elderly 2CVs only have any attraction for those actually taking part so I cannot see it having lasting appeal for the circuit owner or indeed any commercial backer. Good for them by being frugal they have managed to keep going but as you say things can change sometimes very quickly.