Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Jun 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2904953)   #226
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Interesting article in DSC about the WEC. Malcolm seems to believe that the North American event will not be at a track the ALMS currently visits, nor will it actually be an ALMS event.

Homestead? Texas?

Daytona 24?

Sometimes it defies logic as to what the ACO might be thinking, assuming Malcolm has been correctly informed, which he usually is.
Well, not racing at ALMS events would clear up the issues about TV rights and such. It still seems like a pretty dumb idea though. Maybe they will race at Montreal or some other Canadian venue? Maybe Mexico? Peugeot would probably like that.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2905001)   #227
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Well, not racing at ALMS events would clear up the issues about TV rights and such. It still seems like a pretty dumb idea though. Maybe they will race at Montreal or some other Canadian venue? Maybe Mexico? Peugeot would probably like that.
Perhaps the Texas Austin GP track. It would make alot of sense for them to not use an ALMS venue because that would clear up the tv rigths issue as you've stated. They certainly want this race to be on either CBS,Fox, or ABC. Without the awful commentators.

If only everyone could be as excited as John Hindaugh
Old 24 Jun 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2905005)   #228
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Athertons take on things.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ec-involvement
Old 24 Jun 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2905020)   #229
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Malcolm claims that the ALMS didn't know about the WEC until it's announcement. What is to say he really knows what is going on with the schedule or future plans?

One of the key words there is "hopeful"... it says right there he doesn't know if his races will be involved... but he is "hopeful".
Old 24 Jun 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2905023)   #230
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^Yikes. Imagine a Sebring or Petit with only the current ALMS grids and a couple of European visitors... scary stuff. Surely one of them will be included at least. Sebring 2009 only had 26 starters if I remember correctly. At least it included Peugeot vs. Audi and the Acuras.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2905038)   #231
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you read Dagys' "5 questions with Frederic-Henry Biabaud" article from this week and look at the second question, it seems as if Sebring is in for at least 2012. Then again, who knows.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2905040)   #232
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If WEC is not racing at Sebring or Petit, then probably the ACO's direction is that all WEC races will be ACO property and no joint races at all with LMS or ALMS.

That means throw the existing ILMC calendar out of the window, except Le Mans and maybe China (already an ACO event).

The 2012 calendar could look like this:
1. Brazil
2. USA
3. Spa
4. Le Mans
5. Silverstone
6. India
7. China 1
8. China 2
Old 24 Jun 2011, 04:11 (Ref:2905041)   #233
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please note that I'm using my old log-in here, so I'm not Ed. DSC, but I am eddsc..
John Dagys's latest article ensures that one of my points might be out of date (with Scott Atherton pushing for Sebring and PLM to be the two American events). But the organisers did originally suggest that they wouldn't be.
Are these two tracks ratified for FIA events though?
I think I preferred 2004 to 2011...
Old 24 Jun 2011, 05:08 (Ref:2905046)   #234
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Road Atlanta has definitely not been inspected, and if it were, would probably be found insufficient to hold a combined ALMS/WEC grid.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2905071)   #235
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
If WEC is not racing at Sebring or Petit, then probably the ACO's direction is that all WEC races will be ACO property and no joint races at all with LMS or ALMS.

That means throw the existing ILMC calendar out of the window, except Le Mans and maybe China (already an ACO event).

The 2012 calendar could look like this:
1. Brazil
2. USA
3. Spa
4. Le Mans
5. Silverstone
6. India
7. China 1
8. China 2
If there really is the amount of activity rumoured from Japan i would be surprised if a Japanese race is not on the schedule
Old 24 Jun 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2905322)   #236
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't think that WEC entries can fill a track. It's 4-7 LMP1s, a couple of LMP2s, and GTs come from local teams who already run in the continental championships (e.g. AF Corse en Europe, Risi in North America).
Old 24 Jun 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2905325)   #237
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Super GT covers the domestic market, but that series is also venturing out to China, Malaysia etc., so perhaps Japanease manufacturers would welcome two China rounds.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:00 (Ref:2905329)   #238
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I don't think that WEC entries can fill a track. It's 4-7 LMP1s, a couple of LMP2s, and GTs come from local teams who already run in the continental championships (e.g. AF Corse en Europe, Risi in North America).
There's around thirty full season entries, Rebellion, Pescarolo and Strakka have indicated they are looking at two car P1 teams, there's the possibility of ORECA-Nissans, customer AMR-Ones, another pair of Lola-Toyotas, Dempsey, AF Corsa and Krohn P2's etc.

I wouldn't take anything for granted, but with higher stakes, you'll see more investment, all the while trying to keep costs in check.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2905392)   #239
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I wouldn't take anything for granted, but with higher stakes, you'll see more investment, all the while trying to keep costs in check.
That does bring up an interesting point about why LMP2 is involved in a world championship at all. LMP2 is supposed to be a class with costs that are kept in check, so it seems strange to have them flying all over the world.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2905404)   #240
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Sebring's certification is not an issue for bringing a WEC event, so red herring there.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2905440)   #241
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That does bring up an interesting point about why LMP2 is involved in a world championship at all. LMP2 is supposed to be a class with costs that are kept in check, so it seems strange to have them flying all over the world.
Field filler material would be my guess. Same with GTE-Am. Also, I guess they feel that there are a lot of gentleman drivers who want to compete in the WEC. They may be right about that. I thought keeping LMP2 out of the WEC might be one way to keep the national series vital (well, the LMS at least), but I guess not.

The other thing is that some pretty big OEMs have their name on LMP2 engines with some big names potentially on the way (Ferrari, Mazda, Lotus, etc.). Ok, Honda/HPD may be on the way out, but still. Those names look nice on the entry list.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2905446)   #242
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
What do you mean with the FIA inspection/certifying? The circuit grading system? Both Sebring and Road Atlanta are Grade 2 circuits. Grade 1 is only required for F1 anyway.

Source: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...128479#p128479
Old 24 Jun 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2905456)   #243
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Field filler material would be my guess. Same with GTE-Am. Also, I guess they feel that there are a lot of gentleman drivers who want to compete in the WEC. They may be right about that. I thought keeping LMP2 out of the WEC might be one way to keep the national series vital (well, the LMS at least), but I guess not.

The other thing is that some pretty big OEMs have their name on LMP2 engines with some big names potentially on the way (Ferrari, Mazda, Lotus, etc.). Ok, Honda/HPD may be on the way out, but still. Those names look nice on the entry list.
I suppose you are right, just because LMP2 is a cost-capped class doesn't necessarily mean teams are running on shoe-string budgets. And the manufacturers cant mind having other people foot the bill to run their P2 engines on the big state.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2905458)   #244
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
What do you mean with the FIA inspection/certifying? The circuit grading system? Both Sebring and Road Atlanta are Grade 2 circuits. Grade 1 is only required for F1 anyway.

Source: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...128479#p128479
Despite never being inspected, it's graded level 2? Proof being an internet forum?

btw... my information on Sebring came from Sebring this morning... it is not currently certified.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2905480)   #245
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
btw... my information on Sebring came from Sebring this morning... it is not currently certified.
does the FIA require a certain level of smoothness in the pavement on track? If so, Sebring would have some major work ahead of them.

edit: what other tracks would be good (by FIA track rating standards) for a WEC round? Utah? Watkins Glen? Laguna?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2905491)   #246
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Probably none are 'good enough' to please the FIA, but they'll race them anyway. My guess is the new track in Texas will be 1 of the American tracks.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2905511)   #247
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Despite never being inspected, it's graded level 2? Proof being an internet forum?

My apology, Sebring is Level 2. It is Road Atlanta that isn't currently certified.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2905642)   #248
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sorry that I didn't get the transcript of your call this morning, but I still don't think that list has been completely pulled out of the poster's ass even if there is a contradiction. If it is from some document, it's not available on fia.com. That post was made in 2009 though and "expires" column says 12 for both tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
does the FIA require a certain level of smoothness in the pavement on track? If so, Sebring would have some major work ahead of them.
Some related documents here: http://fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulatio.../Circuits.aspx

Last edited by deggis; 25 Jun 2011 at 10:34.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2905686)   #249
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The circuit licence list is/was on FPAK (the Portuguese ASN's) website.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2913898)   #250
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The guy who posted that on F1T is a circuit architect, so he must know a thing or two. That being said if you look at the date, it's Oct 11, 2009.