Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Jun 2014, 02:51 (Ref:3425161)   #26
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I drove one quite a bit on track earlier this year. It's better than previous Vette's but it's still a Vette.
Well that's good news. If I were driving a car all day thinking it was a vette but found out later it was a Porsche, I'd be ****ed.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 03:52 (Ref:3426132)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Well that's good news. If I were driving a car all day thinking it was a vette but found out later it was a Porsche, I'd be ****ed.
It still has the same characteristics of any other Vette. People had described this new car as one to take it to the europeans, light and nimble and all sorts of effusive exaggeration to describe the new car. It's better than before, but it's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I think it has a decent fun factor but probably not something I would buy.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3426232)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It still has the same characteristics of any other Vette. People had described this new car as one to take it to the europeans, light and nimble and all sorts of effusive exaggeration to describe the new car. It's better than before, but it's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I think it has a decent fun factor but probably not something I would buy.
What would you buy with the same money in the US mountainstar?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3426528)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
What would you buy with the same money in the US mountainstar?
Of the top of my head, I'd spring for a new or used Nissan GTR. Never thought I'd say that, but I have enough laps with it that I could drive that car every day, all day, on track or the road and never tire of it.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:22 (Ref:3426602)   #30
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think that's why more and more Europeans love the Corvette (including myself). Whilst over here supercars like the R8 - my favourite European supercar - are technically perfect, people sometimes want something that is a little bit silly. Over here a LHD car made of composite, with an engine the same size as a lorry and the power of a small planet is a terrible idea but it's fun.

Over here you buy a Corvette because you want one, not because it's the best dynamically, or the most practical. Also, you may have been let out of your straitjacket long enough to hold a pen.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3426782)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Of the top of my head, I'd spring for a new or used Nissan GTR. Never thought I'd say that, but I have enough laps with it that I could drive that car every day, all day, on track or the road and never tire of it.
Good choice!

Must admit to having an inordinate fondness for rear wheel drive cars though!
Old 27 Jun 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3427003)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I had you pegged for a Porsche man. Well as you can tell, I'm pretty defensive about the Plastic Fantastic and have always loved them. When you say it feels like a Corvette, that's honestly good news to me.

The heart leads you in weird places sometimes. I bought a Dodge. With my own money. Never thought I'd say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
I think that's why more and more Europeans love the Corvette (including myself). Whilst over here supercars like the R8 - my favourite European supercar - are technically perfect, people sometimes want something that is a little bit silly. Over here a LHD car made of composite, with an engine the same size as a lorry and the power of a small planet is a terrible idea but it's fun.

Over here you buy a Corvette because you want one, not because it's the best dynamically, or the most practical. Also, you may have been let out of your straitjacket long enough to hold a pen.
That's good to hear and I'm glad that it "translates" to some people overseas. I know parts of American cars can come off as overly flashy, but it's intended to be fun. Like the snakeskin pattern in the Viper's tailights. There's no reason to do that, but it's cool. Then again, there no real reason to own a Viper.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 06:59 (Ref:3427035)   #33
wnut
Veteran

Challenger?

Now that is a thing of beauty!
Old 27 Jun 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3427200)   #34
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I had you pegged for a Porsche man. Well as you can tell, I'm pretty defensive about the Plastic Fantastic and have always loved them. When you say it feels like a Corvette, that's honestly good news to me.

The heart leads you in weird places sometimes. I bought a Dodge. With my own money. Never thought I'd say that.
I think I'm a Porsche man and have driven a variety of GT and turbo Porsches on track and on the road. But the one thing I will say about Porsche is that they are "cold". Very precise tools but no emotion.

I was always neutral about the GTR, but having spent some time with it, it's just a better car, puts a smile on my face and just plain fun to drive.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3427511)   #35
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Challenger?

Now that is a thing of beauty!
No, I'm afraid it's nothing that cool. My daily driver is a pick up.

Quote:
I think I'm a Porsche man and have driven a variety of GT and turbo Porsches on track and on the road. But the one thing I will say about Porsche is that they are "cold". Very precise tools but no emotion.

I was always neutral about the GTR, but having spent some time with it, it's just a better car, puts a smile on my face and just plain fun to drive.
I've never driven a 911, which I need to change, but they just don't 'do it' for me.

I didn't like GTRs until I saw one parked sideways on a hill at Rd. ATL. The hill overlooking T2 if your familiar with the track. It was charcoal gray with grey-almost-black wheels, dark tint, and Dale Earnhardt tag frame. It looked GOOD.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3427613)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I've never driven a 911, which I need to change, but they just don't 'do it' for me.

I didn't like GTRs until I saw one parked sideways on a hill at Rd. ATL. The hill overlooking T2 if your familiar with the track. It was charcoal gray with grey-almost-black wheels, dark tint, and Dale Earnhardt tag frame. It looked GOOD.
Clarkson always joked about 911's just being a big VW Super Beetle and there is a little bit of that feel to them to be fair. I think the track 911's are great, really nice cars to drive on track. The road ones are fine and sometimes I waffle back and forth, do I want one or not? It's a love/hate thing, they have a unique feel to them and you either like it or hate it. I think the ones I like are the 1989-1995 964's or the 1995-1998 993's. 993's hold their value and 964's are not too bad right now and would probably be more affordable for me. However I see a 944 or 968 in my future first.

The GTR's have some maintenance quirks with the transmission and expensive brakes but they are modern, hard charging, grippy cars and just really good with no drama.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 01:45 (Ref:3428328)   #37
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
No, I'm afraid it's nothing that cool. My daily driver is a pick up.
By far the best road car ever invented!

Quote:
I raced a Carrera cup car; not mine; that most certainly did it for me.
The rest of their offerings feel like VWs, especially late 60s and early 70s offerings which I most certainly don't get at all, terrible terrible cars!

Quote:

Have not driven the new GTR, but Godzilla was really impressive in its day!
Old 4 Dec 2014, 03:51 (Ref:3481697)   #38
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
They're here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrP...ature=youtu.be