Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Why do u love Le Mans?
Because it a great social occasion 0 0%
Because it is the greatest motor race in the world 28 93.33%
Because it good place to meet old friends 1 3.33%
Other 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Oct 2002, 22:17 (Ref:394437)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why do you love Le Mans?

Why do u love Le Mans?

I love because it the greatest motor race in the world.......
Old 2 Oct 2002, 22:58 (Ref:394457)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too, AND because it's a great place to meet friends and a wonderful social occasion.

But mostly because it's simply the greatest motor race in the world. People who think sitting in a grandstand seat for two hours watching cars turn left is a "great race" need to come to Le Mans.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 05:31 (Ref:394630)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Me too, AND because it's a great place to meet friends and a wonderful social occasion.
Liz, I couldn't agree more... but I love Le Mans for the place to, because it reminds me childhood... the Classic event was not the "june race", and I've loved it same at least...

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
People who think sitting in a grandstand seat for two hours watching cars turn left is a "great race" need to come to Le Mans.
What could I say more ? No offense, dear F1 fans, no offense !
Old 3 Oct 2002, 06:59 (Ref:394670)   #4
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
But mostly because it's simply the greatest motor race in the world. People who think sitting in a grandstand seat for two hours watching cars turn left is a "great race" need to come to Le Mans.

Le Manas is Le Mans, it's not a normal race it's a special race and motorsport event. We love you....Le Mans!!!!
Old 3 Oct 2002, 07:50 (Ref:394694)   #5
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole experience from start to finish is brilliant for me.

Set up base camp wednesday morning, and then the race lasts for five days of pure racing, drinking and relaxing in the sun
(hopefully).

Then watching the best race in the world unfold in front of you.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 09:20 (Ref:394742)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Le Mans is the greatest race and it ranks ahead of all others (even without belittling them).

I haven't been to an oval race, but there is obviously quite a spectacle there. (In fact I would like to see the Daytona 500, just once, but I would like to see it).

I also attend GP. Mainly at Spa (so I am spoilt a little) and really enjoy this. I wander round for practice, but watch the race from my grandstand seat!

However, better than these events, is Le Mans. Wander round seeing the great circuit. The great cars. Diversity is part of it too. Big engines. Smaller engines. Turbos. Front engined. Rear engined. Night racing. etc... etc...

However there are things that aren't as easy to explain:

Arriving at the track and seeing the grandstands for the first time each year.

The build-up
Four o'clock on Saturday
Four o'clock on Sunday
One o'clock in the morning. Rain. Indianapolis. Radio Le Mans.
The unexpected pitstop.
The backmarkers.
The random battle somewhere down the field.
Walkling on the track after the event.
etc...

Wow.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 09:45 (Ref:394753)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh jeez why...?!?!

Old 3 Oct 2002, 13:57 (Ref:394934)   #8
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love it because of all those beautiful cars coming together to race around the French countryside.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 14:17 (Ref:394946)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

What could I say more ? No offense, dear F1 fans, no offense !
i think turning only left is not a F1 thing .. but i think it is an IRL thing ...

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Oct 2002, 14:20 (Ref:394950)   #10
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say I have no ideea why I love LeMans ... but i just do .. or it's just me ....

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Oct 2002, 14:59 (Ref:394973)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I voted for the greatest race in the world. I think it is all of the above and more, but I think it is the others BECAUSE it is the greatest race in the world. It is much more of an event than any other race and the reasons for this are simple - it last for 24Hrs. No other 24Hr race can match because they dont have the history.
Also I think it is so important that it is French as it is run with a panache and style that long ago would have been lost to todays accountant lead society. The French somehow manage to ignore all that.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 15:14 (Ref:394979)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since I've never been, the only direct exposure I've had is through books, newspapers, magazines, and recently TV. I crave to experience the event, but for now it's merely the most important race in the world. (As if that isn't enough!)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Oct 2002, 15:33 (Ref:394982)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
i think turning only left is not a F1 thing .. but i think it is an IRL thing ...
Absoloutely right, I apologize... I was thinking of the guy paying a fortune in front of a left hand curve during the last F1 GP, and to see what...
Old 3 Oct 2002, 15:39 (Ref:394986)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
Also I think it is so important that it is French as it is run with a panache and style that long ago would have been lost to todays accountant lead society.
Thank you for that !

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
The French somehow manage to ignore all that.
I have to admit that we french are not "sportsmen" as, for example, British are... (I said for example !)

We are not so interressed by sport for the sport, maybe more by the result... I don't know... there's real LM fans in France, but not at a level we could expect... I can feel something changing nowadays, with the Track Association... difficult to say... don't you know there's a french forum about LM, created this year with the newspaper Le Mans Racing ? Not as living as TT, but...
Old 3 Oct 2002, 18:03 (Ref:395090)   #15
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we, french people, don't care for cars like the english do. I do love Le Mans, it IS the greatest race in the world (some years more than others). But in those days Le Mans wouldn't be Le Mans without the english men (and women of course...). I'm a damn fanatic(my wife says so) but i cant't compare to an english who comes with a roadster to Le Mans with only a pair of goggles.

And Fab, what is the address of this french forum, please ?

Early morning in Arnage is great:
Old 3 Oct 2002, 18:13 (Ref:395096)   #16
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Le Mans because of is the best race in the world... and also because of beatiful girls of Le Mans
Old 3 Oct 2002, 22:02 (Ref:395265)   #17
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chofar

Early morning in Arnage is great:
Dawn breaks, Arnage 1999. (from my Video8 camera)
Attached Thumbnails
20%20dawn%20breaks.jpg  
Old 4 Oct 2002, 05:25 (Ref:395445)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chofar
And Fab, what is the address of this french forum, please ?
Try this :
http://www.motorlegend.com/cgi-local...DaysPrune=1000

Nice name, BTW ! Interresting to translate to our englophones friends...
Old 4 Oct 2002, 13:04 (Ref:395738)   #19
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have so hard to try to reason why I go to a place for 5 days where the loo's are rancid at the best, the food is BBQ'd or a salad, the race is seldom actually close at the end, normally a gentle cruise to the end, team orders are the norm.

But everyone is there, you can see and talk to the teams, it is still alive and kicking at 3 AM. The fireworks, the Stella, the Hawiaaian sun tans and so on. Probably one of the best is the mix of cultures. French, British, German, USA, Japaniese and so on all mixing and sharing beers.

It is a magic event, and at the same time a motor race is under way

Simon
Old 4 Oct 2002, 20:04 (Ref:396005)   #20
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tanks Fab for the forum.
See you there ? (caught this name by playing vjdeo games!!)

And my comment about arnage was supposed to go with that:
Attached Thumbnails
lm90p441little.jpg  
Old 5 Oct 2002, 16:23 (Ref:396396)   #21
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

Absoloutely right, I apologize... I was thinking of the guy paying a fortune in front of a left hand curve during the last F1 GP, and to see what...
how many of them knew it was F1 ???? so .. they paid not to be at home for a couple of hours ....

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Oct 2002, 06:28 (Ref:396707)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why do I love Le Mans? Well there's a question! I've held back so far because I thought that everyone else would answer the question for me.

And they have.

Old 8 Oct 2002, 22:08 (Ref:398748)   #23
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do u love Le Mans?

I'm afraid I don't anymore.

After 18 years, I think I've been to my last for a while, although the classic event may be a worthwhile replacement.

But as far as the modern is concerned, poor grids, with no forseeable vast improvement, coupled with the restrictions now placed on spectators from viewing at those classic corners, have just about finished it for me.

It was the fence cutting the bank at Indianapolis in half that was my final straw. I had always hoped they'd put a big screen there, and then I wouldn't have to move for the whole 24 hours. Now there's no point in going there at all...