Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 2 Jun 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1625383)   #26
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
My initial enthusiasm for the Starkey book has been slightly tempered by the more recently acquired knowledge and feedback that there maybe some errors.
I think what Starkey has done on the T70s ranks alongside the very best works of research on individual models of car but with so many owners trying to pull the wool over his eyes, it's inevitable that some errors will have crept in. Any researcher is dependent on his sources, whether they be slightly inebriated Autosport journalists who failed to leave the bar in time to watch a GT race at Snetterton on a cold and rainy Saturday in March or owners who know there's something slightly iffy about the car they've just bought but are determined to get it the best possible write up on your web site or in your book. I don't actually know very much about F5000 cars - I only 'know' what I've read or been told and the value I add is in the interpretation of those 'facts'. Of the thousands of such facts on OldRacingCars.com, many will be erroneous. If only I knew which ones they were...

So yes, let's try to learn more about the T70s but I'd propose we send everything we discover to John so the 4th edition can be even better. Maybe we can even encourage John to use this thread as an errata in between editions.

Allen

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Nov 2007 at 00:10. Reason: Chassis archive edit.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1625553)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm not going to name names, Allen, but it isn't just drivers who have been expressing concern about the accuracy, which I readily accept must be difficult to achieve on any chassis history. Oh, and I did say 'slightly tempered', and I have at least 4 of his books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
So yes, let's try to learn more about the T70s but I'd propose we send everything we discover to John so the 4th edition can be even better. Maybe we can even encourage John to use this thread as an errata in between editions.
Couldn't agree more with those sentiments. If you know John and can persuade him (or if he pops in here anonymously, as a guest), we'd love to have him aboard and contributing here!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1634389)   #28
Barriebrdc
Rookie

Barriebrdc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T 70 Trivia

Here is another bit of trivia about the T70, I understand from my old mechanic that the T70 he was working before coming to wrench on my car, was taken to Porsche, measured and checked over, some months before their 917 came out, that was interesting at the time, 1969!
Barriebrdc
Old 5 Aug 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1674197)   #29
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been away from this thread for too long and am fascinated by the information that has come to light.
In some instances we can assume that to cloud the issues are those cars whose original engine and chassis may have been separated and thus ending up with 2 cars claiming to be the original.

Like so many other people who think this car the most pretty looking sports car made , and ahead of their time in shape .

Pete
Old 5 Sep 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1702154)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sl76/147

This car is for sale by GTC, see here:-

http://www.guikasgtc.fr/cadre.asp

Good history of the car is also provided (which I have copied to a personal word doc. for future reference, since I guess this info. will disappear once the car is sold!)
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1726868)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sl76/150

For sale by Autofocus on page 76 of the November issue of Classic & Sports Car. Described as 'Ex David Piper, full history, original car'.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 03:52 (Ref:1771127)   #32
tpayne
Rookie

tpayne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Starkey's T70 book does have errors. The contradictions on SL76/148 is just one of many other reasons to take his book with a grain of salt.

Thomas
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1810494)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sl76/148

This where we are with this particular chassis so far, taken from the thread in the, main forum, and I have sent a copy of this history to Chris Beighton.

LOLA T70 Mk 3B – SL76/148

Completed – 12/03/1969
Gearbox No. LG600-184
Engine – 304-011 Traco Chevrolet

• Sold to Picko Troberg, via Jo Bonnier
• 01/05 – Magny Cours – Troberg – 4th OA (No.92)
• 04/05 – Dijon – Troberg – 2nd OA (No. 5)
• 11/05 – Spa 1000Kms – Troberg/ B. Rothstein – 11th OA (No.34)
• 01/06 – Nurburgring 1000Kms – Troberg/Rothstein – DNS – crashed
in practice by Rothstein - Total write off - remains retained by Troberg, who (apparently) has retained them to this day.
• Lola supplied completely new car with same chassis no. to Troberg
• 06/07 – Anderstorp – Troberg - 4th
• 14/07 – Magny Cours – Ronnie Peterson - 1st OA
• 27/07 – Zeltweg (Ostereichring) – Peterson – crashed following radius rod failure, and rolled several times - very extensively damaged.
• ??/08 - Crashed remains returned to Lola
• ??/08 - Crashed remains sold to Barrie Smith,
• Lola built brand new car for Smith, using only the roof section and rebuilt engine and gearbox from the remains. The spare package included anything usable from the crashed remains
• 14/09 – Anderstorp – Barrie Smith – 7th
• 21/09 – Salzburgring – Smith - ?
• 27/09 – Zandvoort – Smith – DNF
• 19/10 – Hockenheim – Smith – 6th

• 11/01 – Buenos Aires 1000Kms – Smith/Ed Swart – DNF
• 18/01 – Buenos Aires 200miles – Swart - ?
• 28/03 – Thruxton G4/6 race – Smith – 4th OA
• 10/05 – Fassberg Airfield – Smith – 5th
• 21/06 – Monthlery G5/6 – Smith - 4th
• 28/06 – International Norisring Rennen – Smith – 9th
• 05/07 - Hockenheim Interserie – Smith 6th
• 19/07 – Magny Cours G5/6/7 – Ronnie Peterson – 5th
• 08/08 – Karlskoga – GP Sweden - ? – 11th
• 13/09 - Phoenix Park – Smith - 3rd (Alternator failed whilst leading)
• ??/09 – Crystal Palace – Smith - 1st
• 07/11 – Kyalami 9 Hours – Smith/Pretorious – 7th
• ??/11 - Returned to UK (NB – did not go to South America)

Sold to ? Farley – date/year?

• Sold to Mike Weatherill who did not use it
• Sold to Richard Bond

• 12/07 – Silverstone – Unicognac Trophy – Bond – 2nd OA (No. 201 – programme says car was red)
• 4 other races – Bond has 2 x 1st, 1 x 5th, & 1 x 7th

• Sold to Geoffrey Marsh (Marsh Plant Hire)
• Raced by Gerry Marshall

• Dubai Grand Prix – Marshall – 1st

• Sold to David Piper/Richard Attwood

• 27/06 – Thruxton – Jonathan Baker – 2nd OA
• 24-25/07 – Silverstone – Baker – 2nd OA
• 07/08 – Nurburgring – Mauro Borella – 4th in class

• 04/08 – Silverstone – Coys – The Visage Pre’ 72 Le Mans – Chris Strakosch – 3rd OA (No.15 – car still painted red and entered by David Piper)

• Sold to a French Collector
• Complete mechanical restoration which continued into 2003

• Sold to GTC
Old 6 Apr 2007, 08:40 (Ref:1884723)   #34
petestenning
Veteran

Sl76/149

I have recently received the following information regarding the above chassis which currently lives in Australia and is used in some historic events there.

Chassis SL76/149
Engine 350ci Chevrolet
Transmission Hewland LG600

Car History :-
Delivered in 1969 to Michael Grace d'Udy (Grand Bahama Racing Car Co.)
Raced 1969-1970 At Snetterton, Portugal,Kyalami,Killarney, Lourenco Marques,Sebring,Pietermaritzburg, Oulton Park, and Thruxton.
1ST at Oulton AND Thruxton
Driven by Frank Gardner & Michael D'Udy.
This car is currently Red with a Yellow stripe through the centre of the car and has been in Australia for several years..

I am seeking further information from my Australian contact which may include photos if they are not copyrighted and i have permission to publish.

Thanks to Paul from Melbourne for this information.

Peter
Old 7 Apr 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1885347)   #35
petestenning
Veteran

Following my initial post, and continuing my research into the history of the Lola T70 mk3b, I have made some amendments. Here follows my revised list so far:

chassis no team sold to or used by
SL76/134 Tech Speed Racing
SL76/138 Sid Taylor Racing
SL76/139 Penske 'Daytona 69 Winner'
SL76/140 Penske 'Spare Car'
SL76/141 Sportscars Unlimited of Switz.
SL76/142 Paul Hawkins Racing LTD
SL76/143 Ecurie Bonnier
SL76/144 Team Elite
SL76/145 Scuderia Filipinetti
SL76/146 John Woolfe Racing
SL76/147 Louis Morand
SL76/148 Picko Troberg via Joachim Bonnier/Avalon Racing'Barrie Smith'
SL76/149 Grand Bahama Racing Car Co.
SL76/150 David Piper Autoracing
SL76/151 Scuderia Filipinetti
SL76/152 Jacques Rey
SL76/153 A& J Motors Chadwell Heath

Some of these cars were possibly written off in accidents, have they been rebuilt?, Paul Hawkins car for example. And if so did they retain their original chassis no.?

If anyone can fill in any further gaps I would be grateful.

Peter

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Apr 2007 at 10:00. Reason: Peter, I have edited so show continuity. Hope that's OK.
Old 3 May 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1905894)   #36
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The yellow with white/red stripe raced by Barbot and Baker has the serial number SL76-136. In my chassis source the Mk3B numbers start at 138. Is this a prototype car?

Edit: on second thought it might be one of the Mk3B Spiders. It does have the right body without the gullwing doors.

Last edited by WouterM; 3 May 2007 at 16:27.
Old 9 May 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1909955)   #37
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have just published an article with shots of four different Mk3Bs:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=3214
Old 16 May 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1914991)   #38
grp2viva
Rookie

grp2viva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
The yellow with white/red stripe raced by Barbot and Baker has the serial number SL76-136. In my chassis source the Mk3B numbers start at 138. Is this a prototype car?

Edit: on second thought it might be one of the Mk3B Spiders. It does have the right body without the gullwing doors.
Hello all. Well here goes with my first post. I actually prepare 76/136 and 76/138 amongst others for a living.Carlos Barbot's car, SL76/136, is actually a 1979 Continuation car. Lola used up a few of the spare numbers when they built these cars in '79-'82. nice shots on your 3b feature page. I think I was at all of those races. Will be at Brands with Carlos at the end of May.
Hope this helps.

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering.
Old 17 May 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1915465)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnier Lola
I came across this forum whilst researching some history on my T70. I own the Ecurie Bonnier T70 MkIIIb SL76/143. Currently being rebuilt and is located in Lancashire. The Barbot (Portugal) and Sannett (USA) cars painted in the Bonnier colours are not the original car. Sannett caims his to be the original, however he does not have the original chassis plate as we do. It is beleived his car has been assembled from parts. Barbot's car was a production continuation car from the mid eighties I beleive, and very nice it is too.
Michael Hanson.
Copied over from thread in the History forum.
Old 17 May 2007, 18:21 (Ref:1915505)   #40
petestenning
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grp2viva
Hello all. Well here goes with my first post. I actually prepare 76/136 and 76/138 amongst others for a living.Carlos Barbot's car, SL76/136, is actually a 1979 Continuation car. Lola used up a few of the spare numbers when they built these cars in '79-'82. nice shots on your 3b feature page. I think I was at all of those races. Will be at Brands with Carlos at the end of May.
Hope this helps.

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering.
#

Hi Darren,
Welcome and i shall also be at Brands in May so may stop and say hello.

Pete
Old 17 May 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1915685)   #41
grp2viva
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petestenning
#

Hi Darren,
Welcome and i shall also be at Brands in May so may stop and say hello.

Pete
Thanks for the welcome, Pete. Do come by and say "Hello" if you gat the chance. You can't miss us, BIG loud yellow thing .

Darren
Old 29 May 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1924087)   #42
petestenning
Veteran

Darren i was there on Sunday but the car was deserted every time i popped into the garage.

Sadly Carlos did not get far in the 1st race so i did not want to intrude in case there was a problem and i would get in the way.

Anyone know if the continuation series of T70's still use SL76/??? as chassis numbers?

I learnt that the Martine Birrane car at Brands is the 1st of these continuation cars.

The sight of 2 T70's side by side in the first few laps of race one gave me goose bumps, more than when i first saw these car at Snetterton in 1969 , however 7 did make the ground move for me,

Pete

Perhaps my avatar should be SL76/136

Last edited by petestenning; 29 May 2007 at 20:12.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1957735)   #43
tomwdfarley
Rookie

tomwdfarley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T70 Sl76/148

I may be able to shed some light on one period in the life of the T70 chassis SL76/148. My father, John Farley, bought the T70 in 1971, changed the colour from red to dark blue and added some exhaust silencing before having it registered for road use. To the surprise of other road users, the car was driven as occasional transport around the South East of England for several years until he sold it to Mike Weatherill in 1974. One of the reasons John Farley bought the car was because he was so familiar with the Chevrolet engine. He was the first person to fit a V8 Chevrolet engine into a British Single seater racing car in 1962, turning a Formula 2 Cooper into the "Cooper-Chevrolet" which was very successful in hillclimbs, sprints and formula libre circuit racing in the hands of Chris Summers.

There is a reference to the car in Thoroughbred and Classis Cars (March 1976).

I would be most interested to see any recent photos of the car and to know when and where it will next be racing.

Tom Farley
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1959380)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sl76/148

Tom,

Welcome, and great to fill some of those gaps in this car's history - I think that I'll have to update my summary, since I also have to take one of the previously claimed results out also. Team Tiger (Jon Finnemore/Chris Beighton) own this car now and Chris was hoping to have it out this season, but decided on a more extensive overhaul than originally envisaged (as is so often the way!). Not sure whether it will be out thid year, now.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1962725)   #45
petestenning
Veteran

John if you can keep us informed as to when the Beighton car is likely to appear, especialy in the UK as i would like to be there and see the car.

Regards
Pete

PS i must catch up with you at one of these meetings.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1962947)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, well my son now tells me that the Silverstone Classic at the end of this month was the target date for its first outing after rebuild, but I don't know whether that is still feasible. I'm going anyway!
Old 26 Dec 2007, 08:46 (Ref:2094924)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
SL76/148 (Update)

Further update on this chassis. Additional info in bold. Any reference to Ronnie Peterson, after 27/07/69 has disappeared. Barrie Smith has advised that the car Peterson won at Magny Cours with on 14/07/69 was SL76/143, and he knows this because he was there, coming 2nd in a Chevron B8. Barrie was also driving at the same venue a year later (19/07) to take the recorded 5th place. Thanks also to Tom Farley for additional info regarding his father's ownership provided earlier in this thread.

The car has been out this year and I'll update results in due course.

LOLA T70 Mk 3B – SL76/148

Completed – 12/03/1969
Gearbox No. LG600-184
Engine – 304-011 Traco Chevrolet

• Sold to Picko Troberg, via Jo Bonnier
• 01/05 – Magny Cours – Troberg – 4th OA (No.92)
• 04/05 – Dijon – Troberg – 2nd OA (No. 5)
• 11/05 – Spa 1000Kms – Troberg/ B. Rothstein – 11th OA (No.34)
• 01/06 – Nurburgring 1000Kms – Troberg/Rothstein – DNS – crashed
in practice by Rothstein - Total write off - remains retained by Troberg, who (apparently) has retained them to this day.
• Lola supplied completely new car with same chassis no. to Troberg
• 06/07 – Anderstorp – Troberg - 4th
• 27/07 – Zeltweg (Ostereichring) – Peterson – crashed following radius rod failure, and rolled several times - very extensively damaged.
• ??/08 - Crashed remains returned to Lola
• ??/08 - Crashed remains sold to Barrie Smith,
• Lola built brand new car for Smith, using only the roof section and rebuilt engine and gearbox from the remains. The spares package included anything usable from the crashed remains
• 14/09 – Anderstorp – Barrie Smith – 7th
• 21/09 – Salzburgring – Smith - ?
• 27/09 – Zandvoort – Smith – DNF (puncture)
12/10 - Salzburgring - Smith - 4th
• 19/10 – Hockenheim – Smith – 6th

• 11/01 – Buenos Aires 1000Kms – Smith/Ed Swart – DNF
• 18/01 – Buenos Aires 200miles – Swart - ?
• 28/03 – Thruxton G4/6 race – Smith – 4th OA
• 10/05 – Fassberg Airfield – Smith – 5th
• 21/06 – Monthlery G5/6 – Smith - 4th
• 28/06 – International Norisring Rennen – Smith – 9th
• 05/07 - Hockenheim Interserie – Smith 6th
• 19/07 – Magny Cours G5/6/7 – Smith – 5th
• 08/08 – Karlskoga – GP Sweden - ? – 11th
• 13/09 - Phoenix Park – Smith - 3rd (Alternator failed whilst leading)
• ??/09 – Crystal Palace – Smith - 1st
• 07/11 – Kyalami 9 Hours – Smith/Pretorious – 7th
• ??/11 - Returned to UK (NB – did not go to South America)

acquired by John Farley, who changed colour from red to dark blue, modified the exhaust silencing and registered for road use

• Sold to Mike Weatherill who did not use it
• Sold to Richard Bond

• 12/07 – Silverstone – Unicognac Trophy – Bond – 2nd OA (No. 201 – programme says car was red)
• 4 other races – Bond has 2 x 1st, 1 x 5th, & 1 x 7th

• Sold to Geoffrey Marsh (Marsh Plant Hire)
• Raced by Gerry Marshall

• Dubai Grand Prix – Marshall – 1st

• Sold to David Piper/Richard Attwood

• 27/06 – Thruxton – Jonathan Baker – 2nd OA
• 24-25/07 – Silverstone – Baker – 2nd OA
• 07/08 – Nurburgring – Mauro Borella – 4th in class

• 04/08 – Silverstone – Coys – The Visage Pre’ 72 Le Mans – Chris Strakosch – 3rd OA (No.15 – car still painted red and entered by David Piper)

• Sold to a French Collector
• Complete mechanical restoration which continued into 2003

• Sold to GTC

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jan 2008 at 09:22.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2232594)   #48
petestenning
Veteran

Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by petestenning
Following my initial post, and continuing my research into the history of the Lola T70 mk3b, I have made some amendments. Here follows my revised list so far:

chassis no team sold to or used by
SL76/134 Tech Speed Racing
SL76/138 Sid Taylor Racing
SL76/139 Penske 'Daytona 69 Winner'
SL76/140 Penske 'Spare Car'
SL76/141 Sportscars Unlimited of Switz.
SL76/142 Paul Hawkins Racing LTD
SL76/143 Ecurie Bonnier
SL76/144 Team Elite
SL76/145 Scuderia Filipinetti
SL76/146 John Woolfe Racing
SL76/147 Louis Morand/Alan Minshaw 08
SL76/148 Picko Troberg via Joachim Bonnier/Avalon Racing'Barrie Smith'/ Chris Beighton 08
SL76/149 Grand Bahama Racing Car Co./Wayne Park/Bob Sherrard07 AUS
SL76/150 David Piper Autoracing
SL76/151 Scuderia Filipinetti
SL76/152 Jacques Rey
SL76/153 A& J Motors Chadwell Heath

Some of these cars were possibly written off in accidents, have they been rebuilt?, Paul Hawkins car for example. And if so did they retain their original chassis no.?

If anyone can fill in any further gaps I would be grateful.

Peter
Updated 19/06/2008
Old 20 Jun 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2233724)   #49
grp2viva
Rookie

Hi Peter.
Just a note for your list but, SL76/134 is not a 3b. Should be SL73/134, last Mk3. SL76/138 is the first 3b, with SL76/135 and SL76/136 being used on continuation cars around '78-'82.
Also if you are counting them, new build continuation cars,

HU76/159 David Coplowe.GB
HU76/160 Esmond Smith.GB
HU76/161 Pat?Hobart .USA.
HU76/162 Eduardo Davilla.ESP
HU76/163 Steve Tandy.GB

Are you going to LeMans Classic?

Darren.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2233750)   #50
petestenning
Veteran

Thanks Darren,
I am counting the continuation cars , but they are only that as they have no history as such.
Unfortunately no i am not at the Le Mans Classic .

Pete