Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Nov 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3691747)   #51
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Congrats to Nico, he scored the most points, made the most of his equipment and is a deserved champ.

The 'is he deserving' nonsense in the media is nauseating.

Who is to say Hamilton was more deserving? I'd have Ricciardo and in particular Max ahead of Hamilton in the same cars...

So the moral champion of 2016 is....Max V or Danny Ric.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3691774)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
The 'is he deserving' nonsense in the media is nauseating.
Totally agree. There was a very mean-spirited set of comments by a Radio 5 Live journalist yesterday within hours of Nico winning saying that he didn't deserve it, wasn't the best driver, had been lucky and all that sort of BS. Nico turned in a fast, consistent, competitive, mature season and is a worthy champion; for what it's worth, I also think he's a great ambassador for the sport, probably the best now Jenson has stepped aside. We're lucky to have him, and he's one of the best drivers on the grid. Is he the best? Probably not. But nor were Hill, or Surtees, or Brabham, or Scheckter, or Mansell, or Villeneuve. But they were among the best, and made the most of the opportunities presented to them. That's motor racing.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 17:24 (Ref:3691825)   #53
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Totally agree. There was a very mean-spirited set of comments by a Radio 5 Live journalist yesterday within hours of Nico winning saying that he didn't deserve it, wasn't the best driver, had been lucky and all that sort of BS. Nico turned in a fast, consistent, competitive, mature season and is a worthy champion; for what it's worth, I also think he's a great ambassador for the sport, probably the best now Jenson has stepped aside. We're lucky to have him, and he's one of the best drivers on the grid. Is he the best? Probably not. But nor were Hill, or Surtees, or Brabham, or Scheckter, or Mansell, or Villeneuve. But they were among the best, and made the most of the opportunities presented to them. That's motor racing.
Absolutely spot on, we all know Lewis would probably beat Nico over a season nine times out of ten, this was arguably his best chance and he grabbed it. Is he the best driver on the grid, nowhere near, but he is the world champ and a deserving one at that.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3691843)   #54
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well Nico won 9 races and the championship so yes he deserved it, Did not hear him wine about anything last year when he had problems and hamilton had all the luck. Hamilton has 3 championships and a couple of those have been fortunate particularly when Massa missed out, if he wants to be remembered it should be about his skill at driving which he has an abundance but his behaviour will often mean he is remembered for that and that is a shame
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:01 (Ref:3691877)   #55
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Absolutely spot on, we all know Lewis would probably beat Nico over a season nine times out of ten, this was arguably his best chance and he grabbed it. Is he the best driver on the grid, nowhere near, but he is the world champ and a deserving one at that.
I agree with your sentiment, as you were kind enough to agree with mine, but I don't think Rosberg is "nowhere near" the best driver on the grid. I reckon you've got Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen, you've got Alonso and Räikkönen, both of whom may have passed their peaks, and then Rosberg and Ricciardo are pretty damned close. I don't think it's a huge gulf.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3691878)   #56
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am glad for him. The parallels between his and Damon's title 20 season earlier are staggering. This was best opportunity he has yet and he's taken it and delivered. Well done indeed
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3691894)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The thing rhat stood out most for me wasn't what Hamilton didn't but what Rosberg did do:

"Nico it's vital you overtake Verstappen now"

He did it straight away in what was quite a risky move.

I tbink that was what secured him the title yesterday. Top notch.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3691897)   #58
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The thing rhat stood out most for me wasn't what Hamilton didn't but what Rosberg did do:

I made a similar point earlier (in race thread). It was a risky (and good) move and on a driver who might be... dangerous to fight with in a corner. Plus he fought back Vettel's one hard attempt at a pass. I don't think Rosberg played it safe on Sunday.

Richard
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3691901)   #59
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC's cheerleading for Lewis is pretty sickening, to be honest.
Parading 'He'll never be as good as our Lewis' kind of headlines around is just the lowest kind of reporting I've seen in my life.
It certainly wouldn't go amiss on a north korean news website if the people there even had computers.

Someone needs to slap that Benson fellow a few times for being a complete ******.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3691906)   #60
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
BBC's cheerleading for Lewis is pretty sickening, to be honest.
Parading 'He'll never be as good as our Lewis' kind of headlines around is just the lowest kind of reporting I've seen in my life.
It certainly wouldn't go amiss on a north korean news website if the people there even had computers.

Someone needs to slap that Benson fellow a few times for being a complete ******.
Whilst i agree the headline is very "sensational" the actual article itself is quite measured i thought.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3691914)   #61
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Spot on. Even Horner acknowledges that.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...rstappen-brave
Old 28 Nov 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3691916)   #62
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Spot on. Even Horner acknowledges that.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...rstappen-brave
Good for Horner to point that out.

Brilliant, intelligent drive under supreme stress. Didn't panic / flat-spot his tyres, didn't lose a wing, overtook well too. Can you imagine how Seb would have reacted had his teammate been doing the same? Or Lewis? Or Fernando? Or, er...Max?
Old 29 Nov 2016, 14:03 (Ref:3692077)   #63
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I see Lewis has had to pull out of the Pirelli rest because he's unwell. I wonder if he's told the doctor not to interfere and just to let him get on with it?
Old 29 Nov 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3692116)   #64
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I see Lewis has had to pull out of the Pirelli rest because he's unwell. I wonder if he's told the doctor not to interfere and just to let him get on with it?
That's now the third test that he has pulled out of this year. Poor diddums! That's pretty well at some point at each test.

Now, maybe, people will realise that he doesn't care about the team; it's all about him.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3692170)   #65
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nico has certainly looked to be the better prepared, less distracted, more focused of the two and seems to have been since the end of last season.

And it paid off. A testament to hard work trumping natural talent.

And in a weird way, LH's tactics (which I'm totally fine with) only served to highlight that NR won the title despite his team mate and not because of him.

I would think that this is the ture moral victory and he goes into next year with the advantage despite LH's string of victories to end this year.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3692173)   #66
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well we will just have to see who is Nico's team mate next year, Lewis is not a happy bunny at the moment and with all the rumours going he may jump ship again, would be nice to see him and vettel change places
Old 29 Nov 2016, 18:57 (Ref:3692176)   #67
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ive heard he has onset dungivaphucitis
Old 29 Nov 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3692177)   #68
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well we will just have to see who is Nico's team mate next year, Lewis is not a happy bunny at the moment and with all the rumours going he may jump ship again, would be nice to see him and vettel change places
Actually, it would be even nicer if Lewis and Kimi swaped. Vettel vs Hamilton would be nothing short of epic.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3692179)   #69
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Actually, it would be even nicer if Lewis and Kimi swaped. Vettel vs Hamilton would be nothing short of epic.
it would be a interesting yes but i think they would be at each others throats within days
Old 29 Nov 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3692215)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That move Nico did on Max was a very calculated risk. Use the overtake button, brake late, then power past on the next straight
Old 29 Nov 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3692229)   #71
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That move Nico did on Max was a very calculated risk. Use the overtake button, brake late, then power past on the next straight
And hope Max doesn't bang wheels fighting the corner or into the next....
Old 30 Nov 2016, 08:48 (Ref:3692303)   #72
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Anywhere but Mercedes, would seem to be second place, and then there is the strong possibility that nobody would in fact want the renowned team player Mr Hamilton in their team.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3692313)   #73
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Anywhere but Mercedes, would seem to be second place, and then there is the strong possibility that nobody would in fact want the renowned team player Mr Hamilton in their team.
Maybe Sauber, and then he could demonstrate just how good he is
Old 30 Nov 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3692326)   #74
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Maybe Sauber, and then he could demonstrate just how good he is
Surely Baub, you don't want a Swiss team dominating everything next year?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3692343)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

But who would partner Nico at Merc? Kimi?