Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3641808)   #51
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
That would be a headline "Max V wins in Spain for RBR".

A post from 13th May. I don't often get it right!
Old 15 May 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3641810)   #52
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My take of the Mercs Mad Moment, was that Lewis was a bit cross that once again Nico had out dragged him from the start and the red mist came down, and he was just too anxious to redress the situation. He really should have backed off or tried the other side, as I seriously doubt that Nico expected him to be where he was. I also suspect that Lewis fans will simply blame Rosberg anyway.

Well done to young Verstappen, and what a blow to Ferrari that they could not pass the Red Bulls, heads look decidedly insecure at Maranello tonight.

Oh! By the way Kimi was definitely Driver of the Race, wasn't he Pete?
Old 15 May 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3641819)   #53
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a gap, Hamilton went for it, Rosberg closed the door too late.

100% Rosberg's fault.
Old 15 May 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3641829)   #54
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm afraid that, IMHO, Hamilton was going for a gap that was already closing. If you watch the video of the incident, he came out of Rosberg's slipstream completely blind because he was so close, and Rosberg was already going towards the apex of the corner. Hamilton then had no option other than taking to the grass and on his way to the impact.

I have said it before, and I think it's worth repeating, that Hamilton can at times be overly aggressive and impetuous, and I believe that this was yet again one of those occasions. Just like when he took out his McLaren teammate at the chicane in Canada a few years ago.

This was, after all, only the third corner at the start of the race. Not really sensible at that point to engage in a do or die type action, when you have another hour and a half to take the lead.
Old 15 May 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3641830)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

100% Rosberg's fault.
Rosberg certainly closed the door but having seen the replay a number of times, Hamilton went for the gap but was too late. I'd say 50/50.
Old 15 May 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3641831)   #56
Robert
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm afraid that, IMHO, Hamilton was going for a gap that was already closing. If you watch the video of the incident, he came out of Rosberg's slipstream completely blind because he was so close, and Rosberg was already going towards the apex of the corner. Hamilton then had no option other than taking to the grass and on his way to the impact.

I have said it before, and I think it's worth repeating, that Hamilton can at times be overly aggressive and impetuous, and I believe that this was yet again one of those occasions. Just like when he took out his McLaren teammate at the chicane in Canada a few years ago.

This was, after all, only the third corner at the start of the race. Not really sensible at that point to engage in a do or die type action, when you have another hour and a half to take the lead.
They were nowhere near the apex, which is why it was Rosberg's fault. Another 150m down the road he could easily claim he had the racing line, at the point of the incident though he didn't, it was a straight bit of road and he should have left a car's width.
Old 15 May 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3641833)   #57
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They were nowhere near the apex, which is why it was Rosberg's fault. Another 150m down the road he could easily claim he had the racing line, at the point of the incident though he didn't, it was a straight bit of road and he should have left a car's width.
Mike. Just as I predicted earlier.
Old 15 May 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3641839)   #58
Robert
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike. Just as I predicted earlier.
You're making a huge assumption there, mate. How about you address the point instead of deflecting.
Old 15 May 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3641841)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally, I don't give a stuff about Rosberg and Hamilton. As bobec said above, this was just what F1 desperately needed. Magnificant Max. A staggering result from a young man who I suspect will add many to his tally over a lot of years to come. My best F1 moment for a long time......
Old 15 May 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3641843)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neither driver has received a penalty. The stewards determined both drivers had acted within the regulations and therefore it was a racing accident.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124300
Old 15 May 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3641849)   #61
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
A post from 13th May. I don't often get it right!
Impressive . Congrats!
Old 15 May 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3641850)   #62
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Max did it! Under pressure all race no mistakes.
Old 15 May 2016, 18:16 (Ref:3641860)   #63
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
You're making a huge assumption there, mate. How about you address the point instead of deflecting.
Robert. My sincere apologies, my post does tend to infer you are a Hamilton Fan. I regret the implication.
Kind regards,

Robert B.
Old 15 May 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3641867)   #64
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Still can't believe it
Old 15 May 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3641874)   #65
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Addressing the point, I don't see where Nico was too late. He had started the block before Lewis had reached his rear wheel, maybe even before reaching his rear wing. Late would be if Nico had started the block when Lewis was approaching his rear wheel, if not even later.

As far ad I understand the rules, Nico was allowed one defensive move and that's all he did.

There's really no blame here, just a racing incident. Lewis doesn't seem too happy with what he has done anyway.
Old 15 May 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3641875)   #66
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am already looking forward to Monaco.
I imagine Mercedes will get this behind them
a look to pound the field but oh the anticipation.
Old 15 May 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3641876)   #67
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I've never been a real Hamilton fan, so I've been happy to see Rosberg doing the business of late.

That being said, in general, I find blocking, swerving, etc. to be a dick move. (I don't care what the rules say about how many moves, or when they can be made; I'm not cool with it, and I'm not required to be.)

On the other hand, Hamilton had to go onto the grass just to get alongside. Exactly what did he think his grip was going to be like, even if he hadn't lost it when he did?

I'll call it a racing incident, but I put the larger share on Hamilton's shoulders. Call it 75/25 Hamilton/Rosberg in my book.
Old 15 May 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3641877)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I am already looking forward to Monaco.
I imagine Mercedes will get this behind them
a look to pound the field but oh the anticipation.
Nico's won the last three and remember practice at Monaco in 2014? I'm sure Lewis does.
Old 15 May 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3641895)   #69
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well done Max! F1 can still throw up great stories. Although I wonder what's going to happen with Ricciardo judging by his comments post race.

As for Hamilton, maybe he got frustrated. I think he should just forget the title and just take each race as it comes. I also think Rosberg maybe misjudged the closing speed too. 50/50.

Did anyone notice the way Guitierrez seemed to hold up Ricciardo when he was lapping him? Could it be the Ferrari B team doing it's job?
Old 15 May 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3641899)   #70
calderra
Rookie

calderra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verstappen really put on a master class. Not only did he win, but he had to do it on strategy and tire conservation. Having a young driver win with tire conservation and fighting a world champion in the DRS zone is about as convincing as you can possibly get. Admittedly he couldn't have done it with a Mercedes out front, but then the question merely becomes what would happen if he was in a Merc.

Speaking of which, yes it was a racing incident. But I think it's becoming clear that Lewis would rather crash Rosberg out than play second fiddle. Even if it's just subconscious "racing instinct", it's dangerous. I get that we want the stewards to get out of the races, but Lewis should have settled into the race. If he had more pace, there are plenty of options. But this looks a little too much like Lewis was going for first or nothing so Rosberg wouldn't widen the gap in points. I assume think is supposed to call to mind the days of Senna, but it's too early in the season. If Rosberg ends up with a couple of engine issues so that they both get into penalties, they're going to regret this day.

There is no dishonor in racing to Turn One then falling into line for the rest of the lap. If they wanted to have a duel like this, they both should have aimed for 100% deployment off the line, and they both should have accepted the result. The only scenario in which Rosberg has any blame, if there is any here at all, is if he pulled the 100% deployment off the line without having this gentlemen's agreement with Hamilton first, in which case Hamilton could honestly say he thought Rosberg went down on power. But that's very flimsy.
Old 15 May 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3641909)   #71
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I also think Rosberg maybe misjudged the closing speed too. 50/50.
if you watch the video of the incident enough times, you will note that Hamilton is tucked up right behind the rear wing of Rosberg's car at the time that Rosberg had already started to pull to the right to protect the corner. It is after Rosberg is probably less than a car's width from the edge of the track that Hamilton darts out from behind Rosberg, and the only place that he can go is on to the grass on his right.

I would guess that Hamilton was so concentrated on the back of Rosberg's car that he was probably really aware that they were so close to the edge of the track. I'm afraid that this would be a reason for the incident, but not an excuse; that move by Hamilton was the precursor to the crash, and I would also guess that the stewards ruled it a racing incident because they know that Hamilton is only one penalty away from a sanction (and also possibly because it was his teammate that he took out, not a competing team car).
Old 15 May 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3641917)   #72
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In 25 years of F1 at the circuit I can't remember an overtake up the inside on that corner.It is not a passing point.Lewis proved it again.
Well done to Max.A lot of sympathy for Dan who would have won except for tactical error by team.
Great race.Why I love F1.Much better show without the Mercs.
Old 15 May 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3641922)   #73
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Done to Max on his first win. However I wondered in the 2016 driver movements thread how long it would take Red Bull to shaft Ricciardo. All of the first race it appears.
Old 15 May 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3641924)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Well Done to Max on his first win. However I wondered in the 2016 driver movements thread how long it would take Red Bull to shaft Ricciardo. All of the first race it appears.
Conspiracy?
Old 15 May 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3641925)   #75
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

100% Rosberg's fault.
:rof l: