Manor 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 May 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3642031)   #1
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Team Of The Grand Prix: Spanish GP 2016

Which team excelled in Spain?
Old 16 May 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3642035)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Mercedes for their team formation exit.
Old 16 May 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3642038)   #3
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull.
Old 16 May 2016, 09:24 (Ref:3642043)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Err maybe Red Bull? Although they did cock up a bit on strategy. Trouble is pretty much everyone else cocked something up as well.
Old 16 May 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3642048)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
RBR, who the hell voted for mercs and ferrari, voting should be about performance in the race and nothing else
Old 16 May 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3642050)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
RBR, who the hell voted for mercs and ferrari, voting should be about performance in the race and nothing else
I voted Ferrari as I believe they improved in the race compared to their performance over the weekend, and if you're going just by performance in the race, 2nd and 3rd is pretty good performance in my book.
Old 16 May 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3642059)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
voting should be about performance in the race and nothing else
I tend to base it on performance over the whole weekend - Williams for example screwed up their race in qualifying by losing Massa in Q1, so although Massa recovered well in the race he could (would/should?) have finished much higher if they hadn't made an arse of qualifying.
Old 16 May 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3642067)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Difficult but at the end I voted for RBR.
Old 16 May 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3642080)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes, of course, for being so kind to gift us such a gloriously marvellous race.
Old 16 May 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3642125)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
came down to RB and Ferrari. i like how they split their strategies and both teams should be commended for nonconformity.

but in the end i gave it to RB for what is in hindsight an inspired driver selection choice.
Old 16 May 2016, 15:31 (Ref:3642142)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari.
Old 16 May 2016, 17:41 (Ref:3642187)   #12
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll vote for Merc if they can promise to screw up a bit more, because when they do the race is fantastic. But if they can't promise, Red Bull

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3642214)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mercedes, they were just let down by their drivers.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3642225)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Red Bull.
Old 16 May 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3642275)   #15
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, Mercedes shot themselves in both feet, so they're out for a start. Ferrari under-performed in qually. Red Bull exceeded expectations (Max especially) and their only failing was to split the strategy and give Smiler the bum deal. In other circumstances the split strategy might have looked smart, but not yesterday. No-one else got me especially excited so RBR gets my vote.
Old 16 May 2016, 23:49 (Ref:3642284)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
RBR, made the call to switch drivers which came off spectacularly and scored more points than anyone else.
Let Dani Ricc down a bit, but it was probably the right call at the time.
Old 17 May 2016, 03:09 (Ref:3642316)   #17
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari. Red Bull made a hash of the strategy and only managed a 1st and 4th when a 1st and 2nd was on the cards after Mercedes self destructed.
Old 17 May 2016, 04:35 (Ref:3642325)   #18
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari. Good results from a car that wasn't quite there. Kudos to Red Bull also.
Old 18 May 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3642699)   #19
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both Red Bull drivers did a great race, and is to note that ALL four Red Bull-sponsored cars entered on poins. So my vote is defined.
Old 24 May 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3644047)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is really interesting to me is what exactly went on with Red Bull and Ferrari's strategies. There are some intriguing questions here.

So, although Pirelli had been talking about a 3-stop being theoretically quicker, that theory didn't take account of the difficulty of overtaking in Barcelona and how 2-stoppers would have to do more of that. The degradation levels were shown to be fine for two stops on Friday. Why did Red Bull switch Ricciardo's strategy? And then when Ferrari saw they were, why did they switch Vettel's?

Both Ricciardo and Vettel were planning to do two. Ricciardo stopped on Lap 11 and then Vettel ran until Lap 15. It was clear at this point that at least Vettel was intending to 2-stop. Ricciardo had track position and was stroking his tyres before he got called in on only Lap 28, thereby committing him to a 2-stop strategy. Christian Horner said after the race that they were pre-empting Ferrari going aggressive on strategy with a 3-stop, to assure the win. Perhaps they were, but if they were going to split the strategies, wouldn't it have been better to put the second car on the more aggressive strategy? Perhaps they really believed that Ferrari, with underlying pace in their car which they had not shown in qualifying, would seize the initiative with a 3-stopper and so they could get the undercut on Vettel. However, with Ricciardo out front a comfortable distance in front, I think Daniel would have had enough in reserve to cover any attempt at the undercut. So, instead of Ricciardo's tyre saving having been a good reason to negate the negative effect of running slower than optimum, he had been unnecessarily driving slightly slowly on a 3-stop strategy which was to become a 2.

Red Bull having made what at least retrospectively transpired to be an error, Ferrari then made a bigger gaffe, one of which I don't see why it wasn't at least obvious to their strategists. They followed Ricciardo in one lap later. Why did they do this? They didn't have the undercut and they condemned him to remain behind Ricciardo, on the same strategy and on a track that's difficult to overtake on (if you can't get good drive out of the final sector as their other car later couldn't to stand a chance against eventual Grand Prix winner Max Verstappen).

I therefore can't vote for Ferrari nor Red Bull. Williams finished 5th and 8th, with Massa having a good result but they were a long way off the battle up front. Mercedes were quick all weekend as usual, but didn't figure in the race of course. McLaren are an option, just because of the improvement, but with one car failing like that, it makes me say no. Toro Rosso did well, although I'm more impressed with Sainz's performance in this race than the team doing anything spectacular.

I'm going to abstain this time, I'm afraid!
Old 24 May 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3644103)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i thought it was smart to hedge their bets.

personally i like the mixed strategy/split strategy approach as i find that more preferable then keeping both drivers on the same strategy and then forcing on one of the cars the less optimal version of it (either having them stop a lap earlier or a lap later/making them subject to the undercut).

for me they were both looking for the win as opposed to what has become the typical Williams approach of just going for points and somewhat afraid of ever taking a chance to aim for the top step or the Merc approach of needing to keep everything equal.

so i guess i found both Ferrari's and RB's approach a bit old school and refreshing in that decisions were made on the pit wall and not based on some computer model which said what the optimal theoretical strategy should be and then being bound by it....so imo i dont think they messed up at all. quite the opposite really in that it showed flexibility

that said, that was just my perception as i havent read anything yet from them talking about the logic of their decisions.
Old 25 May 2016, 04:36 (Ref:3644234)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i thought it was smart to hedge their bets.
I have no problem with hedging bets, but I question why would they would bring in the race leading car to cover a move Ferrari had not yet made?