Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2016, 01:05 (Ref:3643050)   #1
VES33
Rookie

VES33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to F1

I watched the Chinese Grand Prix a few weeks ago on a whim and have become fascinated with the sport ever since. So much that I've already booked a flight and tickets to the US Grand Prix. What are some good resources to dive in and learn more about the sport?
Old 20 May 2016, 07:29 (Ref:3643151)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VES33 View Post
I watched the Chinese Grand Prix a few weeks ago on a whim and have become fascinated with the sport ever since. So much that I've already booked a flight and tickets to the US Grand Prix. What are some good resources to dive in and learn more about the sport?
Welcome to ten tenths
Certainly trawling through the things posted on here should give you a broad view of opinions about our sport. There's a lot to learn and loads of varying opinions, but hopefully you'll find it an interesting (and hopefully educational) ride!
Old 20 May 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3643157)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome. It's great to see you want to get stuck in with information on the net too. Interacting with the many knowledgeable people on here, you will surely learn loads about this fascinating and complex sport.

Motorsport Magazine is an excellent resource. Each print edition is almost like a book in its depth and length of articles. There is also an online version:

www.motosportmagazine.com

James Allen's website is also good for its strategy report post-race. www.jamesallenonf1.com

But the best forum bar none is Ten-Tenths. And I say that without bias, having visited various others. Here people are generally very respectful and non-sensationalist, engaging in good discussion. So we think you won't have to sift through too much rubbish.

Last edited by Born Racer; 20 May 2016 at 08:38.
Old 20 May 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3643166)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I was first bitten by the bug I read every book in the school and public library on the sport that I could find. Learning the history of the any subject can give a good understanding of the whys and wherefores of current affairs.

Driver biographies are a good starting point.

Once you have got a broad outline of Grand Prix racing, after watching a few races, look at the lower formulas to see where the current stars come from, and how they got to where they are.

For pure enjoyment I would thoroughly recommend books from the 1950's/60's when racing was much less regimented than today.

Find books on Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill, they will both educate and entertain, while the likes of Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher will mostly inform only.

I predict you will soon be upsetting us 'Old Boys' with your posts on Ten-Tenths, and I can't wait.

Welcome aboard.

Bauble.
Old 20 May 2016, 13:00 (Ref:3643237)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Buy the Who's who of GP drivers, I think the last one was updated in 2012?
Old 20 May 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3643260)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
grandprix.com has a very good archive and GP encyclopedia. good source to read summaries of old races and team histories that get mentioned here.

welcome to the forum
Old 20 May 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3643275)   #7
VES33
Rookie

Appreciate it, everyone. Looking forward to the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 May 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3643420)   #8
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get as many editions of Autocourse as you can.If you are not obsessed with F1 before you will be after!I think both Book Depository and Amazon have some old years at reasonable prices.
Old 29 May 2016, 04:27 (Ref:3645365)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you can, I recommend you could not only set your eyes in F1 only - but also minor formulae. You could know better how the future stars are preparing and entering in this marvelous world, and you'll have a more complete vision. Then you'll know good Max has a nemesis, in the form of Esteban Ocon, due to their F3 epic battles in 2014, for example.

It's a shame that good part of F1 fans don't consider the racing structure that are bringing drivers and team personnel into the series.
Old 29 May 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3645445)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If you don't mind splashing out a bit of dosh, try the Forix sight, loaded with information
Old 1 Jun 2016, 05:02 (Ref:3646231)   #11
VES33
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
If you can, I recommend you could not only set your eyes in F1 only - but also minor formulae. You could know better how the future stars are preparing and entering in this marvelous world, and you'll have a more complete vision. Then you'll know good Max has a nemesis, in the form of Esteban Ocon, due to their F3 epic battles in 2014, for example.

It's a shame that good part of F1 fans don't consider the racing structure that are bringing drivers and team personnel into the series.

Yeah I've been watching all of the gp2 races, since they're all broadcasted in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jun 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3647267)   #12
Mciracer
Rookie

Mciracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the sport but be careful not to watch too much content at the same time. Especially if you get a hold of classic races etc.