Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3781735)   #3376
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All this chat is very interesting...... BUT it doesn't find me any closer to a fourth team member for Thursday evening!

I am sure the marshals will be bitterly disappointed that you lot couldn't care less about their quiz
Old 20 Nov 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3781738)   #3377
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
All this chat is very interesting...... BUT it doesn't find me any closer to a fourth team member for Thursday evening!

I am sure the marshals will be bitterly disappointed that you lot couldn't care less about their quiz
Loose End is a long way from Silverstone, Bob.

Are you offering expenses?

If so probably best not to offer them to me as I'm not very attuned to quizzes - other than an occasional stunning answer that appears purely by chance from long forgotten areas of deep memory store. (Though I don't always vocalise it in case it's wrong ....)

Maybe someone who cannot be there physically could join in via Skype or similar?

(Actually I suppose quite a few people could join up on Skype (or similar) and feed their answers in via the virtually connected spokesperson. Would that be against any rules you know of?)
Old 20 Nov 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3781756)   #3378
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Despite being bombarded by my energy supplier to "uprate" to the new Smart meters, I have stoutly rebuffed them for the time being. Advice from a number of websites is to hold off until at least next year when the 2nd generation meters are rolled out, because for some reason best known to some civil servant somewhere, the current meters can only be used by the supplier who currently supplies the customer, so if you switch, the new supplier has to change the meters again. The next generation meters will not be supplier specific, so you can change suppliers as often as you like with minimal disruption.

The thing is though, my consumption will not be dictated to by a meter. If I'm cold, I'll turn up the thermostat and when it turns dark, I'll turn on the lights. And I'll still need to pre-heat the oven before putting something in it to cook. I just have to pay the bill when it comes. And it takes me all of about 2 minutes to read the meters every quarter, and enter the figures on the website.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3781760)   #3379
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Despite being bombarded by my energy supplier to "uprate" to the new Smart meters, I have stoutly rebuffed them for the time being. Advice from a number of websites is to hold off until at least next year when the 2nd generation meters are rolled out, because for some reason best known to some civil servant somewhere, the current meters can only be used by the supplier who currently supplies the customer, so if you switch, the new supplier has to change the meters again. The next generation meters will not be supplier specific, so you can change suppliers as often as you like with minimal disruption.

The thing is though, my consumption will not be dictated to by a meter. If I'm cold, I'll turn up the thermostat and when it turns dark, I'll turn on the lights. And I'll still need to pre-heat the oven before putting something in it to cook. I just have to pay the bill when it comes. And it takes me all of about 2 minutes to read the meters every quarter, and enter the figures on the website.

In between swotting, I have just switched energy suppliers, and it does not appear to be a problem with having a smart meter, other than the new supplier does not have internet access to them. So it is back to reading by torchlight again.

Before allowing the supplier to fit smart meters I ensured that they were not specific to that particular company.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3781774)   #3380
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well well, I have seen some articles that suggest our Mr. Bell is driving a death trap BMW.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/20/bmw-t...ld-in-america/

"Stop Sale and recall" for America.

Shocking, I tell you, shocking.

Still, at least Mike is probably not a "5th percentile female" by inclination or height, although by weight .... hmm.

" ‘5th percentile female’ drivers when they do not wear their seatbelt. 5th percentile females are categorized as around 5 feet tall and weighing 110 pounds. This group is at a marginally higher risk of sustaining neck injuries than is allowed in case of a frontal collision when they are not wearing their seatbelt. Wearing your seatbelt is mandatory in all but one state in the U.S. –New Hampshire is the exception. "

No mention of whether this only applies in special circumstances when Harvey W is sitting in the passenger seat.

Has someone in BMW lost the plot or are they simply using this as a PR exercise to boost i3 sales in New Hampshire. Or maybe even introduce i3 sales to New Hampshire?

I keep getting this weird feeling that I have been abducted by aliens and transported to a strange world that looks like Earth but is in fact completely different.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3781797)   #3381
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
In between swotting, I have just switched energy suppliers, and it does not appear to be a problem with having a smart meter, other than the new supplier does not have internet access to them. So it is back to reading by torchlight again.

Before allowing the supplier to fit smart meters I ensured that they were not specific to that particular company.
We had the same issue when we changed suppliers. Not a major issue although I had to go online to find out how to read the smart meters manually And for some reason the new supplier accepts our electricity readings, but insists on using estimates for the gas.......
Old 20 Nov 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3781801)   #3382
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

You’re right Grant. The thing’s obviously a death trap. Ralph Nader is still about- perhaps someone should get him on the case......

In the classic words of Catherine Tate’s Lauren (and I quote)- “Am I bovvered?” “Does my face look bovvered?”

Oh, and my utility provider doesn’t do smart meters........
Old 20 Nov 2017, 21:18 (Ref:3781825)   #3383
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Well, obviously Abe Lincoln was right went he twittered (or should that be tw@t?) that you shouldn't believe everything that you read on the internet!
Old 20 Nov 2017, 22:34 (Ref:3781840)   #3384
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My old magnet is still working well .😜
Old 21 Nov 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3781888)   #3385
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 21 Nov 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3781901)   #3386
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well, obviously Abe Lincoln was right went he twittered (or should that be tw@t?) that you shouldn't believe everything that you read on the internet!
I better hope that there are no questions about 'smart meters' on Thursday night.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3781924)   #3387
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I better hope that there are no questions about 'smart meters' on Thursday night.
Even if there are you can just challenge the answer - it's doubtful anyone would know an answer with any certainty.

Son in Law had a smart meter fitted some months back.

He said the fitter did not seem to know what he was doing and left after the allotted time for the job saying he would be back shortly - but never appeared and when contacted had gone to another job.

Not sure they ever got it all working as it should. I'll try to remember to ask.

ETA:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...fewer_savings/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/con...o-smart-meter/

Last edited by grantp; 21 Nov 2017 at 10:38.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3781926)   #3388
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EDF tried to impose smart meters here, under the name 'Linky'. I'm afraid I ignored their exhortations, as others advised me to, and it's all gone quiet.

I'm not sure how they work - I'm under the impression it's some sort of phone signal-type system, but since we are in a valley that's not always very reliable!

No doubt the matter will raise its head again!

Last edited by John Elwin; 21 Nov 2017 at 10:33. Reason: Spelling correction!
Old 21 Nov 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3781928)   #3389
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe they do transmit the figures 'over the air' which as we all know any competent 13 year old, let alone cyber criminals can 'hack' into.

Power cut anbybody?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3781930)   #3390
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I believe they do transmit the figures 'over the air' which as we all know any competent 13 year old, let alone cyber criminals can 'hack' into.

Power cut anbybody?
Requires a mobile signal apparently. Presumably built into the bill for daily readings.

At some future point everything can be standardised with a dedicated comms network or so it seems. Wonderful efficiency in the use of shared technology one might hope no matter how forlorn such a hope might be.

It looks like it will take 42 years of so to save enough to cover the cost of the meter alone. They will have been replaced by then. And the Gas part of it will be redundant anyway if the "all electric" policy is pursued.

Barking.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3781935)   #3391
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It looks like it will take 42 years of so to save enough to cover the cost of the meter alone. They will have been replaced by then. And the Gas part of it will be redundant anyway if the "all electric" policy is pursued.

Barking.
That’s an interesting comment, Grant. You think the pressure to move away from ‘fossil fuels’ is going to extend to how we keep warm and cook in our homes in the not too distant future?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3781944)   #3392
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
My current supplier (Scottish Power) have just emailed to say they're fitting smart meters in my area and suggesting I arrange an appointment to have mine fitted. Should I go for it or fob them off with some sort of delaying tactic?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3781947)   #3393
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Delay! Not that I have any experience of them- just my opinion.....

Ironically, my modern thinking ‘green energy’ and ‘EV friendly’ supplier requires me to submit monthly meter readings, which are used to raise invoices. Cuts out the cost of having bods travelling round to do the same, I guess.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3781953)   #3394
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
My current supplier (Scottish Power) have just emailed to say they're fitting smart meters in my area and suggesting I arrange an appointment to have mine fitted. Should I go for it or fob them off with some sort of delaying tactic?
Based on my current (there's a potential joke there) experience, I would hold off for now. I have no problems with the concept and the electric readings are getting through to the company - there's a SIM card in the electric meter. I can see these via my online account so I know they're being transmitted.

For me the problem lies with the gas meter which is supposed to communicate with the electric meter (wirelessly I presume) using that as it's communication device. The problem is the gas meter itself doesn't appear to be working properly as it indicates minimal usage.

The main issue is getting the company to understand that I'm on about the meter itself, not the in-home display nor the online account.

So no, I'd hold off if I were you Viva.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3781974)   #3395
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3781975)   #3396
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Viv, like Gary, I would say hold off; they cannot force you (at the moment) to change, and reading comments from customers that have had them fitted, the meters are not bullet proof yet.

The utility companies are years behind on their fitting quotas, and it is highly unlikely that they will complete the change over anytime near the proposed date.

Might I suggest that these meters are not necessary for the members of this parish, as I assume that we are all smart customers who are more than capable of reading the meters once a month/quarter without any problems. And my utility provider must trust me because I haven't had a meter reader visit for about 4 years.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3781984)   #3397
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Help.

To change the subject I am in a bit of trouble. I need a 8/43 CWP A series. Can anyone help please. Thanks Iain.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3781992)   #3398
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I don’t know much about BMC diffs, Boss. Would that have been fitted to A35, A40, Morris commercial or summat similar?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3782002)   #3399
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain - The 5.375/1 (8/43) diff was used in Morris Minor GPO vans if that helps.
Suggest you try the 750 Formula or Historic 750 Formula guys to see if they have one.
Stuart
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3782007)   #3400
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWBallistic View Post
Iain - The 5.375/1 (8/43) diff was used in Morris Minor GPO vans if that helps.
Suggest you try the 750 Formula or Historic 750 Formula guys to see if they have one.
Stuart
Yep will do thanks Stuart.
Closed Thread