Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3428744)   #16
CDM
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are these really going to be exciting to drive?? The pics on the facebook page don't make them look like they handle very well at all & from what I can see they are about 7 seconds per lap slower than what looks like a 2K Cup Corolla.....
CDM is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Jun 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3428747)   #17
promax
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
New Zealand
New Zealand
Posts: 2,667
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Umm..... then how come the only two that did the 3hr both DNF'd???
some how I don't think the SsangYongs were 'the rig' Woolley was volunteering to work on
promax is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Jun 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3428756)   #18
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 925
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Are these really going to be exciting to drive?? The pics on the facebook page don't make them look like they handle very well at all & from what I can see they are about 7 seconds per lap slower than what looks like a 2K Cup Corolla.....
Exciting to drive? Why don't you ask Brook Reeve's, Faine Kahia, Christina Orr, Cory Holmes etc they all have face-book pages, I think you will find that they are indeed exciting to drive because at the end of the day they require a lot of skill to get the best out of and lap times are only relative to what is around you.

Not knocking the 2K cup but the winners in this category are all spending way more each weekend they race, than they would in a SARS ute, and no television or any media coverage for their efforts.
Mark Petch is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Jun 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3428769)   #19
promax
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
New Zealand
New Zealand
Posts: 2,667
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
in this day and age.. a small article in a local paper and delayed tv coverage on a Sunday afternoon is hardly a big deal. with the number of entries in 2KCUP (70-80 in their 2nd season) sponsors would be silly not to throw a little bit of money their way. if the guys that run this series.. do a good job.. who knows how successful this season becomes.. and what talent it unearths.
promax is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 02:14 (Ref:3428815)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran
 
Woolley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
England
Wolverhampton, England
Posts: 12,100
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
some how I don't think the SsangYongs were 'the rig' Woolley was volunteering to work on
Correct. Don't know one end of a spanner from the other.
Woolley is offline  
__________________
Bill Bryson: It is no longer permitted to be stupid and slow. You must choose one or the other.
Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3428865)   #21
BlueBlood
Veteran
 
BlueBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Posts: 841
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Umm..... then how come the only two that did the 3hr both DNF'd???
Mark,

you may have missed this question as it was on the previous page.....
BlueBlood is offline  
__________________
There is no second place, there is First and last. If you are there, then you are no where!
Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3428882)   #22
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 925
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
Mark,

you may have missed this question as it was on the previous page.....

Thanks BB, as we never entered any SARS utes in the 3 hour race I missed that "barbed" comment.

Following the end of the 1 hour race, the organisers invited any of our ute drivers that wanted to experiment with tyre pressures or just clock up some more seat time to rejoin the field doing the 3 hour race. I do know that Andy Wright took up that offer and was in and out of the pits trying higher and lower tyre pressure's before parking his ute for the day. Obviously if a second ute also trundled out to cut a few more laps I was unaware of that.

Obviously the My Laps transponders registers the vehicles as still in the race, which they most definetely were not, [A] because they were not entered in the 3 hour race and [B] nor did we pay the greater entry fee required for them to do the 3 hour race.
Mark Petch is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 14:46 (Ref:3429011)   #23
flyingduck
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 905
flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Exciting to drive? Why don't you ask Brook Reeve's, Faine Kahia, Christina Orr, Cory Holmes etc they all have face-book pages, I think you will find that they are indeed exciting to drive because at the end of the day they require a lot of skill to get the best out of and lap times are only relative to what is around you.

Not knocking the 2K cup but the winners in this category are all spending way more each weekend they race, than they would in a SARS ute, and no television or any media coverage for their efforts.
I disagree with that statement mark. Happy to compare accounts with you any time on the costs of 2kcup vs the utes but I don't see why the need to knock either series. I will say you will see 2 full grids this season of 2kcup cars this year with loads of competitive driving. I'm sure many of the including me have Sabelt seats as you were an original supporter of the 2kcup class

I would say the top 2kcup boys would give your ute boys and girls more than a fight. But happy to be proven wrong Mr Petch

2kcup has had it first year on to year 2 The lasts years series champ is coming back so is 2,3,4 the guy in 5th is looking for other challengers and is currently beating evos and wrx at his most recent rally down in wairapa. So that says to me the class is in pretty good shape but I know in America similar classes have waiting lists to join so work is still to be done.

Good to see other classes thinking about costs and racing each other not the bank. All the best for the new class. I look forward to seeing 30 utes doing battle but don't limit yourself to that aim for totally full grids increasing each year. Sorry to hijack you thread a little
flyingduck is offline  
__________________
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3429167)   #24
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 925
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
I disagree with that statement mark. Happy to compare accounts with you any time on the costs of 2kcup vs the utes but I don't see why the need to knock either series. I will say you will see 2 full grids this season of 2kcup cars this year with loads of competitive driving. I'm sure many of the including me have Sabelt seats as you were an original supporter of the 2kcup class

I would say the top 2kcup boys would give your ute boys and girls more than a fight. But happy to be proven wrong Mr Petch

2kcup has had it first year on to year 2 The lasts years series champ is coming back so is 2,3,4 the guy in 5th is looking for other challengers and is currently beating evos and wrx at his most recent rally down in wairapa. So that says to me the class is in pretty good shape but I know in America similar classes have waiting lists to join so work is still to be done.


Good to see other classes thinking about costs and racing each other not the bank. All the best for the new class. I look forward to seeing 30 utes doing battle but don't limit yourself to that aim for totally full grids increasing each year. Sorry to hijack you thread a little

Not knocking the 2K Cup at all FD, Autoquip/Racer products support the 2K Cup as you allude to, what I am saying is that you can fettle the 2K cup cars and most of the front runners are putting a fair bit of effort into the allowable upgrades, as well as the cars set-up's camber, castor, toe's, brake pads, dampers etc, and if you don't have that expertise yourself then you have to pay somebody that does.

None of the above is permissible in the SARS utes, everything has to be the same and we have made tools and jigs to ensure that nobody can get away with tweaking anything put the tyre pressures and how much fuel you elect to put in the vehicle.

Granted the entry level is much higher in the SARS ute because you are buying/leasing a brand new vehicle that has a long useful life after racing, but both categories offer genuinely low running costs which attracts more people into our sport and that has to be a good thing.
Mark Petch is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3429215)   #25
flyingduck
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 905
flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As to your point on costs cars set-up's camber (must be standard), castor (must be standard), toe's $45 for a wheel alignment which I'm sure you need to do in the utes as well or free if you want to use a string line, brake pads (mine lasted a full season including 1 hour enduro) need to be the same size as the standard one but you are free to chose the compound, dampers well at the start of the season I replaced my shocks for 150 + GST a corner but I can tell you the championship winning car didn't do that and I won't need to for this season. The suspension has to be standard no coilovers allowed. Springs are free and you could spend a little on these but still must be at legal ride height for the road. As I said if you would like to sit down and go through the costs you will see there is not a better priced series to race in.

But I think from looking at your entries that I have seen the Utes are going to be used as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, 2kcup is about people going out and racing. I'm never going to go much further than basic club level racing and I'm happy with that. You should bring a ute along to a meeting at some stage to show the competitors your class and the budgets to run for a season and you might get some interest but I would not be saying it's cheaper than 2kcup or you will just get arguements.

Just out of interest what sort of lap times do the utes do around Hampton downs, not that is the point of the series it is low cost motoring that encourages close racing but hey I'm a racer so you always like to know lap times.
flyingduck is offline  
__________________
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Quote
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3429330)   #26
CDM
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Not knocking the 2K cup but the winners in this category are all spending way more each weekend they race, than they would in a SARS ute, and no television or any media coverage for their efforts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Granted the entry level is much higher in the SARS ute because you are buying/leasing a brand new vehicle that has a long useful life after racing, but both categories offer genuinely low running costs which attracts more people into our sport and that has to be a good thing.
Hang on... You said it was cheaper to run a SARS ute than a 2K cup car... So what are the figures?? Lets have an honest comparison as flying duck seems to know what it costs for a 2k Cup car...

Also interested to know if there is any franchise fee payable to compete in the series and/or if they have the crazy rule that prevents you from using the vehicle you purchased when & where you want to use it

Also intrigued what the "long useful life after racing" involves? As they don't seem to be Rego'd & with their lack of pace I sure as hell can't see them being snapped up to use in other Series' or as club racers after SARS is gone.

Lastly re: the 3hr DNF's, thx for clarifying, all i was going off was the Mylaps results which showed them as DNF's in the 3hr race.
CDM is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Jul 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3429595)   #27
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 925
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ssangyong Actyon Racing Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Hang on... You said it was cheaper to run a SARS ute than a 2K cup car... So what are the figures?? Lets have an honest comparison as flying duck seems to know what it costs for a 2k Cup car... We believe that the two sets of new tyre's and rims that come standard within the cars $30K cost will do all six championship events, the cost of one set of brake pads all-round is less than $500, and in the 1 hour races the utes used 40 of petrol

Also interested to know if there is any franchise fee payable to compete in the series and/or if they have the crazy rule that prevents you from using the vehicle you purchased when & where you want to use it There is no restrictions were the SARS utes can compete. the REC [Racing Entitlement Contract] does not have any draconian form of requirements, save adhering to our technical rules and the consequence of not doing so.

Also intrigued what the "long useful life after racing" involves? As they don't seem to be Rego'd & with their lack of pace I sure as hell can't see them being snapped up to use in other Series' or as club racers after SARS is gone. The vehicle can either be put back on the road via the low volume certification process or simply used as a farm vehicle with a flat deck etc.

Lastly re: the 3hr DNF's, thx for clarifying, all i was going off was the Mylaps results which showed them as DNF's in the 3hr race.[/QUOTE]
Mark Petch is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Jul 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3429602)   #28
raymond
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
New Zealand
Palmerston North
Posts: 351
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a new acronym is required as SARS was (and still is) a potential lethal virus laying latent at the moment
raymond is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Jul 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3429642)   #29
JamesK
Racer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 168
JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
Maybe a new acronym is required as SARS was (and still is) a potential lethal virus laying latent at the moment
Symptoms include fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and poor appetite; nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Is it possible to prevent SARS?
Frequent hand washing with soap and water, or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, avoiding close contact with sick people.
JamesK is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Jul 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3429651)   #30
Mark Petch
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 925
Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Symptoms include fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and poor appetite; nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Is it possible to prevent SARS?
Frequent hand washing with soap and water, or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, avoiding close contact with sick people.
Hmmmmmm thanks JK, some pondering to do over the next few days, wee need a catchy acronym as Ssangyong Actyon Racing is a mouthful in anybodies language. Any suggestion's anybody?
Mark Petch is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FISCAR FLIERS - 1950s 1100cc Racing & 1500cc Production Sports Racing Series begbier Historic Racing Today 67 26 Jun 2014 09:27
Historic Stock Car Racing Series Australia (renamed) Camaroz Australasian Touring Cars. 86 24 Jul 2010 15:58
Ssangyong Rexton Christopher Road Car Forum 9 5 Apr 2005 13:10
Open Wheel Racing Series To Acquire Championship Auto Racing Teams RaceTime ChampCar World Series 105 8 Oct 2003 11:34


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.