Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9 Sep 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3133206)   #2501
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I start watching ten minutes before the end and stop ten minutes before that. And I live in a hole. Ha, luxury.
You're a mole?
Old 9 Sep 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3133210)   #2502
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No I'm from Yorkshire.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3133216)   #2503
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
No I'm from Yorkshire.
Ah. land of the dusty wallet.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3133223)   #2504
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I used to like that band, but now they are too corporate.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3133288)   #2505
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm afraid Simon Lazenby is still very much the weak link in the Sky coverage.
Post race he is unable to do simple mathematics and fails to understand fuel loads on lap times.

Much of the Sky coverage is the same as 2011 BBC, a couple of bits better ( no EJ being one) but they need a decent anchor.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3133313)   #2506
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
I'm afraid Simon Lazenby is still very much the weak link in the Sky coverage.
Post race he is unable to do simple mathematics and fails to understand fuel loads on lap times.

Much of the Sky coverage is the same as 2011 BBC, a couple of bits better ( no EJ being one) but they need a decent anchor.
Lazenby is a decent anchor, it's not his job to do the simple maths nor is it his job to understand fuel loads on lap times (though some understanding would be of use).
He's there to host the show, ask a few preprepared questions and read out other stuff that's also prepared in advance.

He has his panel of experts for that sort of thing.

As for Sky's coverage being much of the same, well I don't think that there is a huge amount more that can be done.
Both BBC and Sky work in the same restricted area between the back of the garages and the hospitality. It will always be the same interviews with the same team personalities and the same banal questions at time too.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3133335)   #2507
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Simon is excellent. Liked his style for years. However I would prefer to have him back doing his previous gig.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3133350)   #2508
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
When you think that F1 races used to last 3 hours, how long would the broadcast be for- 6hours? It's just repetitive drivel. All dumbed-down to suit the ADD fans.
Yes, it's the 'more is better' fallacy. Not always so. It's not a swipe at the "Sky Team" even if you channeled the spirits of Fangio and Clark and made them pundits, saturation coverage is always going to be simple common sense stated six times over X hours. To paraphrase an exchange between Thompson and Davidson at the Sky Pad 'Do you think the stewards will be watching the start closely after the Spa startline accident, Ant?' 'Yes,I do Georgie. They will be looking at it very closely.' Lovely and true but not exactly a complex deduction beyond the power of mortals.

It's there not just in sport, the worst is 24/7 news.

I do miss the days when the sport was somewhat mysterious. I wasn't aware too much of the business, if I had a knowledge gap I got off my backside and dug up the information I needed. I actually miss the first generation of BBC coverage where Walker would just run through the trails and struggles of the grid and then just went racing. I also think that people can get jaded and take the saturated coverage for granted.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3133355)   #2509
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Yes, it's the 'more is better' fallacy. Not always so. It's not a swipe at the "Sky Team" even if you channeled the spirits of Fangio and Clark and made them pundits, saturation coverage is always going to be simple common sense stated six times over X hours. To paraphrase an exchange between Thompson and Davidson at the Sky Pad 'Do you think the stewards will be watching the start closely after the Spa startline accident, Ant?' 'Yes,I do Georgie. They will be looking at it very closely.' Lovely and true but not exactly a complex deduction beyond the power of mortals.

It's there not just in sport, the worst is 24/7 news.

I do miss the days when the sport was somewhat mysterious. I wasn't aware too much of the business, if I had a knowledge gap I got off my backside and dug up the information I needed. I actually miss the first generation of BBC coverage where Walker would just run through the trails and struggles of the grid and then just went racing. I also think that people can get jaded and take the saturated coverage for granted.
Well said. I know it must be difficult to come up with something new to say - why not just cut back the length of transmission? Oh, of course, they paid so much for the rights, they've got to justify it.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3133367)   #2510
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
and some people want to watch that! Some people want to buy Autosport which keeps saying the same things too, or spend time on internet forums repeating the same things.

First generation BBC coverage? Luxury! I remember when you could only see Grand Prix on Pathé news in cinemas and only after father had given you a good flogging.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3133370)   #2511
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
... for not cleaning out the septic tank, I assume?
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3133382)   #2512
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
and some people want to watch that! Some people want to buy Autosport which keeps saying the same things too, or spend time on internet forums repeating the same things.

First generation BBC coverage? Luxury! I remember when you could only see Grand Prix on Pathé news in cinemas and only after father had given you a good flogging.
Eee, you had it good,lad. Twenty-four of us in a rolled-up newspaper...

Seriously, I doubt too many people watch the whole shebang. I really think Sky misjudged badly when they devoted a whole channel to F1- they should have alloted 3 0r 4 hours on SkySports1 or some such, like they do when they get the rights to football or cricket. Not overload, which is what they're giving us.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3133389)   #2513
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is anyone else getting a little fed up of this...

DC: At this time in history, in this car on this track!

Cmon DC state the bleeding obvious mate, its just another way of saying the pundits fave At this moment in time!

Hilarious, but someone needs to tell him, it sounds stupid fella!
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3133391)   #2514
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not overload, which is what they're giving us.
It's only overload if you watch it all! Record it and start watching it after you've 15 mins recorded. That's enough to fast forward through the adverts and the reposted "how to watch" on iPad etc. And you'll generally be at "live" at race start. Problem solved.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3133392)   #2515
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

I have watched the whole shebang before but that has been related to illness rather than desire. Still it doesn't hurt me if the programme is on before I watch.
The other stuff they show is good. The legends, the old races, and again the dedicated channel doesn't hurt me when I'm not watching.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3133395)   #2516
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Eee, you had it good,lad. Twenty-four of us in a rolled-up newspaper...

Seriously, I doubt too many people watch the whole shebang. I really think Sky misjudged badly when they devoted a whole channel to F1- they should have alloted 3 0r 4 hours on SkySports1 or some such, like they do when they get the rights to football or cricket. Not overload, which is what they're giving us.
Its all about money though. No point sticking it on Sky Sports 1 when they can try and entice the large Formula One viewership to dish out on a new Sky package and get the new channel 'free'. I doubt Sky care if people feel a bit overloaded as long as they have paid the dosh for the channel. Of course this assuming people don't have Sky already - which most people don't.

I'm also guessing the reason they've done it this way and presented a full F1 channel is to try and make some money back from the deal to get the rights. There are plenty of people that would have purchased a Sky Package just to get F1 and couldn't care about the other Sky Sports channels - they had to make it seem ultra attractive to those customers.

Me I;d rather go to the pub or a mates house or watch it online...for free.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3133397)   #2517
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Lazenby is a decent anchor, it's not his job to do the simple maths nor is it his job to understand fuel loads on lap times (though some understanding would be of use).
He's there to host the show, ask a few preprepared questions and read out other stuff that's also prepared in advance.

He has his panel of experts for that sort of thing.

As for Sky's coverage being much of the same, well I don't think that there is a huge amount more that can be done.
Both BBC and Sky work in the same restricted area between the back of the garages and the hospitality. It will always be the same interviews with the same team personalities and the same banal questions at time too.
Then he shouldn't comment on those and many other topics, since he does not know the sport.

Given the choice, which I have, I prefer to watch the race on Sky but don't bother with the pre race show on either channel because of Lazenby and EJ who both spoil my enjoyment.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3133439)   #2518
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Is anyone else getting a little fed up of this...

DC: At this time in history, in this car on this track!

Cmon DC state the bleeding obvious mate, its just another way of saying the pundits fave At this moment in time!

Hilarious, but someone needs to tell him, it sounds stupid fella!
That sounds like something dead-behind-the-eyes would say on Strictly - highest score, so far, to date.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3133485)   #2519
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Its all about money though.
Exactly. And once you've paid (like I have) to be able to watch the races *they have your money*. Everything else that's broadcast is pretty much pointless - I can not devote enough time to watch it all.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3135616)   #2520
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe Saward has been discussing the media situation in F1 and how the younger generation is not tuning in to F1 the pay TV not helping. He is also looking at how timezones can impact on viewer numbers.
Another part of it is the drivers are not allowed in many cases to say what they think.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...-change-in-f1/
Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3136001)   #2521
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Joe Saward has been discussing the media situation in F1 and how the younger generation is not tuning in to F1 the pay TV not helping. He is also looking at how timezones can impact on viewer numbers.
Another part of it is the drivers are not allowed in many cases to say what they think.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...-change-in-f1/
That's a great article. He's hit the nail on the head as far as young fans are concerned. I was mad keen on Motorsports when I was 15, my 15 year old sun would rather play on his X-Box than watch a GP, however he's no couch potato.

An interesting observation on the price of merchandising. If you go to a gig, bands keep t-shirt prices affordable.

With regard to time-zones and viewing figures how big a TV audience does the far east generate?
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3136020)   #2522
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I must be going to the wrong gigs, the T-Shirts are always expensive. Apart from the rip off ones outside.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3136031)   #2523
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I must be going to the wrong gigs, the T-Shirts are always expensive. Apart from the rip off ones outside.
£15 - £20 I think's ok for a band t-shirt. An F1 team t-shirt's between £40 & £50, that's expensive.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3136052)   #2524
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Crikey, I didn't you had to spend £40 to get an F1 team T-Shirt.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3136142)   #2525
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Crikey, I didn't you had to spend £40 to get an F1 team T-Shirt.
Me either, if you buy in bulk they cost less than £1 each; for good quality;
not a bad mark-up what?
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky