Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7 Dec 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2996478)   #1226
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I see they're trying to spite the BBC by taking a wealth of their presenters
No, they're just trying to get the best team possible. Which, to be fair, I think they've just about done

The BBC deserve no sympathy as they were the ones who orchestrated this whole thing anyway. Your anger should be directed at them for cost-cutting, not Sky for trying to build the best coverage
Old 7 Dec 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2996500)   #1227
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
No, they're just trying to get the best team possible. Which, to be fair, I think they've just about done

The BBC deserve no sympathy as they were the ones who orchestrated this whole thing anyway. Your anger should be directed at them for cost-cutting, not Sky for trying to build the best coverage
I do blame the BBC for selling out but also Bernie for demanding such vast amounts of money and pricing companies out of the running. He had a say in things and chose money over audience numbers. It remains to be seen if this will be good for the British fans or not. Having a dedicated F1 channel full of content is all great, but if 80% of the true fans just can't afford it, then its the economy of the sport that is going to lose out in the long run. I can't imagine Sky will continue to fund an expensive team of presenters and crew to attend every race if subscriptions don't meet the required limit. We could be faced in two years time with Sky trying to get out of their contract and the sport trying to attract fans back on FTA. I've got nothing against Sky apart from the expense of having it.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2996505)   #1228
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

But just going out and 'splashing the cash' to buy what's perceived to be the best components to make up a team is not a sure-fire guarantee fror success. (As we've seen over the years in many forms of motorsport when some wealthy amateur has come along and had a go). Usually this ends in expensive and embarassing failure...
Old 7 Dec 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2996508)   #1229
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
So because I can't afford to pay for Sky each month I'm only interested in gossip? Cheers!
No, I was saying that I think Sky's approach may be a bit gossippy. I'm also a non-Skyer, I think, although I may change my mind (I'll have to turn a blind eye to their reprehensible business practices and hardcore rightwing outlook; I'm talking about News Corp here; perhaps the Sky arm of their busniness does not reflect this). Maybe they will be more technical and generally informed than I'm giving them credit for.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2996516)   #1230
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Maybe they will be more technical and generally informed than I'm giving them credit for.
Brundle says that SKY will give him a better opportunity to do more technical features. I, for one, will look forward to those.

Martin Brundle: "There's so much scope, so much air time, to do the technical features and other things which I really enjoy but haven't had the chance to do," he explained.

"Normally you make nice pieces and it all has to be cut down; now I can make some really nice pieces that tell the story of a complex and fast-moving sport. What I find when I make those features is that I always learn something - quite a lot actually - and if I'm learning stuff after 29 years doing this then hopefully the fans are too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96682
Old 7 Dec 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2996522)   #1231
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I agree they're after the best team, as I tried to say when I mentioned them going for many good members of the BBC team to get them to gel, but with Murdoch's attempts to belittle the importance of the BBC, there's probably an element of doing it to frustrate them too.

The BBC did not go about this in the best way either, and if they blocked Channel 4's bid, there is something questionable there. I would say my anger is more directed at Bernie for only seeing the dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I agree. I think the BBC got the balance exactly right and will presumably continue to do so. If you only wanted to watch qualifying and the race, you could, but if you also wanted to watch the free practice sessions and the post-race chat, you could do that, too, on the red button.

Wall-to-wall F1 for three days at every meeting isn't for me. There are other things in life!
There are indeed and it's a question of time too. I'm happy with all the sessions and the post-race analysis. There may be a lot of filler on a dedicated channel.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2996525)   #1232
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Brundle says that SKY will give him a better opportunity to do more technical features. I, for one, will look forward to those.

Martin Brundle: "There's so much scope, so much air time, to do the technical features and other things which I really enjoy but haven't had the chance to do," he explained.

"Normally you make nice pieces and it all has to be cut down; now I can make some really nice pieces that tell the story of a complex and fast-moving sport. What I find when I make those features is that I always learn something - quite a lot actually - and if I'm learning stuff after 29 years doing this then hopefully the fans are too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96682
Fair enough on that then. I'm always open to being proved wrong. I wonder how much filler there will be on a dedicated channel though.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2996542)   #1233
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
On the contrary. James Murdoch, Chairman of Sky, alleged briber of police and employer of some of the filthiest tactics ever to be employed under the name of news-gathering, has made it his mission to fulfil his father's wish to see the BBC destroyed.

It is the pressure he put on weak and cowardly politicians that forced them to succumb to his wishes and slash BBC funding. The alternative would have been even fewer Tory MP's in the house than they have now, as his once mighty SUN newspaper wouldn't have switched sides prior to the last election.

Enjoy the SKY coverage by all means but please remember you are contributing to a business described in the House of Commons as acting and organised in exactly the same way as the Mafia.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2996581)   #1234
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

Enjoy the SKY coverage by all means but please remember you are contributing to a business described in the House of Commons as acting and organised in exactly the same way as the Mafia.
There are many things that act like 'Mafia's'. For example, the 'Mafia boss analogy' is used quite often to describe, in the bible, how 'God' wields his power.

Old 7 Dec 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2996606)   #1235
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very happy with the Sky F1 line-up
Old 7 Dec 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2996613)   #1236
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There are many things that act like 'Mafia's'. For example, the 'Mafia boss analogy' is used quite often to describe, in the bible, how 'God' wields his power
Ha Ha! Yes, good point perhaps I'll refrain from repeating that analogy in case Mr. Murdoch gets ideas above even his elevated position...
Old 7 Dec 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2996614)   #1237
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Very happy with the Sky F1 line-up
No complaints here, either.

Ben Edwards might have been a good call, but 'Crofty' is probably more up to date with the current comings and goings of F1. Glad they got 'Ant' in there too. Always enjoy their banter during the practice sessions.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2996622)   #1238
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massive fail by Sky. Having a woman recently banned from driving for driving under the influence presenting the F1? Hahaha....

Not that I care. Not lining Murdoch's back pockets, even for F1.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2996628)   #1239
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I see they're trying to spite the BBC by taking a wealth of their presenters (and probably making them more wealthy as well; I don't blame the team for moving). At least I imagine that's part of Sky's plan, other than the logical aspect of making it quicker and easier for the team to gel.

Edit: I see this comment has already been made.
Spite? Or get the best team they can?
Quote:
I remain to be convinced Sky will be for the more hardcore fan; for the more gossip-interested fan, I suspect. There's no need for such saturation of F1 programmes.
Hardcore and gossip-interested are different IMHO.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2996635)   #1240
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I will probably watch on both. So to cover that here is my comment on the line-ups.

The BBC has done really well and they have lost the weak members. They will blow sky out of the water.
sky, on the other hand, have put together a fantastic line-up that is the best. I'm really chuffed.

Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2996636)   #1241
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Massive fail by Sky. Having a woman recently banned from driving for driving under the influence presenting the F1? Hahaha....

Not that I care. Not lining Murdoch's back pockets, even for F1.
If you don't care, why even bother to post?

You must clearly care enough to feel that Sky are making some form of mistake

But to correct you,it was announced that she would be co-hosting a magazine programme about F1, she won't be presenting "the F1"
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2996640)   #1242
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Did Dec's girlfriend used to do A1GP (a quick google picture search was doe to find out who Thompson is).
Actually does this mean sky got cofused and actually wanted to employ Ant and Dec? Got the wrong Ant and Dec's girlfriend?
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2996646)   #1243
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
She was the studio presenter - slightly vertically challenged.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2996651)   #1244
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Did Dec's girlfriend used to do A1GP (a quick google picture search was doe to find out who Thompson is).
Actually does this mean sky got cofused and actually wanted to employ Ant and Dec? Got the wrong Ant and Dec's girlfriend?
Yes Georgie is Dec's ex. I'm pretty sure she did A1 GP.

Also went to the same private girls school as Natalie Pinkham.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/...blic-hard.html
Old 7 Dec 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2996658)   #1245
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Best look up Natalie now...

Edit, oh how silly of me.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2996668)   #1246
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The BBC has done really well and they have lost the weak members. They will blow sky out of the water.
sky, on the other hand, have put together a fantastic line-up that is the best. I'm really chuffed.

Not really, the Beeb are still stuck with Jake.

Main thing is that the Beeb don't inflict us with more more motorsport numpties who haven't a clue about F1.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2996698)   #1247
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I thought the same as you, but changed my mind. His job wasn't to impart his vast knowledge on to us. He was anchor, and played role perfectly IMHO.

A bit like Simon Lazenby does on sky for rugby. Although he did play a little.

Not quite the point of my post anyway...
Old 7 Dec 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2996714)   #1248
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I've actually bothered to read the press release now. So Simon is the main anchor. This is good, but I'm slightly annoyed if it mean his input to rugby is reduced.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2996758)   #1249
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I see they're trying to spite the BBC by taking a wealth of their presenters (and probably making them more wealthy as well; I don't blame the team for moving). At least I imagine that's part of Sky's plan, other than the logical aspect of making it quicker and easier for the team to gel.
There's no real poaching to be done. It's hard to get jigged up about broadcasting 50% live if the rival is broadcasting 100% live. Nature takes it course.

Both BBC and Sky seem to have competent line-ups after all is said and done.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2996761)   #1250
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've actually bothered to read the press release now. So Simon is the main anchor. This is good, but I'm slightly annoyed if it mean his input to rugby is reduced.
I think Sky have gone for overkill. Steve Rider would have been a good main anchor and has the experience.

They took on Georgie so Ant would no longer be the shortest member of the team.

Georgie and Natalie went to school together in Northampton and have apparently known each other since they were 3!
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky