Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Mar 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3625171)   #151
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I hope IMSA Weather tech series gets a GT4 class. I like to see a X bow at the 12hours of Sebring.
Throw out PC, bring in GT4?! Maybe not a bad trade-off, though you would cannibalize an already weak CTSC and guys like Reiter would have serious problems coming up with the pay-to-play fee that IMSA seems to require for the Weather Tech Series.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3625214)   #152
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It shouldn't really, Conti is a high production showroom stock car series. And GT4 got kit cars, in fact the reason why everyone raised a big stink about the Z/28s is well they weren't showroom stock, it was pretty much a illegal kit car allowed in the series.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3625229)   #153
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And GT4 got kit cars
Recently, and so far not in dominant quantities... the bread and butter cars of GT4 are still the very Conti-ish BMWs, Porsches and Astons.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3625271)   #154
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkart View Post
LOL someone's late to the party!
Ohhh, I'm soo sorry! What a helpful way it is how you tell me that it's not new news. Sorry that I don't have time to follow it all that active.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3625286)   #155
Rcz
Veteran

United States
To be honest, I not sure what is different between a GS car and a GT4 one. I think it's aero, ABS, and TC. I know GS is slower then GT4.

I like to see small bore GT cars in the series, because I believe they have their place in racing. and GT4 sounds like the old IMSA GTU, well except with pony cars.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3625288)   #156
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
To be honest, I not sure what is different between a GS car and a GT4 one. I think it's aero, ABS, and TC. I know GS is slower then GT4.
GT4 used to be GS... one of the very first GT4 cars was the Mustang FR500C... and they used to race that one "as is" here in Europe.
Things changed a bit since then, and there ware a few years when it looked like the class would totally collapse. That's when the organizers opened up the door for the kit car type of cars, but as I said above, the back bone of the class have always been the original gen Astons, BMW E90s and in the UK Ginettas. I am not even too sure about the performance advantage of the Euro-cars. They've got more aero, but they tend to run very low hp. Under 400hp in most cases, I think so that might actually even things out.

Quote:
I like to see small bore GT cars in the series, because I believe they have their place in racing. and GT4 sounds like the old IMSA GTU, well except with pony cars.
Same here, but right now, the only cars that would fit the GTU-description is the pair of Toyota GT86s raced in the British series. All the other cars are either kit-cars (not a GTU-thing back in the 80s) or V8-cars like the Camaro, BMW and Aston. In some cases both, with the Sin being a V8 kit-car. Well, I guess the Caymans coming into the series this year are slightly GTU-ish as well, but that's only a very recent development.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 00:36 (Ref:3625353)   #157
Rcz
Veteran

United States
There's also the Lotus, Alfa 4c and Mazda MX5s. There's a lot of GT cars with small engines out there
Old 21 Mar 2016, 15:55 (Ref:3625589)   #158
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
There's also the Lotus, Alfa 4c and Mazda MX5s. There's a lot of GT cars with small engines out there
That Lotus has a 4 litre V6-engine, the Mazda was a €200k one/off and there has never been a GT4 Alfa 4C.

The differentiation between GT3 and GT4 has always been the cars state of tune, not the engine size.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 16:03 (Ref:3625592)   #159
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Greenville, South Carolina
Madkart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
That Lotus has a 4 litre V6-engine, the Mazda was a €200k one/off and there has never been a GT4 Alfa 4C.

The differentiation between GT3 and GT4 has always been the cars state of tune, not the engine size.
Oh wow, was the British GT MX-5 GT4 car really a €200k one/off? That's insane if true.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3625625)   #160
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems Audi is considering turning their TT Cup car into a gt4:

http://sportscar365.com/gt/audi-pois...sion-into-gt4/
Old 21 Mar 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3625674)   #161
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I didn't know Mazda has a GT4 MX5

Well anyway I believe some series do put a engine limit on GT4 cars. I believe around 3.5 liters or so. Well whatever happens I hope to see some of these cars at the NAEC races.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3625681)   #162
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
I didn't know Mazda has a GT4 MX5

Well anyway I believe some series do put a engine limit on GT4 cars. I believe around 3.5 liters or so. Well whatever happens I hope to see some of these cars at the NAEC races.
Mazda never did a GT4 car. This was a home made project.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3625683)   #163
Speed-King
Veteran

Nope, importer-comissioned project:

Quote:
In 2010 Mazda UK commissioned Jota Sport to take the brand back to the track to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the legendary MX-5 sports car. Six motoring and lifestyle journalists competed in the MX-5s at two highly prominent endurance races at Silverstone and Snetterton. The result was that 52 print media publications and 14 internet publications carried the story.

Following a successful programme of racing and media coverage alike, Mazda commissioned the engineers at Jota Design to conceive and build a GT4 edition of the Mazda MX-5, which will compete in the British GT Championship.
http://www.jotagroup.com/mazdaaboutjotasport.php
Old 21 Mar 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3625696)   #164
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Nope, importer-comissioned project:

http://www.jotagroup.com/mazdaaboutjotasport.php
Ah, very very interesting. Never knew Jota Group was also involved. Cool to know.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3625698)   #165
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
Ohhh, I'm soo sorry! What a helpful way it is how you tell me that it's not new news. Sorry that I don't have time to follow it all that active.
Don't take things too personal, friend. This is the internet after all. I was never making fun of you, just joking with you. No harm feelings!
Old 22 Mar 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3625805)   #166
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3628127)   #167
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy
leglizone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to see the new McLaren 570s Gt4 on track in a recent test. I hope this could be a motivation for few team to race in this class soon...
http://www.motorpix.it/2016/03/25/bl...st-monza-2016/
Attached Thumbnails
zz.jpg  
Old 6 Apr 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3630800)   #168
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only see the way McLaren have approached GT4 as a bad thing.

It goes against the ethos of the class with extreme power, high levels of down force. To to mention centre lock wheels etc

This is only going to raise the cost of running in the class to levels that it then excludes a large proportion of the likely racers just as the class as growing.

The additional upgrades that the other manufacturers will now start looking to apply to their cars to make them competitive will be prohibitively expensive devaluing current cars maybe to the point of loosing a lot of the current entrants.
This is before teams have to start investing in the extra equipment that will be required to run the cars as up until now the cars have only required fairly basic equipment opening up the options to run the cars to lots of new teams moving up the ladder.
I hope it doesn't as I see GT4 as the future of the start of GT racing steps and hope it will grow in its current guise.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3634869)   #169
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Entry list round 1 at Monza:
http://cms.autosport.nl/images/stori...2016-04-19.pdf

27 cars!
Old 19 Apr 2016, 19:50 (Ref:3634962)   #170
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Entry list round 1 at Monza:
http://cms.autosport.nl/images/stori...2016-04-19.pdf

27 cars!
Great diversity too...
Old 20 Apr 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3635059)   #171
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Shame no Ginetta's.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 09:28 (Ref:3635068)   #172
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
I can only see the way McLaren have approached GT4 as a bad thing.

It goes against the ethos of the class with extreme power, high levels of down force. To to mention centre lock wheels etc

This is only going to raise the cost of running in the class to levels that it then excludes a large proportion of the likely racers just as the class as growing.

The additional upgrades that the other manufacturers will now start looking to apply to their cars to make them competitive will be prohibitively expensive devaluing current cars maybe to the point of loosing a lot of the current entrants.
This is before teams have to start investing in the extra equipment that will be required to run the cars as up until now the cars have only required fairly basic equipment opening up the options to run the cars to lots of new teams moving up the ladder.
I hope it doesn't as I see GT4 as the future of the start of GT racing steps and hope it will grow in its current guise.
Agree with all of that.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 09:31 (Ref:3635070)   #173
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Shame no Ginetta's.
Why? I understood why they were allowed to race when the category was in it's infancy, in order to build grids, and the Ginettas are relatively affordable GT race. Cars but Gi ettadoes t even make a road car anymore, so imho they should not be allowed in FIA competition, and it's arguable whether should be allowed in national series anymore either.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 09:39 (Ref:3635071)   #174
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Because I like Ginetta. You could probably say the same about the Sin R1.

IMO Ginetta belongs more to GT4 than McLaren.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3635072)   #175
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Some news about the Porsche Cayman GT4:
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...customers.html

Porsche is making a mess of it. This is not the way you treat your customers.