Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3770307)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Greatest drivers never to win the WDC

I know that the vast majority of you will be divided between the Stirling Moss and Gilles Villeneuve camps, but let me just throw in:

Tony Brooks
Chris Amon
Stefan Bellof

... and wait for the barney to start.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3770320)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stirling Moss & Gilles Villenuve.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3770340)   #3
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Ronnie has to be on the list?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 02:02 (Ref:3770428)   #4
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Probably the greatest of them all to never win a WDC has to be Massa. One of THE best, most talented F1 drivers ever!

/sarcasm.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 02:10 (Ref:3770430)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark Webber...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3770507)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Massa was so close, Webber just failed at the last, Montoya I feel should have won at least one, Moss we know about, Brooks was underrated, Villeneuve Sr could have, as could have Peterson, Reutemann almost certainly should have won 1981, but he just didn't seem to have the heart in the latter part of the season
Old 29 Sep 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3770546)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some odd answers above already...

Stirling Moss is the obvious not odd answer. Most other drivers that 'deserved' to win it did so. There are more drivers who didn't deserve it than did.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3770547)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
An obvious omission from this list: Me, because I am the greatest driver ever (in my opinion!)
Old 29 Sep 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3770556)   #9
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John Watson. Ask him, he'll confirm it.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3770557)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's a hard question to answer. Moss i the obvious answer.

Jacky Ickx was twice runner up... Of more recent drivers - I an pretty sure both Alessandro Nannini and Robert Kubica would possibly have landed top line F1 drives if it were not for their accidents, and from there I think both would have been capable of winning a WDC.

That does not necessarily mean any of them are the best ever not to win a WDC though.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3770569)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah Kubica surely would have won it, Nannini, not so sure. And Pironi was surely on his way to the title in 82. And Alboreto gave Prost a run for his dosh in 85.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3770575)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jean Alesi, imo.
Had he gone to Williams instead of Ferrari he would've been WDC instead of Mansell, and perhaps in 1993 as well, and certainly would've fared better than Hill after.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3770576)   #13
htc
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
htc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce McLaren
Old 30 Sep 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3770709)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Elio De Angelis
Old 30 Sep 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3770757)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

Elio was a great geezer, but he was never hungry enough. Surprised no one seems to have mentioned Dan Gurney, the only driver Clark ever feared. And Chris Amon was unlucky to never win a WC race, but he had the talent to be a champion. And Cevert if the sport hadn't been so cruel, would surely have been a champion
Old 2 Oct 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3771209)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
How about Tony Brise? As a rookie he had Merzario, Migault, Jones and Stommelen as team mates, and was never out-qualified or out raced by any of them
Huge talent lost.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3771228)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

Yes Brise was one who could have been. And Collins would have been if he hadn't given it away to Fangio
Old 5 Oct 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3772038)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would agree with Massa, in his pomp he was pretty much number 1 at Ferrari, was hustling Schuey very nicely and often had the beating of Kimi, so should have nabbed at least one.

Obviously Moss, not so sure about Gilles, he was a race man not a championship man, self confessed! But you have to think given time one was likely.

I would also go for Carlos Reutemann, it was in his hands and he threw it away.

Jacky Ickx obviously did not want to win it when he had the chance.

Would agree with Ronnie, should have won with Lotus first time around.

Agreed on Montoya, proved himself quicker than Schuey and tougher more than a few times, so in a better car a likely champ. Not so much Webber, never really had the beating of Seb, and when he did he messed up.

Bellof? Was not around for long enough to know. Sadly.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3772041)   #19
wnut
Veteran

Jo Siffert: Started slowly but was a huge talent when he was killed.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3772921)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Francois Cevert and Ronnie Peterson immediately spring to mind.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3773046)   #21
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlos Reutemann has to be on the list too.

He obtained the second position in the championship in 1981, he lost the title by only 1 point with Piquet that year.
He got the third position in the championship in 3 occasions (1975, 1978 and 1980) and he was fourth in 1977.
He got 12 Victories in F1: Nurburgring (Nordschleife) in 1975, Monaco (1980), Long Beach (1978), Brands Hatch (1978), 2 times in Watkins Glen (1974 and 1978), Osterreichring in 1974, Kyalami 1974, 3 times in Brazil (1977, 1978 and 1981) and Zolder 1981.
He has certainly to be on that list.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 21:31 (Ref:3773083)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Jo Siffert: Started slowly but was a huge talent when he was killed.
Great shout.
I don't know if he could have become an F1 world champion, but I'd like to think so.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 01:53 (Ref:3773322)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Daniel Ricciardo
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Oct 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3773383)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nannini wasn't an ace imo so I don't see him a lost WDC at all.

Johnny Herbert was more than good enough had he not had the career changing shunt at Brands. The fact that he was still competitive in most cars and on most circuits for years when he came back full time is quite telling.

Montoya is a definite! he should've had 2003 but for a couple of reliability issues, the Monza tyre debacle and a non penalty in Indy!

Alesi certainly.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3773394)   #25
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
  • Coulthard?
  • As descrobed on Top Gear, the 62 year old brazillian Barrichello?
  • Berger?

I think Maldonado had it in him...