Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 May 2003, 09:16 (Ref:610230)   #1
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Creative photo's

Anybody wish to post their creative motorsport efforts here?

This is a file of a rally car shot in black and white on a Fed 5c rangefinder which I have given a "lith" type effect in photoshop
Attached Thumbnails
rally car lith.jpg  

Last edited by tanalised; 26 May 2003 at 09:16.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:28 (Ref:610609)   #2
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the dark top and bottom edges - really concentrates your eye on the main subject. It looks a little like a car driving through wispy smoke, like they use in wind tunnels.

Effect is nice - I think it makes more impact than pure black and white.
Old 28 May 2003, 09:32 (Ref:612247)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like this one...it was originally four piles of tyres in the Autumn sun in the Silverstone paddock last October. Using the Rotating Mirror option in PaintShop Pro created a rosebud of tyres that I loved
Attached Thumbnails
tyredout.jpg  
Old 28 May 2003, 13:45 (Ref:612501)   #4
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Oh, weird. It may be just me but if I look at the middle of the rosette then shift my gaze along one of the radiating lines bisecting each 'petal' it seems to unfurl slightly. Optical effect I guess.

I really like this image - you can almost imagine it 20 feet up as a fresco on some fancy French maison maitre. If you could make it tile seamlessly and tone down the lightest grey, it would make a nice wallpaper. Plus, get rid of the tyres in the corners unless you can make them match up to create another rosette when tiled.
Old 29 May 2003, 14:00 (Ref:613660)   #5
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice shots and a good topic for a thread. Here's a few of my long exposure experiments...

Le Mans 2001

Le Mans Classic 2002

Cardiff WRC Superspecial

Last edited by stefan; 29 May 2003 at 14:04.
Old 29 May 2003, 18:58 (Ref:613967)   #6
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
a 4 sequence shot of Tommi Makkinen. I've got a better one somewhere, just have to find the disc
Attached Thumbnails
tommi.jpg  
Old 29 May 2003, 19:10 (Ref:613987)   #7
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
ah, found it. another sequence of Makkinen stitched together. I took 5 shots in a row of him coming uphill over this curve; 1 was quite blurry, but these ones were okay and are a good illustration of the lines these guys run on the road
Attached Thumbnails
makkinen s bend.jpg  
Old 29 May 2003, 19:43 (Ref:614033)   #8
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's cool, looks exactly like there are 4 cars within metres of each other. Chasing each other round the stae:
Old 29 May 2003, 19:46 (Ref:614038)   #9
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
STAGE, not stae: Honestly, Brain working faster than fingers.
Old 30 May 2003, 08:05 (Ref:614462)   #10
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a great idea, great photos! - it'd be interesting to try it with even more cars. Perhaps grabs from a video would do it if the camera won't shoot fast enough.

Last edited by stefan; 30 May 2003 at 08:05.
Old 30 May 2003, 15:26 (Ref:614851)   #11
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tanalised, the sequence shots are fantastic!

Any chance you could give us a few tips?
Old 30 May 2003, 23:46 (Ref:615381)   #12
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
The image of the 4 cars at stages of sliding around a corner - I wonder if you were to make the first three transparent at, say, 20%, 50% and 80% it would give a sense of movement. Or would it look rather tacky?
Old 31 May 2003, 00:59 (Ref:615405)   #13
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
Yes the 4 shot with Tommi's car sliding around the corner isn't quite "right". All the originals are on slides, which at the time I had printed and then cut up and joined, then scanned and blended or cloned in the joins. As opposed to panning I've tried using the fastest possible (available) shutter speed to freeze the action and fit in as many frames of the subject as possible. In the corner shot mentioned there were a few more frames but they just were overlapping the one before it as he accelerated off the corner and towards the camera. I've thought about trying to adjust the transperancy of different layers in photoshop, not to try and gain a sense of motion but rather to see if I could make the cars visible through the windows of the one in front of it; but have never got round to it.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 20:45 (Ref:643070)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that composite photo is good, like the snowboarding ones, gives a good impression of the line, might need to try that.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 00:03 (Ref:728225)   #15
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
artistic license

I think I prefer:
Attached Thumbnails
rally car lith1.jpg  
Old 24 Sep 2003, 09:20 (Ref:728509)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
le mans 2003. pretty simple really.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 07:47 (Ref:731579)   #17
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
all very good stuff guys. I'll pop in some more and see what else is up.
cheers
Old 28 Sep 2003, 21:36 (Ref:733272)   #18
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I created this image of Jimmy Vasser as wallpaper for Champweb.net
Attached Thumbnails
vasser.jpg  
Old 29 Sep 2003, 03:27 (Ref:733517)   #19
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
one of the class winning Ferraris leaving the pits at this years LeMans peliminary weekend in May.
Attached Thumbnails
web_lm_ferrari_blur0653.jpg  
Old 29 Sep 2003, 15:56 (Ref:734248)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are you sure, djb? That looks like the Risi 360 to me. (Not to take away from the beauty of the shot...)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:57 (Ref:734336)   #21
djb
Veteran

you could be right, I'm no expert on the various teams and/or cars and spent my time there in purely visual mode, trying to store car names and teams in the back of my mind whilst mostly making sure I didn't end up under a Panoz, Audi or Courage--it's one hell of a busy pitlane and they tend to all pull in differently ways so you really have to have a swivel head on all the time.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 00:47 (Ref:738668)   #22
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the best "creative" shot that I've taken that has actually turned out OK (well, I like it anyway).

I was playing around with slow shutter speeds, panning and autofocus. Out of a couple of rolls of film, I got about 5 "good" shots, this being my favourite.

I think what happened here is that the autofocus has grabbed the front of the car, but as it was sliding quite violently at the time, the back has slipped out of focus (?does that sound plausible? I'm a novice at this)

thoughts, comments appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
gtvatmtcottondrivertrainingcentresml.jpg  
Old 3 Oct 2003, 20:52 (Ref:739809)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
...whilst mostly making sure I didn't end up under a Panoz, Audi or Courage--it's one hell of a busy pitlane...
You do seem to be facing the wrong way...

I can tell you for sure that's the Risi 360, as they had Calpont sponsorship and Prodrive had pure red sides (as in the ALMS, too).

Nice shot, BTW.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Oct 2003, 01:47 (Ref:739971)   #24
djb
Veteran

thanks Paul

"I can tell you for sure that's the Risi 360, as they had Calpont sponsorship and Prodrive had pure red sides (as in the ALMS, too)."

this car was driven by Anthony Davidson and another Brit I believe, hence the Union Jack, and I swear, I could hear the Prodrive mechanic yelling for the guy with the jack to hurry up.....

nice Alfa shot there from Down Under, I've always understood it as the lens and car (or part of car) moving at the same plane and speed, thus being sharp, while the rest is out of whack and so does the whirly stuff--nothing like a purely technical explanation huh?
Attached Thumbnails
prodrive_web_0702.jpg  

Last edited by djb; 4 Oct 2003 at 01:51.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 23:44 (Ref:741439)   #25
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers djb - that's about consistent with my normal explanation as well - I could try to express it in terms of shutter speed and apature influence on depth of field, but I'd probably slip up somewhere and anyway, it would not accurately reflect that it was a lucky snap, not a preplanned exercise in photographic skill or expertise.