Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Dec 2002, 21:00 (Ref:443660)   #26
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I totally agree running ANY kind of racing series has to be extrmely hard but a world class International series, well lets just say Chris Pook does a better job than most people Im sure of that.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 07:30 (Ref:443937)   #27
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Like I've said before, Pook should've gotten the "Rookie-of-the-Year" award.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 14:18 (Ref:444224)   #28
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"By choosing to be a faux Formula 1 with “international” cars and drivers, as opposed to building loyalty among domestic spectators, teams and drivers, their doom was sealed."

And the IRL is doing a bang up job with this isn't it? Besides Hornish, how many "domestic" drivers are in contention. In fact, how many "domestic" drivers have they even given a ride to in the past two years? Even their own shills can't get anything right.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 16:18 (Ref:444359)   #29
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
American-bashers love this stuff - they then point to things like the World Series and say things like "the only way they can guarantee an American win is if only Americans play" and other types of comments.

In 1966, the press made such a fuss about Jim McElreath (who finished 3rd in the Indy 500) that Graham Hill said "they should strike a trophy for the top American."

Brock was probably reporting on that race. He probably still is.

My experience is that Americans in general like winners, not just Americans. It's just the sports press can be jingoistic.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Dec 2002, 23:44 (Ref:444725)   #30
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The man who was the head of Champ Car PR for about a week (his name was Pat and he was something at Target before he came to CART) made the quintessential comment in that regard, and it got him fired: "When Zanardi became a winner," he said, " Everyone forgot he was Italian."

I was one of the many who wrote angry letters to Racer magazine after that article came out. Fortunately even Andrew Craig knew better than to keep that man around.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 23:27 (Ref:455119)   #31
NGS
Rookie

NGS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That man needs to take his head out of his @$$. The view from there is S*** no matter what way you're looking.

Nigel Graham Schlemming
Old 21 Dec 2002, 23:45 (Ref:455125)   #32
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "World Series" was named after the New York World newspaper, which was its original title sponsor. Unlike the "International Race of Champions" it made no pretense of being anything but an American series.

I suppose IROC can call itsself "International" because it lets Kenny Brack drive one of its trucks.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 02:39 (Ref:455218)   #33
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact is that PR guy was right. The American general press can be jingoistic(not always) and his comment that everyone forgot that Alex was Italian, and not an 'Italian-American'like Mario and Micheal in the euphoria that surrounded him at the time shows just how dishonest and hypocritical some people can be.Few americans live for any length of time outside Nth America but the rest of the world has a quite different view of American nationalism. Because i lived in the US for three/four years in the 80's and liked americans and their enthusiasm for America I appreciate where they're coming from but many non americans hate americans and america because of it. I'm forever supporting America and defending American ways to people who see it in a completely different (and non-contextural )light.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 03:02 (Ref:455230)   #34
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we do have a big problem knowing the difference between loving our country, and blindly following authority. But that's beside the point.

What set Alex apart, basically, was the donuts. Alex has a spirit and a love of racing which, combined with his incredible talent, made American fans fall in love with him in a way they never fell in love with any other foreign driver, not even Emmo.

Contrary to popular belief, we _are_ smart enough to respect an appreciate racing for the sake of racing... But, for marketing purposes especially, we want a guy like Mario Andretti, Rick Mears, or Al Unser we can really root for. Right now, Paul Tracy's the closest we've got (nobody wants to root for Vasser), and from his driving style and personal character, he's the kind of racer who earns fans and respect here. An aggressive driver who occaisonally boils over, a straight shooter who speaks his mind, and causes trouble with the powers that be...

Look at guys like the late Dale Earnhardt, or Tony Stewart... Those are the kind of drivers who Americans would really root for.

Dammit! If they'd gotten Paul Edwards, he couldn't been that guy!
Old 22 Dec 2002, 03:29 (Ref:455241)   #35
Liz
Veteran

Every country likes to support "their guys" -- nothing wrong with that. A friend of mine from New Zealand says that there is a terrific uproar going on there about "traitors" -- Kiwis going to work for non-Kiwi America's Cup teams -- and he is quite disgusted with people about that, as he prefers to support people's right to work for whatever team they want to. Unless it's the Olympics or the World Cup I don't think it matters though.

Zanardi was a very special guy and he still is today, but his being Italian is a very important part of who he is. After his son was born, he went back to Italy because it was very important to him to bring up his son as an Italian.

Sometimes I wonder what might have been, had he stuck to that decision ... but I suppose his love for racing overcame even that.

I wonder if we could get any of the Speed World Challenge guys into Champ Cars? I'd like to see what Randy Pobst could do for one!
Old 22 Dec 2002, 04:21 (Ref:455259)   #36
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm... Probably not. While it's a hell of a competitive series, it's not being used to bring up young guys right now... We saw how awesome Paul Edwards was in that Audi, though!
Old 22 Dec 2002, 14:00 (Ref:455491)   #37
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple comments:
1. Bizzo, Alex Barron and Jeff Ward won IRL races in 2002, Sarah Fisher won a pole position and led and was in contention for a win at Chicago. Eddie Cheever had a frustrating season but was in the hunt at times. You can look it up.
2. Zanardi was carefully "Americanized." He was known in Europe as "Sandro" because his first name is Alessandro. When he came over here, the astute PR rep at Ganassi orchestrated calling him Alex, the Americanized version of his name, for appeal in the U.S. His successes then took care of themselves.
3. Guys like Arie Luyendyk and Roberto Guerrero "Americanized" themselves and Guerrero became a U.S. citizen. Paul Tracy appeals to U.S. fans for the reasons Lee mentioned with good analogies to Earnhardt and Stewart, but also because he's Canadian and part of the nearby English-speaking continent. If he was from Nairobi, it'd be more difficult.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 14:47 (Ref:455506)   #38
Liz
Veteran

Yes, as to "Americanizing" names -- Juan Pablo became simply "Juan" (I guess "Jack" was out of the question?); and Max Papis (and Max Angelelli) also ditched their true names so the Americans wouldn't have to strain themselves to learn how to pronounce any thing more than one syllable ... and then there's the race commentator at the first USGP who called Heinz-Harald Frenzen "Hank", Michael Schumacher "Mike" and Rubens "Ruby" ...

An insistence on familiarity is certainly an American trait, although I am not sure I'd accept the change of my name by PR people for the reason that Americans didn't like the name my parents gave me ...

The records at Ellis Island are replete with the names of people who came from other countries and were given names Americans liked better than the ones they were born with -- which makes doing geneology really interesting, too.

I suppose teaching Americans to say "Sandro" was out of the question?
Old 22 Dec 2002, 22:53 (Ref:455765)   #39
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

I suppose teaching Americans to say "Sandro" was out of the question?
I don't think so, unless you figure we are a nation of idiots. I'm not sure WHAT you think.