Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 5 Mar 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3805961)   #51
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And I see Chase got taken out by the older Busch sister....

Old 5 Mar 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3805966)   #52
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Harvick looks scary good right now and given that he has eight(!) wins at Phoenix (sorry, ISM Raceway) I would not bet against him picking up the hat trick next weekend.

Speaking of Phoenix (sorry, ISM Raceway), the spring race will mark the last time they use the current "layout" - for the fall race the start/finishline will be moved to the exit of turn 2, right before the dogleg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And I see Chase got taken out by the older Busch sister....

Yeah that was a shame, but it was just one of them racin' deals - the #41 lost traction and skated up the track into the #9 which just happened to be there. Wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3805971)   #53
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Yeah that was a shame, but it was just one of them racin' deals - the #41 lost traction and skated up the track into the #9 which just happened to be there. Wrong place at the wrong time.
Yes indeed. The Kid can't catch a break!
Old 5 Mar 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3806090)   #54
Lazyking
Rookie

United States
Lazyking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
Well, Las Vegas is over. Not much to be said about this race. Kevin spent most of the day in a different zip code that the rest of the drivers in the race. It appeared that Kyle Busch might make it a run in the closing laps, but in the end it really wasn't close. Busch couldn't get any closer that about three seconds back. Harvick and his team appear to have done their homework in the off-season. If Vegas and Atlanta are any indication, he'll dominate the three smith Charlotte clones and the D shaped 1 1/2 milers this season.
Amusing that the nationwide race or whatever they're calling it now.. that vegas race was way more entertaining.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3806691)   #55
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes indeed. The Kid can't catch a break!
It's those damn magnets someone stuck on his fenders 😕
Old 7 Mar 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3806723)   #56
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Amusing that the nationwide race or whatever they're calling it now.. that vegas race was way more entertaining.
In the past, that was often the case. Back in the hay day of the Busch Grand National Series, the Busch cars sometime ran faster that the Cup Cars, at tracks like Bristol. The competition was furious. You had seasoned veterans, that had made the Busch Series their home, drivers like Jack "The Ironman" Ingram, that would fight you tooth and nail for the win. They didn't care who the driver was, Cup regular or new, upcoming future superstar, hotshot, you would have to get through them to get a win. The great thing about it was, back in those days, drivers like Ingram mentored the up and coming stars, taught them the ropes and get them prepared for the Cup Series. Under the format that they ran then, the Busch Series rose to number two, second only to the Winston Cup Series, as the most popular racing series in the country! It has really been bad to see what the IDIOTICY of NASCAR's leadership(?) under BRAIN-DEAD Brian have done to this once proud series!
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3811015)   #57
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I think the snow race is about to start. March in Virginia was a risk:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#47b742ad4494

Quote:
There have been five races held at Martinsville in March, but this was the earliest race scheduled there in the history of the track, which opened in 1949. March races are actually a recent occurrence at Martinsville: None of the five March races were held before 2008, or before March 29.
Not sure what they're trying, but it didn't work out here. Hindsight is a beautiful thing!
Old 26 Mar 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3811097)   #58
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Yeah, they got it in today, after all the snow yesterday. You're right, really iffy weather in VA, in March. I got home from work and turned the TV on. There were 30 laps to go in the 2nd heat race. Watched them and through the end. No one saw Bowyer coming I don't think. Congratulations to him for breaking his dry spell of wins. From what I could, it was a pretty good race. Something that cannot be said very often in these days.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 23:14 (Ref:3811104)   #59
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Yeah, they got it in today, after all the snow yesterday. You're right, really iffy weather in VA, in March. I got home from work and turned the TV on. There were 30 laps to go in the 2nd heat race. Watched them and through the end. No one saw Bowyer coming I don't think. Congratulations to him for breaking his dry spell of wins. From what I could, it was a pretty good race. Something that cannot be said very often in these days.
Good for Clint!

Martinsville generally has the better shows of the year. Shame the weather didn't cooperate.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3811337)   #60
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Good for Clint!

Martinsville generally has the better shows of the year. Shame the weather didn't cooperate.
Agreed, Martinsville does tend to put on a good show. This has just been a weird year for weather. Very unsettled. Guess they were due for some bad weather there. Glad they were able to get it in Monday.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3816169)   #61
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the better races at Bristol in quite a few years (if we pretend the rain delay never happened, that is), all thanks to the sealant making the bottom groove the way to go. You could almost feel the old, classic desperation hanging in the air - just like old times, before the track was so rudely abused and left to die by the side of the road.

I'm actually looking forward to the Bristol fall race now.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3816194)   #62
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
The Bristol I recall was the congo line at the bottom and bump n runs. It was good fun to watch and made for a good show. People seem to forget that before the surface was concrete, the asphalt track preferred line was at the top where dive bombs and slide jobs were the name of the game. I liked both. The problem is (was, maybe), no one liked the most recent changes. NO ONE. Maybe it's "fixed"?

Sad to think I was in a restaurant yesterday evening and I looked at one of the TVs where Kyle was bowing to the crowd and my 7 yr old son asked, "Dad, do we like the M&Ms car?" "No, son, we definitely don't." Then I realized it was Bristol and I had no clue it was this weekend and didn't care that I missed it....
Old 18 Apr 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3816430)   #63
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
This race looked allot more like the Bristol of old, that it has since smith SCREWED UP the tack by trying to fix what WAS NOT broken to start with! I remember Bristol, a concrete track as well. You're right Field of Dreams, that is the way racing was before concrete! Personally, I always liked the racing the way it was when the track was asphalt!

Wonder what had happened to Y'all. First time, since Martinsville, that anyone has posted about the races. I check here every day, haven't seen anybody.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3816560)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
This race looked allot more like the Bristol of old, that it has since smith SCREWED UP the tack by trying to fix what WAS NOT broken to start with! I remember Bristol, a concrete track as well. You're right Field of Dreams, that is the way racing was before concrete! Personally, I always liked the racing the way it was when the track was asphalt!

Wonder what had happened to Y'all. First time, since Martinsville, that anyone has posted about the races. I check here every day, haven't seen anybody.
R.Lee, I think my (and others) negativity ran off canamman, which stinks because I see him twice a year at Road Atlanta and I'm sure he's still watching, just not posting. Others who posted when I started here, just don't watch anymore...

I tried to get into other series but found time / access difficult.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 22:31 (Ref:3816710)   #65
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
R.Lee, I think my (and others) negativity ran off canamman, which stinks because I see him twice a year at Road Atlanta and I'm sure he's still watching, just not posting. Others who posted when I started here, just don't watch anymore...
I exchanged private messages here with him, a couple of weeks ago. I sent him one and he was looking for me at the same time. He was looking for me, wondering if I had gone to Dixie Speedway for the American Flat Track motorcycle races. After attending the Flat Track races there, last year, he became a big fan and follows the series on fanschoice.tv and NBCSN. it was pure luck that we happened to meet at the track there. He is a GREAT guy! We are keeping in touch here, following and discussing the Flat Track races via PM. He said that he had been posting on another forum that was allot more positive toward NASCAR. He mentioned a lot of negativity here against NASCAR and that being a NASCAR fan, he did not appreciate that, so he doesn't post here anymore. He did not mention any names, isn't mad at anyone, just that he did not like all the negativity toward NASCAR. Believe me, I FULLY understand where he is coming from there. That is why I so LOATH, HATE or whatever, road-racing, sports car and formula car racing, PARTICULARY those that run at the other race, in Indiana, in May. I have had to put up with those fans and their HATRED, negativity, insults, arrogance and rudeness toward NASCAR, NASCAR racing, NASCAR drivers, teams and fans for practically all of my life. I say practically all of my life because I have been following NASCAR and other stock car racing series since I was 5 years old and I am about 4 and a quarter months shy of being 65 years old now. I have been involved in wars of words, fights, etc., with fans of those series/forms of racing on the internet for a number of years and in a couple of incidences in actual fist-fights with them in person! All because they HATE everything NASCAR including NASCAR fans and though/think that they had/have the right to insult, disparage, etc., NASCAR fans because we don't share their opinions, happen to have a different opinion then theirs! What they have done, in the end is SERIOUSLY hurt their favorite form(s) of racing, because they made enemies out of so many NASCAR fans! I will have absolutely NOTHING to do with them or with their favorite form(s) of racing and the same is true for MANY NASCAR fans! Negativity is not a good thing and in most cases, I have found, the ones that promote the negativity are the ones that wind up suffering from it the most! That is why I would highly advise anyone not to be negative toward something that someone else happens to like, because the end result is seeing good people like canamman leave/not participate. Please understand this, I am not reading you the riot act or blaming you or anyone for running him or anyone off, just explaining that I understand why he left and giving my (very similar) experience with the same matter. Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not chastising you.

Quote:
I tried to get into other series but found time / access difficult.
Well, I can't get into any other series/forms of racing. Simply put, I am a stock car racing fan (NASCAR and other stock car racing series) and that is basically it. I do like drag racing, will watch an NHRA race, at times and as I mentioned above, LOVE Flat Track motorcycle racing, but that is it! Nothing else, racing wise, even remotely interests or attracts me. Plus, as I said above, the fans of those other series/forms of racing made me a life long enemy! Please bear in mind, I am not saying ALL fans of those forms of racing/series are like that, I have run into a few that have been decent toward me and have no axe to grind, but the MAJORITY of the ones that I have had dealing with, on the internet and in real life have been. It is what it is and I guess that is all that can be said. Also, I am not saying that there are not some NASCAR fans that can be just as rude, hateful, etc.. Those types are everywhere, in every series of racing, but the fact for me is that I have run into FAR, FAR, FAR fewer NASCAR fans like that, than in other racing series/forms of racing. Like I said, it is what it is. Sorry that was so long. Take care.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 20:52 (Ref:3817243)   #66
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Well, I've seem better races at Richmond and I have seen allot worse. Pretty average. Kyle Busch takes 2 win in a row. Will it continue at Talladega this weekend. I'd say unknown, too many chances at getting caught up in one of the numerous accidents or "the big one".
Old 25 Apr 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3817419)   #67
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Actually 3 in a row for Kyle. He definitely seems to be maturing nicely; the brat in the Hendrick No. 5 looks to be gone and the over-driving charge at every instant is more of a push when necessary and take care of the car the rest of the time.

Always quiet in here, about as quiet as the stands - my viewpoint is an internet stream over here in Blighty - dip in and out now and then, sometimes watch the hour (ish) long highlight show. Although I'll bet idiot France will deny it my money says Monsters early sponsor exit is they've realised there aren't many people to market their fizzy poison too. Not many people full stop... Jr retiring can only account for some of the attendance drop off, not all of it surely?

Definitely need to ditch the gimmicks - playoffs and stages - and get the aero sorted to increase overtaking opportunities at some tracks. I say aero, could be well wrong in that, but whatever it is these current cars and running real close/ overtaking seems to be less. Or am I imagining it? Sadly the show - which I loved 'til the end of last decade - is becoming a little dull. Not as dull as the now unwatchable F1: heck I used to love that.

Need some good close racin' dudes!

Good news that Matt Kenseth is back. One of my favourites... now if Carl Edwards comes out of retirement too (unlikely!) then I will be gettin' on a plane to come and watch some races in the fall.

Last edited by Alfisti; 25 Apr 2018 at 21:25.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 02:03 (Ref:3817603)   #68
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Actually 3 in a row for Kyle. He definitely seems to be maturing nicely; the brat in the Hendrick No. 5 looks to be gone and the over-driving charge at every instant is more of a push when necessary and take care of the car the rest of the time.

Always quiet in here, about as quiet as the stands - my viewpoint is an internet stream over here in Blighty - dip in and out now and then, sometimes watch the hour (ish) long highlight show. Although I'll bet idiot France will deny it my money says Monsters early sponsor exit is they've realised there aren't many people to market their fizzy poison too. Not many people full stop... Jr retiring can only account for some of the attendance drop off, not all of it surely?

Definitely need to ditch the gimmicks - playoffs and stages - and get the aero sorted to increase overtaking opportunities at some tracks. I say aero, could be well wrong in that,
but whatever it is these current cars and running real close/ overtaking seems to be less. Or am I imagining it? Sadly the show - which I loved 'til the end of last decade - is becoming a little dull. Not as dull as the now unwatchable F1: heck I used to love that.

Need some good close racin' dudes!

Good news that Matt Kenseth is back. One of my favourites... now if Carl Edwards comes out of retirement too (unlikely!) then I will be gettin' on a plane to come and watch some races in the fall.
I'm not so sure that Kenseth coming out of retirement and trying to make a comeback is such a great thing. He has not driven in competition for awhile now. Kind of like Jeff Gordon. Out of the car less than a year, when he filled in for Earnhardt Jr., where he was out with the dizziness/sight problems from the concussions, Gordon had lost a whole lot, which he admitted. What worries me is me is that there is a trend for drivers trying to make a comeback, that turns out bad. The late Neil Bonnett comes to mind. That happened to a couple of others over the years that tried to make a comeback, after a sizable layoff. Pray that, that I is not going to happen to Kenseth. Carl has been out of it for way too long now. From what I have heard, he is more interested in moving into politics, in his home state and possibly trying to move up into the level of federal politics. I liked both he and Kenseth, the way I feel, I think that once you have either made the decision to "retire", or you lose a ride and cannot find another one, after a period of searching, it is better to stay retired. You don't take the chance of injury or death and you also do not take the chance of damaging your standing/reputation in the sport, because you didn't get back to the level that you were at when you left the sport. People today don't remember your past, how great you might have been, they only remember what you did VERY RECENTLY and nothing past that!
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3817741)   #69
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
That Sir is very true. Mansell tried a come back in F1 after his CART stint and gave it up pretty quick. Schumachers comeback was three years of dreadful mediocrity: it took the shine off an otherwise brilliant career.

I hope Kenseth still has what it takes, I'm going to keep the faith for now; maybe he feels the hunger for more, maybe he just wants a few more runs out and leave on his own terms like Jr? I guess we'll see.

I don't see Carl ever coming back, I can dream though. He looked a man totally at ease and ready for the sunset when he shook hands with the #22 crew after that last race wreck with Joey.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3817772)   #70
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thing is with current competition, it is sooo intense, but the method behind the wheel is calmness rules, NASCAR drivers can have very long careers, and go in to the sunset driving. pushing them out at an arbitrary 40-ish is nonsense.
these guys can hustle it for a long time-
i hope Kenseth will shake it up and show the man still has his gift.

and NASCAR can stop pushing their insistence on pushing new guys who have yet to prove themselves, over good drivers who still have it.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3818204)   #71
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Single file after just 8 laps at Talladega, oh joy...

They need to reintroduce the roof strip from 2001.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3818235)   #72
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Holy ******* **** what a worthless race. Just riding along the last 10-15 laps, not making a single move and handing the win to Logano on a damn platter. Pathetic.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3818315)   #73
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has been a pattern in the last several plate races, both at Dega' and Daytona. Drivers are either too scared to make a move in case no-one goes with them, or when people do make a move it's far too late. Last night was a classic example. Both Hamlin and Wallace Jr tried several times to get the upper lane going and got hung out to dry every time. Barring wrecks, if you're in the lead with 10 to go the race is yours to lose.

And the real elephant in the room is that whatever Chevy and Toyota have done with their body upgrades have made the cars ridiculously skittish at all tracks, especially in the side-draft. Whatever has been done needs to be undone asap.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3818522)   #74
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I actually watched the last 60 laps. Well, I slept through 25 of those but I got to see a big one and not so close finish for a plate race. At least they didn't total a bunch of cars at the finish...
Old 1 May 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3818718)   #75
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
And the real elephant in the room is that whatever Chevy and Toyota have done with their body upgrades have made the cars ridiculously skittish at all tracks, especially in the side-draft. Whatever has been done needs to be undone asap.
Have to agree. I've watched the 48 turning a number of times and there is no good reason I can see. The 24 seemed to disturb the air - but there was a lot of daylight between the cars - and round it went by itself. Unless something was plain broken on that car then the aero package is dangerous at those speeds. Accidents will happen in auto racing but we need cars that are not uncontrollable/unpredictable/dangerous by design.