Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2790535)   #176
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
"PRETOV, ALONSO... IS... FASTER... THAN... YOU..."

"PETROV,ALONSO... IS... FAAASTER... THAN... YOU !"
Ferrari to Alonso: OK, so, Petrov is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2790616)   #177
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Also I take back what I said about Abu Dhabi being a good place to end the season, simply because it does seem impossible to overtake there

It's strange because you'd think it should be good for racing but evidently not with the current regs, especially the rev limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What's the track like for racing other than F1?
That's what I was trying to say at the beginning of the thread about the race. I remembered there had been overtaking problems last year.

As for other classes, the Radical World Masters meeting was held there last month. One driver, who is fast and sensible said: "Nice circuit if you like 2nd gear corners..."
Old 14 Nov 2010, 23:30 (Ref:2790702)   #178
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That's what I was trying to say at the beginning of the thread about the race. I remembered there had been overtaking problems last year.

As for other classes, the Radical World Masters meeting was held there last month. One driver, who is fast and sensible said: "Nice circuit if you like 2nd gear corners..."
So it's not exactly ideal for F1?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2790713)   #179
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
"PRETOV, ALONSO... IS... FASTER... THAN... YOU..."
Portuguese thinking in disguise??? In this case "Chernyov" would be more appropiate.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2790765)   #180
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So it's not exactly ideal for F1?
Not im my opinion as a circuit, but everyone is overwhelmed by the glitz and the glamour and people like Ferrari have made a massive investment there, so it's here to stay.

Even Martin Brundle said on TV that it and Singapore had become the two special meetings for F1, but you saw how difficult it was to overtake today.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2791033)   #181
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Portuguese thinking in disguise??? In this case "Chernyov" would be more appropiate.
Uhn... no... just my typing is sometimes faster than the keystrokes...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2791052)   #182
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Not im my opinion as a circuit, but everyone is overwhelmed by the glitz and the glamour and people like Ferrari have made a massive investment there, so it's here to stay.

Even Martin Brundle said on TV that it and Singapore had become the two special meetings for F1, but you saw how difficult it was to overtake today.
I know what you mean about the glitz, I've been to loads of GPs over the years and though there is that aspect, it's never been on the scale of Abu-Dhabi or Singapore but I suppose there are those who will buy into that irregardless of the event itself and that can be true of most high end sporting events.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2791062)   #183
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yep, it's all about selling the brand and/or image these days. Bernie asks "show me the money" and by and large they do!!

Personally I couldn't care less if the cars just ran around an old airfield as long as there's a racing spectacle.

But that aspect is just not as important anymore.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2791084)   #184
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yep, it's all about selling the brand and/or image these days. Bernie asks "show me the money" and by and large they do!!

Personally I couldn't care less if the cars just ran around an old airfield as long as there's a racing spectacle.

But that aspect is just not as important anymore.
Some of that aspect still survives to a ceratin extent in IndyCar, though Edmonton is now off the calendar; I always thought it was a poor mans Cleveland but still there are some GP tracks that embody that spirit, like Silverstone, Spa and Monza, just could do with a few more.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2791100)   #185
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cant argue much with the claim that this track is all flash and no substance. yesterdays race took a wonderful season and boiled it down to a perfect case study of everything that is wrong with modern F1.

if there is a silver lining here it is that if changes to the track can make a difference then the owners would be willing to spend to make them. for them prestige matters and having everyone say that the track is bland will motivate them. this is a partnership that does not exist anywhere else.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2791106)   #186
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
cant argue much with the claim that this track is all flash and no substance. yesterdays race took a wonderful season and boiled it down to a perfect case study of everything that is wrong with modern F1.

if there is a silver lining here it is that if changes to the track can make a difference then the owners would be willing to spend to make them. for them prestige matters and having everyone say that the track is bland will motivate them. this is a partnership that does not exist anywhere else.
There are some diferent configurations to the track, so maybe while they are tyre testing they might explore some of them.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2791197)   #187
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i hope so. and if they don't at least our final round next year will be back in Brazil.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2791219)   #188
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think we need to give credit where credit's due:

The location is truly spectacular; whether you're an avid or casual fan, there's no doubt that it's impressive.

The track itself may not be. However, I applaud them being open to suggestions in regards to changing the layout.

I think it has potential to be a good end of season circuit if the right changes are made.

Selby
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2791231)   #189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I think we need to give credit where credit's due:

The location is truly spectacular; whether you're an avid or casual fan, there's no doubt that it's impressive.

The track itself may not be. However, I applaud them being open to suggestions in regards to changing the layout.

I think it has potential to be a good end of season circuit if the right changes are made.

Selby
I didn't know they open to changing the layout. That's good.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2791235)   #190
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
You know, I really wanna know why the back straight does that little juke to the left about halfway into it...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2791297)   #191
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You know, I really wanna know why the back straight does that little juke to the left about halfway into it...
I thought it was a late amendment due to a design cock up! I could've sworn that if it had run completely straight as we would have expected there would've been little room for run off and crash barriers because of buildings or something?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2792651)   #192
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not telling Seb where Alonso was

What amazes me is this thing about Vettel not knowing where Alonso was during the race. Everything I've seen him say points out that he didn't know where Alonso was on the last lap, but you'd imagine that means they didn't even tell him he was in a world championship-winning position for most of the race.

I wonder at what point they decided they'd not tell him. After the strategy blunder, perhaps Red Bull had doubts and thought someone of Alonso's calibre would be capable of making the positions up, so they didn't tell him then. And then they kept going with that. Vettel would have quite naturally assumed during the race that he didn't have much of a hope of the championship, so only needed to know gaps to the people around him.

Maybe they thought he'd have more issues keeping it on the island if he knew just what he stood to gain from winning the race.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2792660)   #193
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
What ever the reason was it certainly paid off.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2793460)   #194
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
What amazes me is this thing about Vettel not knowing where Alonso was during the race. Everything I've seen him say points out that he didn't know where Alonso was on the last lap, but you'd imagine that means they didn't even tell him he was in a world championship-winning position for most of the race.
They didn't. If you can watch the post race interview with the BBC, you'll hear/see him say just that.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2793492)   #195
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It seems like he didn't ask then. I'd be so curious though.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2793506)   #196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He asked, they just didn't tell him.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2793523)   #197
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He asked, they just didn't tell him.
We heard his engineer on the radio refusing to tell him even after he crossed the line, he didn't tell Seb till Kubica or was it Rosbgerg crossed the line to officially take the place Alonso needed.

Tags
formula 1