Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 Dec 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3178610)   #1
SouthAussie94
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
SouthAussie94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting a Partner Interested in Motorsport

I love motorsport.. My Girlfriend on the other hand has very little interest and knowledge of the sport. She has expressed a desire to learn things and to attend events however I fear that she could be put off completely if the event isn't the right sort.

Does anyone have any tips for how I could introduce her to the sport from their own past experience? Or do people believe it could be a lost cause?

Cheers

Old 14 Dec 2012, 09:58 (Ref:3178611)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
My intuition tells me it's a lost cause, and i know that i don't have the patience to teach someone from scratch what i have picked-up in the last 20 years.

I prefer to keep it as 'my thing' anyway.

Picking the event will be key. A friend of a friend brought his girlfriend along to Silverstone with us for the WEC 6hr. That was a bit much for someone who'd never seen a racing car before. They split up shortly afterwards. True story....
Old 14 Dec 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3178616)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What is there to learn, she'll either like watching cars race or she wont. If she's interested she'll get to know what's going on, if not buy her a horse it's easier.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3178624)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
peat's right, the event choice is key. also, make sure you pick someone to support together in each race during the day, easy way to engage with the race. an event with lots of sprint races is probably better than half an hour or longer. the big events are good for the lots of people, lots of shiny wealthy things around. that can be pretty addictive. smaller events are good if she's a social creature and will talk to people about their cars in the paddock.

if she's keen to go and give it a go then you've already won half the battle to be honest
Old 14 Dec 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3178626)   #5
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
What is there to learn, she'll either like watching cars race or she wont. If she's interested she'll get to know what's going on.
You never know what happens when you let the 'genie out of the bottle'. I took 'somebody' (known to some on here) to Snetterton about 7 years ago.
She's ended up holding a clerk of the course licence and being chairman (chairperson if you want to be politically correct) of a motor racing club.
Be careful what you wish for ..... it may come true!
Old 14 Dec 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3178636)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
You never know what happens when you let the 'genie out of the bottle'. I took 'somebody' (known to some on here) to Snetterton about 7 years ago.
She's ended up holding a clerk of the course licence and being chairman (chairperson if you want to be politically correct) of a motor racing club.
Be careful what you wish for ..... it may come true!
So It's all your bloody fault.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3178642)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure John has frequently wondered exactly what he unleashed that fateful day....
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3178760)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You will find that if she has a girlfriend that goes along as well things will be a bit smoother !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3178764)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The ladies like the social side more and meeting with other drivers wifes and girl friends so it important to make sure she gets to meet the regulars even better it you are racing with a club so the same people turn up and make sure you take her to the end of season awards ball! My other half knew absolutely nothing about the sport and if truth be known probably doesnt know that much now but she enjoys going and meeting up with the other racers and their partners.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3178791)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Al, I could be wrong but I get the impression that SouthAussie is not a racer and more likely a keen spectator.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3178800)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ah right may be a bit more of a problem although I have always found the ladies to be reasonably keen on the sport. Gotta be better than a soccer match for them surely!
Old 15 Dec 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3178833)   #12
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A spot of karting or circuit drive day might help get the adrenaline pumping

A friend with little or no interest got a corporate ticket for the British GP, came away loving it.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3178929)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As long as there is an escape like shops or a market nearby my other half loves giving her credit card an airing along with her mate
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Dec 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3178930)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England

Why would anyone want their partners coming racing with them anyway. My wife came to my first race and we both agreed after that she'd never go again.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3178950)   #15
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good close exciting races that thrill and are easy to follow i.e. a well supported club meeting. Definitely not 4 cars spread equally round a circuit churning round lap after lap for an eternity.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3178951)   #16
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why would anyone want their partners coming racing with them anyway.
So they can do the driving home while we have a snooze...... isn't that what partners are for?
Old 15 Dec 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3178972)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
My other half moans like hell if I drive fast on the road but screams and shouts her head off to egg me on at the circuit, no pleasing them !
Old 15 Dec 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3178979)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
My other half moans like hell if I drive fast on the road but screams and shouts her head off to egg me on at the circuit, no pleasing them !
My wife moaned at me that I drove too fast and too close to the bloke in front, that was at Brands.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3179099)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
So It's all your bloody fault.

Genie???????
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3179106)   #20
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAussie94 View Post
I love motorsport.. My Girlfriend on the other hand has very little interest and knowledge of the sport. She has expressed a desire to learn things and to attend events however I fear that she could be put off completely if the event isn't the right sort.

Does anyone have any tips for how I could introduce her to the sport from their own past experience? Or do people believe it could be a lost cause?

Cheers
Your best chance are the bigger historics meets, I think. They're easily the best events to attend as a spectator. They are only events a person not interested in motorsport has the faintest chance of having a decent time.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3179241)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could try and combine it with a larger holiday. She might be more interested in coming along if she knows for sure that she'll have some fun of her own, and if she likes the race it's a bonus. Monza is a fairly short train ride away from Milan, for instance.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3179277)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Your best chance are the bigger historics meets, I think. They're easily the best events to attend as a spectator. They are only events a person not interested in motorsport has the faintest chance of having a decent time.
Errr, that's a rather sweeping statement - personally I don't particularly enjoy the historic meetings and they would bore my other half senseless (loads of cars she doesn't recognise driven by people she's never heard of). The most important thing is to give them something to relate to - be that cars they recognise (BTCC or maybe historics if they're historic ) or drivers they know or at least have heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
You could try and combine it with a larger holiday. She might be more interested in coming along if she knows for sure that she'll have some fun of her own, and if she likes the race it's a bonus. Monza is a fairly short train ride away from Milan, for instance.
I've done that one (not as exotic though - combined Norfolk with Snetterton BTCC ).
Old 17 Dec 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3179444)   #23
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Errr, that's a rather sweeping statement - personally I don't particularly enjoy the historic meetings and they would bore my other half senseless (loads of cars she doesn't recognise driven by people she's never heard of). The most important thing is to give them something to relate to - be that cars they recognise (BTCC or maybe historics if they're historic ) or drivers they know or at least have heard of.

So over there, you've got Goodwood and the Silverstone classic, but you're going to take your partner to see the BTCC because Jason Plato is there?...Alrighty then...
Old 17 Dec 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3179445)   #24
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I thought the OP was about getting a business colleague to sponsor motorracing or something. That's hard.

Getting the other half to like it..well, that's nigh on impossible!
Old 17 Dec 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3179489)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
So over there, you've got Goodwood and the Silverstone classic, but you're going to take your partner to see the BTCC because Jason Plato is there?...Alrighty then...
Yes. Goodwood and the silverstone classic generally feature cars that are older than we are (although the Super Tourer race at the Silverstone classic would be worth a look - particularly if it was at a better circuit). Historics really are of little to no interest.