Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Aug 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3563756)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Road America 2015

Road America is a great place.

I'm not sure if this thread needs any more introduction than that! All 4 classes will be back on track for the first time since Watkins in June, but there is plenty of room along the 4 miles of track so I expect few cautions. The race is a standard 2:45 affair and will be live on FS1 stateside.

There has been testing this week, with the new Ford GT, Mazda (petrol), some GTD, and other cars as well. Could we see the Petrol Mazda debut this week? There is a 20% chance of rain for the weekend just to make things interesting.

Schedule

Entries

Weather

Spotters Guide

Track Map

Fantasy Racing
Old 4 Aug 2015, 20:41 (Ref:3563787)   #2
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick 'Em if anyone is interested: http://nasportscar.com/2014-tusc-pick-em/
Old 5 Aug 2015, 23:02 (Ref:3564021)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring it on. Road America straight after Mosport! What a treat!
Old 6 Aug 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3564162)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like single diesel for Mazda again this week. After all the talk of how great the petrol engine has been testing this is a bit disappointing....
Old 6 Aug 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3564214)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This whole petrol thing might just be an excuse for Speedsource to run downsized operation everywhere without actually admitting it.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3564221)   #6
MoraineSweep
Rookie

MoraineSweep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way I understand it is that Mazda is putting the brakes on the switch to the petrol engine. I don't think it would look good from a PR perspective to switch the program from diesel to petrol and instantly have a 5 second per lap increase.

Even though everyone knows the petrol engine would be more competitive, I don't think Mazda wants to make their diesel look bad with that direct comparison.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3564224)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I suspect they will continue the enter both Lolas for all remaining races this year, yet still only actually running the singleton diesel and giving excuses over the petrol no-shows (= makes diesel also look better in addition to smaller budget requirements), and wait till Daytona to have petrol on both. That way when the performance suddenly jumps up by X amount they can excuse the garbage-diesel iteration and performance change by saying "well we improved the MAZDA PROTOTYPE chassis, components and all other areas substantially over the winter in the workshop and literally everything has transformed blaa blaa blaa". No-one will bother to question the legitimacy of that...
Old 6 Aug 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3564235)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I could see them debuting at Petit since they are the main sponsor. They haven't been shy in interviews talking about the struggles with the diesel. I think they could easily make the switch with legitimacy this season.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 23:15 (Ref:3564260)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I could see them debuting at Petit since they are the main sponsor. They haven't been shy in interviews talking about the struggles with the diesel. I think they could easily make the switch with legitimacy this season.
Not to mention that the Mazda diesel is still not in the U.S. market.

L.P.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3564272)   #10
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That would be like keeping Mike Trout in the minors because you don't want the regular outfielder to feel bad.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3564278)   #11
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Not to mention that the Mazda diesel is still not in the U.S. market.

L.P.
And it's never going to be which is why this is so stupid.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 05:20 (Ref:3564302)   #12
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoraineSweep View Post
The way I understand it is that Mazda is putting the brakes on the switch to the petrol engine. I don't think it would look good from a PR perspective to switch the program from diesel to petrol and instantly have a 5 second per lap increase.

Even though everyone knows the petrol engine would be more competitive, I don't think Mazda wants to make their diesel look bad with that direct comparison.
In some way I understand the PR aspect of this, but I think they should just admit defeat. Every sportscar fan knows that the diesel isn't good. The casual fans are probably just wondering why those great looking cars are so slow. That diesel is never going to be competitive. IMO the benefits of having a competitive petrol car would by far exceed the embarrassment of it being compared to the diesel. Mazda would be happy. The fans would be happy. What do they have to lose?
Old 7 Aug 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3564359)   #13
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoraineSweep View Post

What terrible logic. I guess that is why Mazda is way down the pecking order in worldwide car sales and why I will never buy one.

As far as the race goes: I'm really pulling for the Risi Ferrari this week. They are the only team who have not won in GTLM yet. Look for an early full course yellow to wipe out some AM LMPC guys and then clean green the rest of the way. Can't predict a winner in this one in either P or GTLM. Prototype will be tougher now because we need to see how much the Corvette BoP hit hurts them.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 13:11 (Ref:3564367)   #14
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
With possibly the P championship(s) wrapped up by then that might be the perfect timing to bring out an unknown quantity without too much BoP restrictions to surprise the DPs (and Shank) and grab the headlines for Mazda!

Certainly a great incentive from IMSA to keep a loyal manufacturer happy and collect some more sponsoring dollars in the next couple of years from the 'ugly duck that turns into a beautiful swan'.

All that's left to do is grant Honda an entry for that hybrid NSX...
Old 7 Aug 2015, 13:58 (Ref:3564379)   #15
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
With possibly the P championship(s) wrapped up by then that might be the perfect timing to bring out an unknown quantity without too much BoP restrictions to surprise the DPs (and Shank) and grab the headlines for Mazda!

Certainly a great incentive from IMSA to keep a loyal manufacturer happy and collect some more sponsoring dollars in the next couple of years from the 'ugly duck that turns into a beautiful swan'.

All that's left to do is grant Honda an entry for that hybrid NSX...
The hybrid thing won't happen. Honda will have to yank it out if they want to race it, and it sounds like that may be what they're doing for 2017.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3564384)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
As far as the race goes: I'm really pulling for the Risi Ferrari this week. They are the only team who have not won in GTLM yet.
The series has noticed this as well, and the Ferrari recently got some performance breaks so they look to be extra competitive this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

I would love to see this happen. It has been hard to get a handle on how good their current lineup of drivers actually are in a prototype since they have been so stymied by their machinery. A fast car could let us really see what the Mazda drivers can do behind the wheel of the Lola.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3564430)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
A rainy first practice is in the books and not a lot was accomplished. Which I find odd, since the race is predicted to be rainy on Sunday as well.....

Session results
http://imsatiming.com/Results/2015/T...oad%20America/
Old 7 Aug 2015, 20:21 (Ref:3564465)   #18
BullMan
Veteran

Conti Challenge qual cancelled. Hindy and Co talking to Barfield, and Beaux says, "Nobody is out in the pit lane. I guess that makes the decision to cancel qualifying a good one."

Well of course they're not going to go out there if they're not required to, Beaux.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3564480)   #19
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being local, you absolutely HAVE to run in the rain to understand Road America in wet conditions.

The surface is incredibly polished on the dry line. The wet line has boatloads of grip, but can affect your setup significantly. Also, the run from 10b-12 needs to be run during the wet, as the water runs off the hill, and streams, sometimes heavily, across the track there.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Aug 2015, 15:20 (Ref:3564588)   #20
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like that Tandy/Pilet in the #91 Porsche are really hooked up so far.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3564610)   #21
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone watching the Conti race that can explain to me why the Nissan didn't pit on that yellow?
Old 8 Aug 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3564624)   #22
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems so foggy today.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:08 (Ref:3564628)   #23
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
That's a scary place to have an engine let go. Surely a safety car will be called to recover the #9 Camaro?

Edit - I'm listening without sound so if it was something else ignore me. Also the #57 Mustang has stopped.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3564632)   #24
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
That's a scary place to have an engine let go. Surely a safety car will be called to recover the #9 Camaro?

Edit - I'm listening without sound so if it was something else ignore me. Also the #57 Mustang has stopped.
Quite a strange maneuver. Pulled onto the grass on the left side of the circuit, then drove nearly 90 degrees across and stopped on the circuit on the right side.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:13 (Ref:3564635)   #25
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol at the commentary being all mad at that Camero driver.