Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Sep 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3764264)   #1
Bill38
Rookie

Bill38 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring 2019

Great news. The traditional 12 hour race and a WEC 12 hour race on the same weekend. How exciting! No sleep that weekend. I'm wondering if some teams will enter cars in both races?
Old 4 Sep 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3764523)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I would prefer a GT race and a prototype race.

But we're talking about FIA and IMSA, so even when they cooperate, they don't.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3764529)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Old 4 Sep 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3764531)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I would prefer a GT race and a prototype race.

But we're talking about FIA and IMSA, so even when they cooperate, they don't.
Man, you really want split GT and Prototype races!
Old 4 Sep 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3764538)   #5
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
You know, that actually sounds like about the best idea I've heard on the matter. A 12-hour Prototype race with 30-35 cars and a 12-hour GT race with 40-50 cars sounds nice.

On a side note, now the that the GTs have their standalone race at Lime Rock, I would REALLY like to see the Prototypes back in the field at VIR.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3764577)   #6
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
You know, that actually sounds like about the best idea I've heard on the matter. A 12-hour Prototype race with 30-35 cars and a 12-hour GT race with 40-50 cars sounds nice.

On a side note, now the that the GTs have their standalone race at Lime Rock, I would REALLY like to see the Prototypes back in the field at VIR.
I would LOVE to see the prototypes at VIR.

As to splitting the classes at Sebring, I would vote an enormous NO
Old 5 Sep 2017, 01:35 (Ref:3764605)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
LT, I'm not saying it's ideal, but like I said, of the ideas posted so far, it's the most appealing. I mean, having both fields together in a single race is impractical, and having the WEC do a six-hour or something on Friday doesn't feel much less strange than doing an all-classes second twelve-hour WEC race starting at midnight following IMSA.

Thank you for the second with wanting to see the P cars back at VIR.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3764737)   #8
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
There should be a minimum grid size requirement of 40 cars for the WEC in order to have their own 12 hours race. Anywhere. But especially at Sebring.

I seriously doubt WEC will drop their "our maximum grid is 32* cars because of air transport and number of pit boxes limitations" nonsense.

*apart from Spa '13/'14 I don't recall seeing a grid of 32 (or more) cars for a non-LM WEC race anywhere in 5 years.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3764755)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
You know, the ALMS didn't have 40 starters for Sebring in 2001 and 2005-10.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3764781)   #10
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
WEC doesn't have a grid limit, they have a freight limit. They've had more cars at Spa before.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3764834)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Plus the wec is going to be doing sea freight, not air. I really think there may be a couple takers of the two races. A team like Ford has two teams running the same cars so maybe they can interact with one another?
Old 6 Sep 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3764981)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a joint weekend with the WEC is a good thing, as long as it is done right. Sebring is a good choice of venue for it, but the day and length of the WEC race are not! The WEC should put on an into the evening 6hr (normal WEC round) race on Friday, 1-7pm or 2-8. That would allow any surviving eligible teams an opportunity to refresh and join in on the IWSC Mobil 12hrs of Sebring race if they wished.

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3764984)   #13
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WEC can't run before IMSA, pride would be swallowed.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3764987)   #14
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
Not saying that it will happen. Only that IMO that is the best choice for all concerned, egos aside.

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3764988)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
Pride SHOULD be swallowed. The race should be on Friday night, although I'd make it 8-10, just because I'm not a fan of the set 6 hour distance they always used (I'd like Silverstone and Fuji longer too). Varied distances mixes it up a bit - works well in VLN.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3764991)   #16
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Pride SHOULD be swallowed. The race should be on Friday night, although I'd make it 8-10, just because I'm not a fan of the set 6 hour distance they always used (I'd like Silverstone and Fuji longer too). Varied distances mixes it up a bit - works well in VLN.
A 6hr race will still allow some track time for IWSC and the support series that will be racing that weekend as well as the WEC needed track time.

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3764993)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A Friday race would be very cool (330 or 4 past dusk). Still plenty of time to run q-ing for the 12 hours in the afternoon.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3765055)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I prefer to keep it at Midnight. Good viewing time for Europeans, many people already there who watched IMSA have an incentive to stay, it's a night to day race which is unheard of unless it's a full 24hr one. Those are just a few things. Plus it's 12 hours instead of the 'bland' repetitive 6hr ones everyone complained about.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3765056)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I prefer to keep it at Midnight. Good viewing time for Europeans, many people already there who watched IMSA have an incentive to stay, it's a night to day race which is unheard of unless it's a full 24hr one. Those are just a few things. Plus it's 12 hours instead of the 'bland' repetitive 6hr ones everyone complained about.

A 4 or 5 am start time would be better for Europe than midnight.

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 21:11 (Ref:3765058)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
But I think more people there will still be up and awake at midnight to see the start of the race. But I guess early birds could wake up. My logic says the start should be a couple or 3 hours after the first race's finish to keep that 'buzz'.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 22:56 (Ref:3765074)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Some that will be physically be there Saturday may not want to stay til 2pm on Sunday. but its a matter of opinion.

I don't mind 6 hours so I am assuming this is a typical complaint of WEC races?

12 hours of Bathurst starts in the dark, which is fantastic. That's about 30 mins of dark. Midnight start would be half dark and half daylight and 100% through the fog of Green Park fires.
Old 7 Sep 2017, 00:04 (Ref:3765079)   #22
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

L.P.
Not really. That would mean ending late Sunday night in European time zones.

For what it's worth this year Sebring was one week before the Australian Grand Prix which starts at close to midnight eastern time.
Old 7 Sep 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3765221)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
A 6hr race will still allow some track time for IWSC and the support series that will be racing that weekend as well as the WEC needed track time.

L.P.
Totally, but if they're going to extend the event into the next day and make it a day longer, I'd extend it a day earlier and move everything one day earlier, to fit a good 8 hour race in there or something. If you're committed to a day longer event, I'd try and leave the Sunday as a clean down and get home day personally.
Old 7 Sep 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3765223)   #24
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Totally, but if they're going to extend the event into the next day and make it a day longer, I'd extend it a day earlier and move everything one day earlier, to fit a good 8 hour race in there or something. If you're committed to a day longer event, I'd try and leave the Sunday as a clean down and get home day personally.
I agree with a WEC 6hr race on Friday and pushing the IMSA set-up/tech, venders and WEC series coming in early to get set up and track practice for the WEC grid. But the IMSA paddock should stay on the regular (current) load in schedule so it does not drive up costs to the teams. If possible, some juggling of support races may have to occur.

L.P.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3790438)   #25
Gators
Rookie

United States
Mulberry,Florida
Gators should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any updated about this???