Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Feb 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3803785)   #226
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mercedes are the only team so far to have gone with high suspension mountings and and high radiator inlets. As I understand it, the car uses a fin on top of the side guide vanes to get the air from under the suspension and move it upwards to the inlets.

Those Ferrari side pods have interesting inlets. What are they like that for?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3803800)   #227
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Yes, most of the teams don't reveal their full hand until the final test. Or even first race weekend. The McLaren I suspect is one car that is not in full race spec for sure.

The barge boards area in front of the side pods will be the biggest development race this year. Watch how complicated this area will get with all sorts of aero developments as the year progresses. It ain't going to look pretty.
Why the barge board area?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3803809)   #228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I have read an article by Paddy Lowe and also mention by others who should know, that bargeboards is a key area of development and potential gain this year.
Quote:
For Lowe, whose FW41 design was revealed in computer images last week, the potential for downforce gains in this area of the car is immense, especially as other areas where performance was coming from have become increasingly limited.

"As we know in the 2017 regulations, there was new volume and new freedom in the bargeboard area," he said.

"We saw through 2017 an explosion of new devices in that space, and that process has continued yet further.

"When you see our car close up, you will see that we have developed the car in that area even more.

"I will be expecting to see the same on our competition – because it is the biggest area of opportunity still not fully exploited with these regulations that came in last year."

The importance of downforce-generating devices in front of the sidepods is being further ramped up this year, because aero benefits of the T-wing, and potential for exhaust blowing of the monkey seat, have now gone.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-lowe-1006760/

For those (I was one) who were not aware what the monkey seat is on an F1 car, it is a "small wing underneath the main rear wing of the car that uses a loophole in the bodywork regulations to generate a small amount of additional downforce." That loophole has been closed for 2018.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3803822)   #229
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
For those (I was one) who were not aware what the monkey seat is on an F1 car, it is a "small wing underneath the main rear wing of the car that uses a loophole in the bodywork regulations to generate a small amount of additional downforce." That loophole has been closed for 2018.
Not strictly speaking true. Monkey seats can still be fitted but the area they are allowed in is away from the exhaust plume so the benefits aren't the same.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3803867)   #230
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It was last year, so no reason why this shouldn’t continue. It’s an area where there is some freedom so it’s an opportunity. It helps cooling, airflow round the side, the “seal” round the edge of the floor and the underfloor aero and the airflow over the side pods.

This year will be the 25th anniversary of the barge board (from my memory).
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3803875)   #231
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
weird stat of the week. good job.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3803889)   #232
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is what I was thinking off https://goo.gl/images/hLvNPK
Attached Thumbnails
DE42B462-A7B3-4A04-B8A5-07AEB84F0F85.jpeg  
Old 25 Feb 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3803893)   #233
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It was last year, so no reason why this shouldn’t continue. It’s an area where there is some freedom so it’s an opportunity. It helps cooling, airflow round the side, the “seal” round the edge of the floor and the underfloor aero and the airflow over the side pods.

That's interesting because in this article, https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...18-car-979229/, it mentions Mercedes experimenting with higher rake angles and running the front of the car low and the rear high, in order to create a form of ground effect using a combination of the front wing sealing the airflow and the diffuser performing better as more air can flow underneath it. If the barge boards can also be used to seal the edge of the floor and a longer wheel base is used, I would have thought that would help in producing this form of ground effect.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3803901)   #234
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this isn't something that's scientific but i wonder whether bargeboards and stuff will start being complained about by rival teams as moveable aerodynamic devices?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3803907)   #235
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this isn't something that's scientific but i wonder whether bargeboards and stuff will start being complained about by rival teams as moveable aerodynamic devices?
If the barge boards are to be used to seal the edge of the floor, then they would have to be rigid. If they were moveable then the airflow would be variable, which is no good in creating ground effect.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 05:26 (Ref:3803943)   #236
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Toro Rosso Honda

Old 26 Feb 2018, 07:38 (Ref:3803957)   #237
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Haas unveiling from Barcelona...

Old 26 Feb 2018, 07:38 (Ref:3803958)   #238
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The pink one...

Old 26 Feb 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3803960)   #239
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Covers finally come off the Toro Rosso...

Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3803964)   #240
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Torro Rosso is beautiful.

I like the white braking up all the pink on the ‘Force India’. However, there is no team name on the Car, Race Suits or the Hording so new team name imminent. Also looo at all ththe sponsorship on it.

The HAAS is just meh
Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3803966)   #241
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing RB14..

Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3803967)   #242
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Toro Rosso already doing better than McLaren ever did with the Honda. Going out on the green flag!!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3803970)   #243
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think it's great that the teams have given us more distinctive and individual schemes this season. Obviously we will all have favourites, but my only disappointment is Red Bull...... However, as things are looks like my tired old eyes will be able to differentiate between the cars- on the occasions when am actually watching a GP on TV!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3803977)   #244
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
That Torro Rosso is beautiful.

I like the white braking up all the pink on the ‘Force India’. However, there is no team name on the Car, Race Suits or the Hording so new team name imminent. Also looo at all ththe sponsorship on it.

The HAAS is just meh
i’d have liked to see the darker purple used a bit more for shading purposes instead of the white, but that’d only work in some sort of sponsorless nirvana

agree about the toro rosso. the red and blue on that car is as satisfying a combination as the blue and orange at mclaren. *exactly* the right shades.

someone’s going to be flying home early for not bolting on that mclaren wheel properly....
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3803981)   #245
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
someone’s going to be flying home early for not bolting on that mclaren wheel properly....
Need to find someone new to blame. Probably Renault?
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3803983)   #246
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Need to find someone new to blame. Probably Renault?
pirelli are due a kicking, maybe they supplied a square tyre...
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3803986)   #247
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If it was finger trouble then yes - but is there a chance it was something else that failed? If it was just a wheelnut would it not have parted company with the car earlier - he was on a quick lap so had already done at least an out lap and not felt a problem.

The Red Bull looked better in the launch scheme.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3803987)   #248
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
A wheel that was meant for the Toro Rosso ended up on the McLaren somehow...

Some cars have wings/aero devices under the halo as well!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3803988)   #249
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Wheel Nut retainer and Stub Axle assembly it looks like - seems the problem is the axle part, so no blame to be placed elsewhere?
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3803989)   #250
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously

Never could understand why they test in such low temperatures when the cars never ever race at those sort of low temperatures!?