Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series > IRL Indycar Series

Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:53 (Ref:2067899)   #91
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I agree there, climb. At some point the person has to either retire or find a new challenge if not within the series than in a different one.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2067988)   #92
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Yes, I agree there, climb. At some point the person has to either retire or find a new challenge if not within the series than in a different one.
which is pretty much what I said earlier

I do not see this to be the huge blow that people are saying it is. I think people are just using it as an excuse to have yet another pop at the IRL

it's old, it's boring and it isn't constructive

Good luck to Sam in NASCAR and IRL will move on.....

Simple as that, get on with it...
Old 16 Nov 2007, 00:41 (Ref:2068489)   #93
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Nothing surprising in this feature really; I still keep my opinion that a demotivated champ collecting disappointing placements is no good for a series.

Who knows what he could have pulled out in the 08 season though? For example Franchitti coming from nowhere from 06.

A demotivated Hornish Jr, a multiple champion and 2006 Indy champion probably still does more in attractive casual race fans and media stories than Briscoe, Dixon, Mutoh or Lloyd.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 07:15 (Ref:2068591)   #94
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franchitti is a different story; as i told before, He had any intention to retire, but the unexpected 2007 convinced him to keep on driving.

Hornish, on the contgrary is still young and has, via Penske organisation, a chance to go Nascar, then I don't believe that, had he stayed one more year in IRL, he would have found unpredictable motivations.

His aim is Nascar, we've known it for years.

About appeal to casual fans, you're easily right, but had Panther followed the same reasoning about Sam 5 yrs ago....

More in general, drivers are expected to pass by, IRL's strenght is in their major teams, which are staying

Last edited by climb; 16 Nov 2007 at 07:23.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 09:49 (Ref:2068714)   #95
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Franchitti is a different story; as i told before, He had any intention to retire, but the unexpected 2007 convinced him to keep on driving.
The franchitti example was more used to say, who says Hornish was not going to be competitive and fighting for the championship in 08.

Quote:
Really ?

Quote:
About appeal to casual fans, you're easily right, but had Panther followed the same reasoning about Sam 5 yrs ago....
There is a difference between a home grown american and a sportscar driving Australian though

Quote:
IRL's strenght is in their major teams, which are staying
Surely the drivers are the stars. While obviously the resources of Penske, Ganassi and AGR are a strength, I dont think that this is comparative to star drivers.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 10:56 (Ref:2068764)   #96
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There is a "credibility factor" that goes with having strong, recognizable teams though. Getting a drive with Penske, Ganassi or AGR is part of what defines a driver as a "star."

The implication is that being with an established, winning team means that you have the goods. Fans take notice of things like that...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2068825)   #97
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Hornish, on the contgrary is still young and has, via Penske organisation, a chance to go Nascar, then I don't believe that, had he stayed one more year in IRL, he would have found unpredictable motivations.

More in general, drivers are expected to pass by, IRL's strenght is in their major teams, which are staying
yep, of the 4 big teams in the states (Penske, AGR, Ganassi and NHL) the IRL has three of them and that is where the strength is, thats going to amount 9 very strong cars next season and plus we await to see what Panther and Rahal bring to to the table, the Patron car had strong spells last season and I think the #8 team will step it up more in 2008, be great to see Sharpie in victory lane again.

It was first mentioned around 2003 that Hornish was interested in NASCAR but opted to stay in the IRL moving from Panther to Penske, it's worked out well for him that Penske has been able to move him into his NASCAR cup team

Like i've said before, way to much has been made of this and although it doesn't surprise me given the motives of various people I believe we have now more than exhausted this topic
Old 17 Nov 2007, 08:57 (Ref:2069411)   #98
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
There is a "credibility factor" that goes with having strong, recognizable teams though. Getting a drive with Penske, Ganassi or AGR is part of what defines a driver as a "star."
Definitely. But people like Dixon, Kanaan, Herta and arent stars because of those teams. They are talented drivers, no doubt but not household stars that AOW is crying out for.

Briscoe and Mutoh because they are driving for Penske and AGR respectively are not going to be stars or attract serious attention, even if they start winning.

Quote:
The implication is that being with an established, winning team means that you have the goods. Fans take notice of things like that...
Do they in 2007? Enthusiasts do for sure, but general fans a) dont understand b) dont recognise and c) dont care.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 17 Nov 2007 at 09:01.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 11:52 (Ref:2069492)   #99
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I did not say they automatically become stars because of who they drive for. The quality of the team is just on piece of the perception puzzle that fans put together to determine who the "stars" are.