Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 May 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2696765)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Coal Motorsports Complex

I'm just going to drop a teaser regarding one aspect of the Design, more wil follow...and yes I've blatantly stolen the idea from xlr8r's pinnacle thread.

The Name I'll explain now, is because the the Motorpsorts Complex is built on "returned" land from a now closed and cleaned up opencast coal mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Drag Glimpse.jpg  
Old 24 May 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2696963)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooh, dragstrip, shiny.
Old 25 May 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2697565)   #3
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have started a trend!

Nice looking dragstrip.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2705144)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm getting bored with details on this so I'll probably post the full thing over at some point in the next few days. Probably Thurs or Friday next week ... Work permitting.

In addition to the drag strip and the racing circuit there is also a Karting Circuit.
It's typical there hasn't even been mention of a karting circuit for months, and while I'm working on my own design, a real one appears in My Tracks).

Some detail of the Karting centre and also of the Drag strip.

The karting circuit's GP layout is 970m long and 6 metres wide.
There are 4 other main configurations:
A full perimeter,
The option to miss out the first infield section
The option to miss out second Infield section
An option to link the 2 infield sections in order to miss out the "Hairpin Loop".

There is also an option that can be used with any configuration, that has an Esses onto and elongated S/F rather than a tight chicane.
Larger fields might wish to use the Long straight to start the race and then use the chicane once running.

The Drag Strip, I've cheated slightly in that it is modelled on the Santa Pod drag strip in the UK.
It's a Quarter Mile (400m), strip on a straight that runs for a full 1 km With a gravel trap at the end of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Drag Kart Centre 1.jpg   Drag Kart Centre 2.jpg   Drag Glimpse 2.jpg  

Old 5 Jun 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2705151)   #5
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've made a dragstrip based on Santa Pod's layout. Big deal.

The kart track looks good. 6 metres could be a bit narrow though. 8 is more apropriate but that's for your next one.

And yes detail is a pain in the but. I've even gone as far as creating 3d curbs.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2705159)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only issue with a 970km karting track is that a Grade 1 kart track has to be 1200m, apart from that I like what I've seen of the layout. The minimum width is 8m, maximum is 12 (done a kart track on one of my designs).
Old 5 Jun 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2705168)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I wasn't sure of the exact sizes needed when doing the design, I wasn't particularly aiming for International Licences with it either. But from the little research I did do...
Bayford Meadow is MSA licenced at 1100m long 7m wide.
Buckmore Park is MSA Licenced at 1200m and is also 7m wide.
So 6m wide makes sense for less than 1000m.

Real Circuit Widths by Google Earth measuring tool. Lengths from websites given.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2705175)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I looked at FIA-CIK's website (it's not easy to navigate), the international top level rules are effectively 1200m minimum length (1000m for temporary circuits), 8-12m wide, 150m pit straight.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2706014)   #9
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
You've made a dragstrip based on Santa Pod's layout. Big deal.

The kart track looks good. 6 metres could be a bit narrow though. 8 is more apropriate but that's for your next one.

And yes detail is a pain in the but. I've even gone as far as creating 3d curbs.
Hehe, I tried to do that with my "real-world track" for FFH1, wasn't really worth the effort!
Old 9 Jun 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2707026)   #10
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF, not sure if you've heard of it, but reminds me a hell of a lot of a kart track right here in Scotland, called Raceland:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...04823&t=h&z=18

Ages ago I tried to do an edit of it to try and make it have slightly less angular corners and introduce a bit more variety - yours doesn't look too dissimilar to what I came up with!
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 9 Jun 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2707157)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've driven past Raceland a few times whilst heading to the Museum Of Flight at East Fortune, but have never stopped at it. I do remember hearing that it's not the cheapest of venues for an arrive and drive.

Having said that there is a likeness that is quite unintentional, in fact it's scarily close, even down to the options.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2712490)   #12
tausif
Rookie

Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
tausif should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF,
Dragstrips nowadays must be at least 1200m long and a gravel trap thereafter. With staging and burnout, 1270m would be a good length.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2712531)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Given the number of comments, and my not having as much time as I'd wish for. Here is a top view of the full circuit. The surrounds are incomplete, hence the tunnel with no roads to or from it.

The circuit lengths are:

Full GP: 7.012km (4.3825 miles)
Short Circuit: 5.04km (3.15 miles)
Short Turn 1 with infield section: 5.95km (3.719 miles)
Hairpin section without the infield section : 6.10km (3.813 miles)
Attached Thumbnails
Full Circuit Top View.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp Drag.skp (1.40 MB, 6 views)
Old 16 Jun 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2713082)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the track pretty much. It's got that flowing first and 2nd time sector and then a technical 3rd sector. What is that two-lane road in the infield leading towards the paddock? A drag strip?

I'd only make one edit to it and that concerns the forth and back swinging "straight" on top of the circuit design. That one reminds me too much of Valencia Marina's nasty backstretch that comes right after the bridge. You cannot overtake there at all, opposed to, say, the front straight of Mugello, which also is not totally straight.

I'd like to suggest looking to Nordschleife's straights that are not really straights or to the Craner Curves of Donington for inspiration to edit that section, but I haven't got an idea on how to modify it just yet. Maybe just remove the swing to the right?
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2717178)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yannick, I think SBF's design will work just fine. With the urban Valencia circuit, which F1 is visiting this weekend, those extra, niggly little kinks and bends are too close to the main corner at the end of the straights, and so they muddle up the line and overtaking attempts.

What we have here in SBF's design may look similar, but is not. That right-hander has a much larger radius, and ends early enough that the cars will have a decent run in a straight line heading into the actual braking/passing zone at the hairpin in the top right of the image.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2717521)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Yannick this might give you a better idea of the corners...
Attached Thumbnails
close up.jpg