Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Mar 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3628546)   #276
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
2017 is a grandfather clause year in both IMSA and ACO sanctioned series. In either case, I'm betting that the newer cars will be given favorable BOP to encourage teams to run the newer cars, just like the ACO did with LMP1 cars in 2005 to get hasten teams switch over to new rules cars.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3628585)   #277
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...ply-and-demand

The sobering reality.

Last edited by YZFrider; 29 Mar 2016 at 23:45.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3628591)   #278
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like that it is mentioned that the Cadillac could keep using the V8. Would be a shame to lose that wonderful sound, particularly if the other entries are using small turbo engines as well.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 04:53 (Ref:3628609)   #279
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I was actually pretty amused by that, because when the whole "how will we fit turbos under the standard bodywork" fuss came up a few days ago my first thought was "I bet a small block Chevy will fit in there just fine though".

And so it came to be.

I'm sure it's also much cheaper and more reliable to make 600hp from an LSx than to push it out of the LF4.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 12:49 (Ref:3628690)   #280
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Keep the SBC sound please because it's phenomenal.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3628699)   #281
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I'm sure it's also much cheaper and more reliable to make 600hp from an LSx than to push it out of the LF4.
I wouldn't be so sure of that part. If they were starting from scratch I'm sure you are right, but now that the turbo unit has already been developed for the ATS-V.R I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is capable of running reliably at similar power levels.

I've never been able to see any of them in person, but even from Lanky Turtle's videos and the stuff we catch on TV in the times that the commentators shut up, the Corvette DPs are some of the best sounding race cars out there, not just in IMSA competition. I don't want to lose some of the variety in the class. The more sounds we get the better, and if GM doesn't run a thundering V8 then no one else will sadly so we will have lost that sound.

Besides, the CTS-V still uses a V8, so it's not like it's un-Cadillac.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3628715)   #282
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the Pruett article suggest teams will have to bring a dpi instead of anew old p2 to be competitive next year. Meanwhile Oreca says that demand for dpi won't be high next season...

Jesus.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 14:40 (Ref:3628716)   #283
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
No, current grandfathered P2 coupes will not be competitive against new DPis in 2017. That's the current situation which might change substantially if only a handful of new DPis show up at Daytona next year.

But I bet IMSA is more than happy with 2-4 GM DPis vs 2-4 Mazda DPis as long as both (along with the GT manufacturers) are footing IMSA's bills.

Worst case scenario will see only 5 top class protos...
Old 30 Mar 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3628717)   #284
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
So the Pruett article suggest teams will have to bring a dpi instead of anew old p2 to be competitive next year. Meanwhile Oreca says that demand for dpi won't be high next season...

Jesus.
Oreca says that time is running out and that they think the manus won't be able to get everything together in time for Daytona.

Might we see some WEC-spec P2s with Gibson engines badged as Chevy/whatever at Daytona if they can't get everything together? At what point does IMSA delay the bodywork mandate to 2018 and allow manus to run the WEC-spec bodywork instead? I know that some modifications would have to be made for turbo units, but that seems like it would be much more doable in the timeframe given.

Of course, I'm still of the opinion that sometime in the summer IMSA will spring grandfathering the DPs in for 2017. Gotta believe that if that happened, then they WOULD be BoP'd to the new cars.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3628725)   #285
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I'm still of the opinion that sometime in the summer IMSA will spring grandfathering the DPs in for 2017. Gotta believe that if that happened, then they WOULD be BoP'd to the new cars.
Yuop. IMSA will wait until they are absolutely sure that every team which can buy a DPi has ... and then they will change the rules to make sure there are actually cars on the grid.

Which means another season at least of the BoP BS, where every race win means that the series picked a winner as much as the winning drivers and team did the best job.

If it tries hard, IMSA can carry on the proud American tradition of killing sports car series.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3628729)   #286
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Mazda is firmly committed to winning at Le Mans in some prototype class, or at least taking a very serious shot. I have no idea what year they would plan to go over, but they will continue to run two cars here until then, I'd figure .... maybe until they can get some kind of WEC waiver for their two-liter. You know .... Audi-style, buy the regulations they need.
Indeed. When did they first state their intention to enter Le Mans again? From memory, it was 2012 or possibly even earlier. Mazda's racing commitments have felt like they're just sitting around, waiting for something to happen. If Nissan's approach to marketing in motorsports in recent years was a bucket of ice cold water poured over the head, then Mazda's approach has been something more akin to subliminal advertising.

Apart from the time they got scared that no one had heard of Skyactiv.

Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3628733)   #287
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

Jesus.
IMSA will be fine for next year. Pruett has posted the same article for months now. He just keeps changing the dates. Remember that time Nissan paid him errrrr gave him access to their LMP1 car so he could tell you it was the next best thing and would change racing? I do. His bias is showing again.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:12 (Ref:3628737)   #288
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hope that soon IMSA will realize that the simplest solution is the best:

no more custom bodywork, just "normal" lmp2 powered by no-spec engine like GM, HPD, mazda or whatelse
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3628738)   #289
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Indeed. When did they first state their intention to enter Le Mans again? From memory, it was 2012 or possibly even earlier. Mazda's racing commitments have felt like they're just sitting around, waiting for something to happen. If Nissan's approach to marketing in motorsports in recent years was a bucket of ice cold water poured over the head, then Mazda's approach has been something more akin to subliminal advertising.

Apart from the time they got scared that no one had heard of Skyactiv.

off topic consideration. Never understood why mazda team is sticking since 2014 with that updated lola b12/80, that since its introdution has been the worst lmp2 chassis available!
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3628744)   #290
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
hope that soon IMSA will realize that the simplest solution is the best:

no more custom bodywork, just "normal" lmp2 powered by no-spec engine like GM, HPD, mazda or whatelse

DPi is here to stay!

L.P.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:22 (Ref:3628745)   #291
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
off topic consideration. Never understood why mazda team is sticking since 2014 with that updated lola b12/80, that since its introdution has been the worst lmp2 chassis available!
It was the cheapest chassis they could use. An outdated LMP2 whose company had just gone into bankruptcy. We should see them with a new chassis next year.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3628748)   #292
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yuop. IMSA will wait until they are absolutely sure that every team which can buy a DPi has ... and then they will change the rules to make sure there are actually cars on the grid.

Which means another season at least of the BoP BS, where every race win means that the series picked a winner as much as the winning drivers and team did the best job.

If it tries hard, IMSA can carry on the proud American tradition of killing sports car series.

There has been a carry over transitional (BoP) grandfathering from day 1. Including the 'good old days' when Audi, Acura and Porsche were fighting it out and EVERYBODY loved it! So why is it that doing it for the transition to DPi is so different?

L.P.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3628764)   #293
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
hope that soon IMSA will realize that the simplest solution is the best: no more custom bodywork, just "normal" lmp2 powered by no-spec engine like GM, HPD, mazda or whatelse
this assumes all the different power plants fit under the engine cover, and all the necessary scoops and radiators are fed.

Mazda's downfall with the diesel (one of them I guess) was that it didn't fit well in the Lola engine bay and didn't get enough cooling (ran much hotter than the gas-fueled AER-Mazda motor) and cooked itself.

IMSA simply needs to BoP the P2s to be competitive, which it might have said it won't do ... who knows who to believe any more?
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3628766)   #294
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
It was the cheapest chassis they could use. An outdated LMP2 whose company had just gone into bankruptcy. We should see them with a new chassis next year.
They had already had a long relationship with the combination via Dyson, so it was not because it was the 'cheapest' chassis but rather one that they had experience with and was fully developed. Also after the Lola (race car) receivership issue, Lola/Multimatic/Haas was the only independent P2 constructor (active with a current existing P2) with facilities in N. America at the time, which was desirable for the much needed teething pains of installing the diesel (thank goodness that's done with).

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 30 Mar 2016 at 17:10.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 17:13 (Ref:3628772)   #295
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
this assumes all the different power plants fit under the engine cover, and all the necessary scoops and radiators are fed.

Mazda's downfall with the diesel (one of them I guess) was that it didn't fit well in the Lola engine bay and didn't get enough cooling (ran much hotter than the gas-fueled AER-Mazda motor) and cooked itself.

IMSA simply needs to BoP the P2s to be competitive, which it might have said it won't do ... who knows who to believe any more?
If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't. I don't see the big deal either way.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3628780)   #296
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't. I don't see the big deal either way.
I guess .... ??? Six cars in the top class beats ALMS I guess .... and it will give the PCs more room to run . But if Mazda only builds two DPis and the mystery team only brings two Cadillacs, that is a four-car top class. Still beats ALMS ... but is a definite step backwards for IMSA.

How many teams would bother bringing a Gibson-powered P2 if they knew they would lose? How many teams will find other places to race?

I just don't think it would be wise for IMSA to do anything to hurt its top class ... and given the history of series management, I therefore almost expect them to.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3628784)   #297
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I guess .... ??? Six cars in the top class beats ALMS I guess .... and it will give the PCs more room to run . But if Mazda only builds two DPis and the mystery team only brings two Cadillacs, that is a four-car top class. Still beats ALMS ... but is a definite step backwards for IMSA.

How many teams would bother bringing a Gibson-powered P2 if they knew they would lose? How many teams will find other places to race?

I just don't think it would be wise for IMSA to do anything to hurt its top class ... and given the history of series management, I therefore almost expect them to.
Why do you think a Gibson powered '17 P2 would be a loser? Those are going to be BoPed equal with the DPi.

L.P.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3628802)   #298
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How do two performance balanced Riley-"Mazdas" going against two Dallara-"Cadillacs" beat even the lamest of ALMS LMP1 fields (let's say 1x Pickett, 2x Dyson and 1x Autocon or whatever)?
Old 30 Mar 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3628805)   #299
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Why do you think a Gibson powered '17 P2 would be a loser? Those are going to be BoPed equal with the DPi.

L.P.
Because the second hand spec Zytek engine and all the barebody chassis won't have OEM politics powers and money like the Chevrolets and Mazdas and Hondas do.

Theory doesn't equal reality.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 18:46 (Ref:3628806)   #300
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
How do two performance balanced Riley-"Mazdas" going against two Dallara-"Cadillacs" beat even the lamest of ALMS LMP1 fields (let's say 1x Pickett, 2x Dyson and 1x Autocon or whatever)?
Don't forget the occasional Rebellion against the Pickett Honda. Those were good battles. Then the Mazda too (when it was actually competitive). That 3-way battle was better than watching DP vs P2 imo.