Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jun 2003, 14:29 (Ref:633008)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
BTCC to join F1 GP support package...

Just thought i'd post that the BTCC will join the British GP support package in 2004.

Good news, that may bring fresh interest from manufacturers who want a "bigger" championship.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 14:33 (Ref:633016)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Christ, it's about time it returned to the GP support package. Leaving it kind of hurt the championship, I felt.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 14:39 (Ref:633021)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's only a non-championship race though, so I'm not sure if everyone will give it 100%, especially the privateers. The race should have championship status, maybe even some sort of one-off system. Its a chance to put the BTCC (new cars and all) in the shop window of the casual fans.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 15:01 (Ref:633051)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cue the cries of "the GP costs too much"

I'd say then tough, you'll just not have to go to this race.. there will be 60,000 spectators there anyway!!

Just hope we all manage to see it on TV anyway, remember it left the GP package because of the rows over the rights.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 15:26 (Ref:633072)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally i think this is very good news, it will make the BTCC very attractive to new manufacturers, to show them selves in front of CART and GP crowds
Old 16 Jun 2003, 15:37 (Ref:633081)   #6
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Cue the cries of "the GP costs too much"

I'd say then tough, you'll just not have to go to this race.. there will be 60,000 spectators there anyway!!

Just hope we all manage to see it on TV anyway, remember it left the GP package because of the rows over the rights.
It won't be on TV - Bernie would never allow it.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 15:49 (Ref:633092)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's a non-championship event then people complain that the teams won't bother attending, or won't put 100% effort into it.

If it is a championship event, then people complain that it's too expensive to see, and may not be on TV.

Well, you certainly can't please everyone...
Old 16 Jun 2003, 16:12 (Ref:633135)   #8
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.btccworld.com/news/69.php

hmm, mixed feelings. I see it from the point of view that many people will see the BTCC at the BGP and it will raise profile BUT its expensive and Bernie won't allow it to be on TV.

And with it being a non championship event the whole point of it goes out or the window because if teams dont turn up of dont give it the full then the whole spectical and PR idea is gone.

We'd be much better off scraping that idea and letting them race at both Knockhill and Rockingham.

Im going against the grain again

Last edited by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man; 16 Jun 2003 at 16:13.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 16:57 (Ref:633194)   #9
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, it's a disaster:

1. I can't go, because it's too expensive.

2. Bernie will ensure that it will not be shown on TV.

So it's wonderful news for the BTCC, as *way* more fans will see a live race than usual, and it will raise it's profile... but bad for me.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 17:10 (Ref:633212)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What happened to Alan Gow's comments about not wanting to race on the GP circuit as it's too spread out and doesn't make for good racing?

So it gets a big crowd, most of which will be corporate guest how wouldn't know an exhaust from a radiator grill and wouldn't actually attend another event.

Non-championship or not, what about all the problems last time they ran at the GP?

Sorry, but just don't see the point.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 17:58 (Ref:633247)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not happy
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:03 (Ref:633252)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well personally I think it's excellent news. I will not attend if I have to pay to get in but it can only be good for the series. It's all fine and dandy opening it up to ETCC rules but you still need a selling point to bring these new teams in. Events such as a GP and/or CART support event are just up their street. Okay, this is not going to be popular with all of the hardcore BTCC fans but it should help more manufacturers make the decision to join, it will get the series more attention (remember those who came to see CART and went away singing the praises of the BTCC) and it is not part of the championship... so everyone's a winner!

I'm rather concerned about the date pencilled in for Mondello though... that's been Le Mans weekend for the past few years Now I like travelling over to Mondello but, as in 2001 when they clashed, there's no way I'd choose Mondello over Le Mans!!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:08 (Ref:633261)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had a quick look at the calander - Mondello and Le Mans on the same weekend, thats just a none starter for me.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:16 (Ref:633273)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Is LM confirmed already?? If so it looks like I'm gonna miss out on Mondello **** it
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:28 (Ref:633282)   #15
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Gow reckons that the F1 support race should be on TV, as ITV are the 'host broadcaster' for the BGP.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:47 (Ref:633297)   #16
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV are the host broadcaster for the GP, but ITV don't own the Touring Car rights - they only show it. Granada own the rights to Touring Cars.

I'd be very surprised if there was any TV coverage of the GP support race, and almost certainly it won't be live on Motors TV like the rest of the season.

Alan Gow hasn't thought this through.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:58 (Ref:633313)   #17
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm pleased to see them back on the bill. But that's because I don't miss the British GP anyway and it will be fantastic to have yet another race on the support package.

Let's face it: it'll be 1000 times more interesting than F3000!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:19 (Ref:633342)   #18
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
though it was good when the f3 suppported back in 2001
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:07 (Ref:633404)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Alan Gow reckons that the F1 support race should be on TV, as ITV are the 'host broadcaster' for the BGP.
In the same way the BBC were when they were unable to broadcast the GP support races in the past you mean?
Old 16 Jun 2003, 23:03 (Ref:633631)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
f3 supported last year 2002 didn't it?

the btcc race added a reason to go to qualifying saturday when it used to support, and with a f3 race too it wasn't as empty as it is now that's for sure.

it's good news, as for those wondering about numbers of cars that will take part, the f3 race was non-championship and that attracted the same grid as the normal races plus a few extra cars from the big teams. if the etcc cars are eligable for this too it could bring some pretty mammoth grids.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 05:31 (Ref:633762)   #21
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From a personal viewpoint, I don't like it because I won't get to see it and I do wonder if they will manage to get TV coverage sorted out. However, to see the positive side, it's easy to see how it's the sort of thing that sponsors will like and if it does encourage new sponsors and in turn teams / drivers then it's got to have a good side to it.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 07:14 (Ref:633821)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know why Bernie would not want it on TV? Granada is part of ITV. Question is what race is being dropped,I guess the historic event.

Last edited by Rob29; 17 Jun 2003 at 07:17.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 07:38 (Ref:633842)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the Australian Grand Prix we get to see all the support races on TV (provided the host network want to show it), always have since Adelaide 1985. I don't know why it would be any different anywhere else.

Conflicting TV contracts didn't matter over here, Channel 7 then Channel 10 had the championship rights, but it didn't stop Channel 9, who had the GP rights, from showing the V8s and other support classes.

Good news to see them back on the GP circuit, will be great to see.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:11 (Ref:634015)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Let me clear up one point. Once the GP is over the meeting is no longer an FIA event technically, that is how the organisers have been able to include a national series in the past. As far as ITV are concerned, don't they show BTCC a week or two after the event? If so why are we worried about the BTCC being on the support bill?

My past experience of the BTCC on the GP circuit at Silverstone is that they do tend to get 'spread out' and that the racing is nowhere as close as with other circuits.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:30 (Ref:634037)   #25
LittleX
Rookie

LittleX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes

Non-championship or not, what about all the problems last time they ran at the GP?

Hi Everybody,

What did happen last time? I have only been following BTCC for a few years.