Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jul 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3662539)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling Joe - owner(?) Sunbeam Harrington Special

Just been to a friends BBQ in Hertfordshire and, chatting to next door neighbour, a lady in her 70's touched on cars she has driven. One was the Harrington S. around Goodwood... Transpires that her Dad owned it in the 60's (and a pub that entertained Team Lotus in the day) near Goodwood. She dug out some period photos, I'm guessing there was only one but if not the reg no. was something like XPS 949. Same one as the LeMans Harrington?
I remember from a time back on here that Joe (?) ran it. The lady says if you are interested, she'll copy some photos and give a bit of history.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3662591)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll point Keith Hampson to this thread; he may know current owner/car whereabouts.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 31 Jul 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3662693)   #3
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or try John Rushton JT. He owned it and Joe and I raced it for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jul 2016, 22:09 (Ref:3662719)   #4
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
I'll ask JR if it is of interest then, thanks.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 06:16 (Ref:3662759)   #5
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh sorry Dikko, I missed that was you asking the question. Hiya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 Aug 2016, 06:23 (Ref:3662761)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Dikko

3000RW was JR's old car, the ex works entry from '61, I think it now resides in the US.

http://www.harringtonalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=57
Old 1 Aug 2016, 06:27 (Ref:3662762)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, sorry, I might be getting the wrong end of all this but not sure we are all talking about the same car here. There were a few Harrington Le Mans raced over the years.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 1 Aug 2016, 16:40 (Ref:3662891)   #8
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Yep, looks like there are more than one!!

Thanks Joe, I'll pass that website on to little lady. Should have googled in first place..excitement I guess... D
Old 1 Aug 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3662906)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When I worked for Alan Fraser many moons ago they had a couple of Alpine Harringtons kicking about, I don't know if they were customers or works cars, this would have been 1962-64ish. They also had one of the first Sunbeam Tigers in the comp dept at that time.
I also remember when he packed it all in he took the Rootes Asp prototype and a Tiger with him.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 1 Aug 2016 at 18:08.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Aug 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3662994)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
They made nearly 400 HArringtons in various guises. 3000RW was built with 1 off 'streamlined' coachwork for LeMans.

It was so slick it was slower than the std car in a straight line!
Old 3 Aug 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3663254)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This is supposed to be the "original one" ? It was flogged off at Bonhams Goodwood.
Attached Thumbnails
alpine h.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Aug 2016, 07:33 (Ref:3663393)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
It is the original one, but was apparently restored from a less than perfect discovery, most of the bodywork is Aluminium and was not quite the same as original around the nose.

Here it is in the Harrington Showroom, Worthing, late summer 1961 . . . . still with Le Mans dust on it. I got the photo's from a friend, who took them, his Uncle let him in to look at the car one weekend and take the photo's. Building is now an Audi dealership. Houses opposite are still there and back onto Worthing CC where Arthur plays.
Attached Thumbnails
3000RW 010small.jpg   3000RW 011small.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2016, 10:57 (Ref:3663407)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
As we've said in the past regarding restoring/rebuilding originals a lot of it is "bo*****s as you could in theory start with a nut and bolt ! but how you would authenticate it is another can of worms.
As time goes on and people that were about at the time depart this world the Chinese whispers start !
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3666508)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Got this from Keith Hampson the other day.

Re the Alpine you mention. I have not got any information on the Alpine you mention. All I can think it is one of the first test cars produced. There were several cars produced for testing and they were numbered XRW 301 to XRW 308. It could be one of those. Bernard Unett who was a development engineer at Rootes, raced one in the early 60s and that one was XRW 302 That car is owned by a Club member.

I'm thinking that maybe move this to the history forum shortly, as we do get some different historian posters in there.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3666780)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Got this from Keith Hampson the other day.

Re the Alpine you mention. I have not got any information on the Alpine you mention. All I can think it is one of the first test cars produced. There were several cars produced for testing and they were numbered XRW 301 to XRW 308. It could be one of those. Bernard Unett who was a development engineer at Rootes, raced one in the early 60s and that one was XRW 302 That car is owned by a Club member.

I'm thinking that maybe move this to the history forum shortly, as we do get some different historian posters in there.
I have works engine that anyone can have at a reasonable price!

From Harrington.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3666827)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John, I'll mention it to Keith