Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 24 Jul 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3437174)   #1
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Switching to PC

Thinking of finally making the move from console to PC to get more serious in simulator racing but i'm not really clued up on computers and such. I just want a computer that's capable of running games from rfactor to whatever is new like Codemaster's latest releases. What are the general specs and how much do you reckon it'd cost me? I've got a fair bit of cash that I've saved just for this over the past few years as a treat to myself.

As for the wheel, i'm not going to have a full on rig as I don't have the space but I don't mind spending quite a bit on getting a fairly high range wheel and perhaps buying some things to mod it such as better brake feel. I was using the Mircosoft official wheel in the 360 and hated the spring brake. Just as a starting point, I was at Silverstone for the F1 and had a go on the gamezone sims which I loved (think they were fanatec) and didn't embarrass myself too badly on them. I know they cost quite a bit and I'd rather not pay £1,000 for it but I loved the formula style wheel rim.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 Jul 2014, 03:23 (Ref:3437190)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most sim software sellers will provide minimum and recommended specs on their website/the side of the box. Look for a machine that meets or exceeds the recommended specs for the games you have selected.

I don't know about PCs in the UK, but here in Australia, the best way to buy a computer is online. I got mine from www.dell.com.au and am happy with the performance, the price was amazing and it was delivered to my door less than a week after I placed the order.

I bought a Logitech DFP wheel & pedal set at a 1/2 price sale on boxing day years ago. It's very good and I'm quite happy with its performance and durability, but it only has a sequential shifter and two pedals. I'd like a h-pattern shifter that can be located on either side and three pedals.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 03:33 (Ref:3437191)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
In terms of the PC itself, it's always better if you can build your own, that way you can choose your components, or if you aren't confident in doing that, I believe there are websites that will offer that.

I am still using an old driving force pro, however if I was buying a wheel today, it would probably be the G27. The price of wheels skyrocketed a few years back and haven't come down since. The g27 used to be about £150, but it's been stuck at £215 (or higher) for a long while now.

I have only heard about the fanatec stuff, never used any of it. People often say it's good kit, but can suffer from mechanical issues, whereas the Logitech gear tends to be quite bullet proof and they have great customer service. For what it's worth my driving force pro wheel is now entering it's 9th year of service and still operates as well as the day I bought it back in 2005.

Assetto Corsa (and other games) has breathed new life into the sim racing scene after years of stagnation of nothing new whatsoever, it's really a good time to be getting into it. There was a big gulf in new sims from about 2007 onwards where there was literally nothing released, but then in 2013 there was a flood of new titles rfactor 2, game stock car, raceroom and others.

Last edited by Sodemo; 24 Jul 2014 at 03:38.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3437415)   #4
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is your overall budget for everything? What kind of set up would you ideally like that your living environment would allow?

Would you need a monitor and what size?.. or would you just use your HDTV?
Any space/other half constraints? Would you buy new, second hand... or even consider building your own PC?

It really isn't very difficult, I think of it as an electrical meccano set that could be completed by an average beginner within a day. You would learn a lot in the process which would help you a lot with regards to technical understanding further down the road, you'd enjoy building it and gain a real sense of acheivement.

There is a great thread on AVforums for best bang for buck component choice depending on your budget- http://www.avforums.com/threads/spec...06-14.1626883/

Sim racing wheels are a very personal thing and the laws of diminishing returns are very alive and kicking here when an 'el cheapo' DFGT can arguably do the same job as your mid-high range £500 Fanatec CSR with the very nice BMW rim . Personally I would probably choose a G27 over a belt driven wheel such as a Fanatec for better FFB (In my experience) over realism.
I also still favour my ancient 15 year old self modded thrustmaster Ferrari F1 FFB over my far superior built Fanatec GT3 but only because the F1 has an actual throttle and brake lever on the wheel itself which allows far greater throttle and brake control and dexterity than a seperate pedal box could ever offer me in a typical desk pc type sim arrangement. The big downside is that the F1 only offers 270 Deg of lock.

This video of Remco's Super FOV projector set up with the wheel emerging through the screen itself is the most realistic one I have ever seen and may give you some ideas. Here he tackles the Nordschleife in a 1100bhp Group C Jaguar XJR-9

Sim: rFactor
Track: Nordschleife EVO
Car: Jaguar XJR-9 (physics by Niels), beefed up to 1,100BHP (minus suitable brakes)
Lap time: none set

Monitor: Optoma HD800X-LV 1080p projector @ 1920x1080x32
Framerate: 180fps locked, no v-sync.
Wheel: Leo Bodnar FFB Wheel
Pedals: DIY, Load Cell brake ~50Kg
Shifter: DIY, authentic 'racing' layout
Aids: LOL
Category

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_OEXceZOk

He even has the gear crunch/grinding FFB mod installed so crank up the volume and enjoy..

Last edited by Zico; 24 Jul 2014 at 18:40.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3437504)   #5
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the info everyone, it's been really helpful.

I'll give building a pc a go. I always liked electronics just never tried a computer. I've already got a 27" monitor so I'll probably get two more of the same along with a G27, that seems to be the general consensus. I can't get a proper fixed rig as a.) I'm still looking for a job so I'll probably need to relocate and b.) when I do get a place I'll only be able to afford a small place.