Old 13 Aug 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2744086)   #1
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proof That F1 is in Trouble? Bernie Wants Danica

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...advert-for-F1-

That's got to be tangible proof that F1's fanbase is declining.

Either that, or his brain has turned to wood.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2744091)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320 View Post
That's got to be tangible proof that F1's fanbase is declining.

Either that, or his brain has turned to wood.
All it proves is that Bernie likes to attrack publicity to F1.

Nothing new there.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2744101)   #3
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly! He will do just about anything for exposure/money. It has served him well in the past but I for one would not like to see her in F1.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2744114)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Good old Bernie, he's thought of another way of getting Formula One some media exposure during the 3 week break between Grand Prix...
Old 13 Aug 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2744126)   #5
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's good at what he does. Why he gets away with it is another story.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2744130)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Isn't having Danica in F1 the same as say, having a GP in India or Abu Dhabi? It appeals to a wider audience, plain and simple!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2744141)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a wider audience? you seriously think there's women out there who would watch that nonsense their boyfriends and husbands watch on a sunday because there's a girl racing in it?
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2744151)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's more rubbish from the Bernie Ecclestone press release generator. Bear in mind that Danica isn't a particularly good driver, there are probably female drivers currently racing or coming through the field who could do a better job. The jury is out on if there would be more women watching it just because there's a female driver plodding round at the back (or throwing it in to every single armco barrier), as Danica Patrick would if she was in F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Isn't having Danica in F1 the same as say, having a GP in India or Abu Dhabi? It appeals to a wider audience, plain and simple!
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

GPs in Abu Dhabi won't increase the audience, if they want to do that they should hold races where there are fans. A damning indictment of this nonsensical calendar moves is that a one car demo in Poland got enough spectators to fill out the Yas Marina circuit two and a half times. India doesn't get motorsport - if it did there would be some domestic racing at a reasonable level. The dominant sports there are cricket, cricket and cricket and will remain as cricket, cricket and cricket.

If Bernie wants to increase the fanbase, or get races where there are actually fans, he should be planning races in the likes of Poland and Finland, not Abu Dhabi and India.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2744154)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i hate to make a superficial suggestion but if he wants to make more women watch it, seriously, topless under-30s driver autograph sessions and a filthy calendar every year ought to do it. the money is in the obsessive fangirls, not in the casual sofadwellers...
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2744156)   #10
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about women racers bringing in women fans. Making the sport look less like the physical manifestation of male chauvanism might though. I know I know. Political correctness gone mad etc etc. I still find it embrassing to see the way motorsport equates the word 'glamour' with half-naked women dangled over the grid/podium etc. I'm probably in a minority though, so fair enough.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2744157)   #11
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i hate to make a superficial suggestion but if he wants to make more women watch it, seriously, topless under-30s driver autograph sessions and a filthy calendar every year ought to do it. the money is in the obsessive fangirls, not in the casual sofadwellers...
I like watching the GP with a dirty big fry-up during the pre-race. Especially the early ones. I'm not sure 5am + Fry-up + Jenson Button's baps is going to be a great combination. I feel a bit ill just thinking about it.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2744158)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
Not sure about women racers bringing in women fans. Making the sport look less like the physical manifestation of male chauvanism might though. I know I know. Political correctness gone mad etc etc. I still find it embrassing to see the way motorsport equates the word 'glamour' with half-naked women dangled over the grid/podium etc. I'm probably in a minority though, so fair enough.
Actually you may well have a point there, Chris - there are certain series where it just becomes a little gratuitous. It is a vicious circle, motorsport has a predominantly male audience, so Arbitrary Bloke Product sponsors them, Arbitary Bloke Product then want that sort of promotion, which may stop women wanting to follow motorsport, keeping the audience predominantly male, and so-on and so-forth. I don't think us mere mortals could access such data, but I'd like to see the BARB age, gender and NRS Social Grade* breakdowns of TV viewers of motorsport, football, rugby and various other sports broken down to see who actually watches what.

* You know, the A/B/C1/C2/D/E things.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 13 Aug 2010 at 15:35.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2744159)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i'm a girl and i don't care beyond the odd pang of jealousy over a spectacular erm, front set-up or a shade of sympathy for an unfortunate outfit. the minority of women who won't watch something because of some sort of bra-burning outrage probably aren't worth making the effort to gain support from. far easier to target the emotionally unstable fangirls. not only will they spend hundreds on grandstands, campsites and merchandise without question, they'll spread the word and get more girls watching on the strength of one of the drivers being a bit of alright.

seriously you should have heard the fangirl world implode when someone found a picture of jaime alguersuari with his shirt off. i'm pretty sure there's still a few of them recovering from the shock.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2744162)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
I like watching the GP with a dirty big fry-up during the pre-race. Especially the early ones. I'm not sure 5am + Fry-up + Jenson Button's baps is going to be a great combination. I feel a bit ill just thinking about it.
you'd better pray they don't do a feature on him doing the triathalon last week on the spa pre-race show then
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2744165)   #15
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
i'm a girl and i don't care beyond the odd pang of jealousy over a spectacular erm, front set-up or a shade of sympathy for an unfortunate outfit. the minority of women who won't watch something because of some sort of bra-burning outrage probably aren't worth making the effort to gain support from. far easier to target the emotionally unstable fangirls. not only will they spend hundreds on grandstands, campsites and merchandise without question, they'll spread the word and get more girls watching on the strength of one of the drivers being a bit of alright.

seriously you should have heard the fangirl world implode when someone found a picture of jaime alguersuari with his shirt off. i'm pretty sure there's still a few of them recovering from the shock.
No, you are right.

I just find it a bit... cheap. It just very often looks tacky - when the organisers think its adding glamour. Especially at club level events where they try to make a wet (no pun intended!), stock-hatch podium at Donington look like James Hunt in Monaco by putting some 18 year old girls in their pants up there. Blughhh.

I like Danica, but if she's not good enough its hardly going to add any value to women fans, potential women fans or anyone else for her to come in and look rubbish. I do think she's better than some here have made her out though.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:40 (Ref:2744168)   #16
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
you'd better pray they don't do a feature on him doing the triathalon last week on the spa pre-race show then
Oh my, your bringing back memories of those bike riding shots at the last race! I'd repressed that nicely!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2744177)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
No, you are right.

I just find it a bit... cheap. It just very often looks tacky - when the organisers think its adding glamour. Especially at club level events where they try to make a wet (no pun intended!), stock-hatch podium at Donington look like James Hunt in Monaco by putting some 18 year old girls in their pants up there. Blughhh.
yeah, agreed. i have one counter arguement to all suggestions that promo models in motorsport are tacky. the telefonica girls and boys at the spanish grands prix. classy, usually attractive but not overly so and promotes the company well. a couple of ladies determined to illustrate they did in fact apply their fake tan with no clothes on is not attractive or good for a company's image.

going back to the original point, susie stoddart has settled brilliantly into the dtm, and doesn't feel the need to pose in her pants at any given opportunity. she seems to have a lot of respect based on the fact she just got on with it. there seems to be a couple of girls who compete on a similar basis in lower single seaters but they don't seem to be able to produce the results.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2744199)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
a wider audience? you seriously think there's women out there who would watch that nonsense their boyfriends and husbands watch on a sunday because there's a girl racing in it?
Care to point out where i specified women? I was generalizing. Having Danica Patrick in F1, whether she's good enough or not, appeals to (some) people and creates interest. Bernie knows this, thats why he's bought up the subject. (on what is a very slow F1 news week).
Old 13 Aug 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2744208)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm still amazed how people react to Bernie.

The history:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70681
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Ecclestone says...
People go giddy...
Ecclestone says...
Heads explode...
Ecclestone says...
Outrage ensues...
Ecclestone wins.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2744212)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Danica Patrick record in road/street circuits:

2009 St Pete: 19th
2009 Long Beach: 4th
2009 Glen: 11th
2009 Toronto: 6th
2009 Edmonton: 11th
2009 Mid-Ohio: 19th
2009 Sears Point: 16th
2010 São Paulo: 15th
2010 St Pete: 7th
2010 Barber: 19th
2010 Long Beach: 16th
2010 Glen: 20th
2010 Toronto: 6th
2010 Edmonton: 15th
2010 Mid-Ohio: 21st

Nearly every GP2 driver would beat her in any formula car. Even Simona de Silvestro does in a heavier car of a low-budget team versus Danica's third force Andretti.

No thanks, Bernie. F1 should be for the best drivers.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2744217)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think of the merchanise you could sell.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122465
Old 13 Aug 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2744243)   #22
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No thanks. Give a driver to a more talented driver, irrespective of what gender they are.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2744245)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why does that thread creep me out so much...
Old 13 Aug 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2744307)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I'm thinking what you're thinking.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2744340)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For one thing, F1 drivers are made or broken by their ability to use the brakes effectively and danica doesn't have the leg strength to make it happen for a 60 lap F1 race. Nor does she have the neck to handle 5g over and over.

The talent level in indycar is pretty lacking. She is in one of the so called better teams and yet trails way behind in road races.