Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 15 Nov 2012, 02:52 (Ref:3166497)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 Race Stars

Just downloaded the demo for the Xbox 360 and it's a pretty good arcade racer. Very similar to the old Mario Kart games from the N64 days but with more references to F1. The cars handle very well, the tracks are decent as over the top arcade lunacy, (Roughly 85% is fictional with about 15% being nearly dead on to the real life track) the graphics look brilliant with a cartoony look to them (The cars look like miniature go-karts of the real thing, right down to the sponsor logos) and the weapon systems are pretty awesome with F1 inspired measures (Like DRS Speed Boost, KERS Boost dotted around some turns, calling up the rain to slow down the competitors and bringing out the safety car to compress the field for examples)

The only thing that bugs me is the sound. The cars sometimes do sound like F1 cars but at others times they don't. Also, they've got generic voice actors to do the voices of the drivers instead of the drivers themselves. (So for example, Seb Vettel sounds more like Col. Klink from Hogan's Heroes rather than Seb himself)
Old 19 Nov 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3168266)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Downloaded it myself as well and not sure I stopped laughing for the whole race. Definitely a completely fun and crazy game in the vain of Mario Kart (even back to the old SNES version, sign I'm getting old there) but prob not worth more then 20 bucks but might give it a look used next summer.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3168334)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Got it ordered along with Sonic And Sega Racing.

A truly fantastic past month for arcade racers.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3168359)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I struggle with these arcade titlkes, any title where being quick is enalised by having people shiit at you more is not for me!

Great idea, but it needs marketing at kids and families, and it should arguably have been able to use the MOVE controller that would make it more family orientated perhaps?

I tried it and it actually really just IS mario kart, surprised Nintendo arent sueing!!
Old 19 Nov 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3168389)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Most kart games are just clones of Mario Kart!

Sonic And Sega, Crash Team Racing, all are blatant clones. But they are so fun! Childish yes, but fun.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3171781)   #6
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thought it was crap compared with better kart games like mario and modnation. A bit funny but seemed too stiff and empty to be very fun
Old 26 Nov 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3171923)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yeah it is pretty bad.

Having to brake and take lines properly on a game like this is just not on. Not enough tracks. Some of the stupidest power ups conceivable. Moronic KERS system.

It is a good idea in principal, a refreshing take on the F1 license but it really needs some tweaks.

Sonic And Sega All Stars Transformed shows the way.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3180103)   #8
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I always liked the Mario Kart games. I own every one of them on any Nintendo hardware since the SNES original. I love F1. I don't love Super F1 Kart.

First, everyone knows it's just a blatant Mario Kart ripoff, but this isn't new since several other companies already ripped it off. However, glaring to me was to the extent at which it tried to be Mario Kart. As I was playing the demo I noticed how all the brief exclamations from the drivers were generic Mario-like noises, but now it's Alonso or Vettel throwing out cartoony chuckles and "Yow-wow-wow-wow-wow!" instead of Mario. I'd like to have heard drivers making short comments or outbursts, preferably in the drivers' actual voices, rather than unintelligible grunts and chortles that are indistinguishable from one driver to the next.

Another problem is the lack of character. Mario can do anything he wants and make it work, and his universe is full of whacky stuff to draw from when looking for track locations, obstacles, weapons, or whatever. F1 doesn't have this. Where Mario Kart might have weapons like Fire Flowers, Koopa shells, banana peels, Bob-ombs, Bullet Bills, Starman, et cetera, F1 Race Stars has red, blue, or yellow orbs. In fairness to Codemasters, I'm not sure what much more they could have done here since the world of F1 doesn't have much lighthearted goofiness to draw from.

I also had a problem with the fictional characters. I jumped into the demo and to the only playable race, and then at the starting grid sequence I see a girl in pink with a pink car. "Who the is this?" Afterward I went back to the character menu and saw the usual twenty-four actual drivers plus four fake ones tacked on at the end. Three of the four were girls and all four were in either pink or purple. It felt like obvious pandering to female gamers, who should be insulted by the fact that they were painted up in pink because they're girls. If a female were to suddenly appear as one of the drivers on the grid for 2013, her team colors and car wouldn't be pink just because she has ovaries, and in fact the color scheme would have nothing to do with the driver in the first place.

Beyond that is the fact that it's unusual seeing girl drivers in there on account of them being virtually absent from the history of the actual sport. I looked it up the other day, and I only found five female drivers in the history of F1 (not counting any test drivers), of which only two ever made it to an actual race, and between them only one scored any championship points, with one driver having a lifetime total of 0.5 points to her name. I have no problem with female drivers. I'd love to see one with more talent than the overrated Danica Patrick appear in an F1 car. Until that day comes I don't want to see them unnaturally forced into a driver lineup just for the sake of having some girls in there. It feels like a sort of "affirmative action hire" situation.

"Crap. We're required to have X-amount of females on the grid and right now we have none. Hey, you over there! You like fast cars? You do? Good. Here's a helmet. You're now a Formula One driver! We'll even give you a pretty pink car!"
Old 20 Dec 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3180404)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
I always liked the Mario Kart games. I own every one of them on any Nintendo hardware since the SNES original.
I loathe Mario Kart. The most frustrating game I have ever played I think, no fun just annoying. Just makes me want to throw things at the tv.

Quote:
rather than unintelligible grunts and chortles
Are you sure they didn't get Raikkonen to do the voices

Quote:
Another problem is the lack of character. Mario can do anything he wants and make it work,
The one thing that Mario can do in my opinion is **** off Including Mario ruins any game. I'm not sure why but I really can't stand Mario as a character and the Mario games are just lazy now, regurgitate the same crap over and over, add in a new character now and again 'Wario'? ****ing really? That's the best they could do? Turn the initial letter upside down (and don't even get me started on Waluigi - wtf?), time to die Mario, time to die.

Quote:
If a female were to suddenly appear as one of the drivers on the grid for 2013, her team colors and car wouldn't be pink just because she has ovaries, and in fact the color scheme would have nothing to do with the driver in the first place.
Did you see Susie Stoddarts DTM car? Or Katherine Legges DTM car? Lots of pink going on there.

Hmmm, that is on the whole a very grumpy post. Still, it's Marios fault
Old 20 Dec 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3180429)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The pink issue is well known. I'd prefer female drivers to wear Rosso corsa, British racing green, Bleu France, orange, neon green and sky blue as well.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3181066)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
So for example, Seb Vettel sounds more like Col. Klink from Hogan's Heroes rather than Seb himself

They're not related anyway?

Damn, another theory blown to pieces......

Old 23 Jan 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3193435)   #12
Fillyourboots
Rookie

European Union
Fillyourboots should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Yeah it is pretty bad.

Having to brake and take lines properly on a game like this is just not on. Not enough tracks. Some of the stupidest power ups conceivable. Moronic KERS system.

It is a good idea in principal, a refreshing take on the F1 license but it really needs some tweaks.
If there is to be another F1RS game I hope it's more like F-Zero or Rollcage.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3195646)   #13
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isnt it meant to be a game for young kids - or are we all gumpy old big kids !