Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3331422)   #26
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has had a career far, far greater than I ever imagined when I first started following him in late nineties CART racing for Team Kool Green. He has won everything, he's going to go down in history as a truly great British racing driver. He's 40 and his decline has finally started, so it's probably the right time.

A sad way to end it, though. Thanks for everything Dario!
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3331425)   #27
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to see him have to retire, but thankfully his career didn't end like way too many drivers did this year.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3331428)   #28
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been an admirer of Dario's since his DTM / ITC days, he has been my favourite driver throughout most of my time following IndyCar, and the one who got me interested in the sport again when he won his 1st Indy 500.

I can totally understand his retirement at this point. After that crash, it does not come as a surprise at all. I wish him a full recovery and wish him a good life outside of the cockpit. Thanks, man.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3331430)   #29
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did I miss something? Has he officially retired? I thought it was just speculation.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3331431)   #30
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything can happen in motorsports, but this is really sad. I know that plenty of people have had ill feelings towards Dario and Ganassi over the years, but you cannot deny their success. Franchitti is a true legend and I'd expect him to stick around the racing scene. You can't argue against 4 titles and 31 CART/IndyCar wins.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3331434)   #31
Dragger
Racer

Just seen the press release, only read the headline, I'm dammed gutted

At least he had a great career. I have no favorite in Indycar anymore.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3331446)   #32
Dragger
Racer

Looks like I have to update my signature...

Old 14 Nov 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3331464)   #33
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just received this from the IMS

For Immediate Release

IMS STATEMENT ON RETIREMENT OF DARIO FRANCHITTI

INDIANAPOLIS, Thursday, November 14, 2013 - "In over 100 years of racing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Dario Franchitti stands in very exclusive company as just one of only ten drivers to win the Indianapolis 500 three or more times," said J. Douglas Boles, president of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "Dario's competitive drive, coupled with his passion for and appreciation of the history of the Indianapolis 500 made him a fan favorite at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. But it is his willingness to invest time to promote our sport outside of the car, to mentor young drivers aspiring to drive at Indianapolis, and to interact with our fans that make him one of the all-time great champions and ambassadors of the Indianapolis 500. We will miss him competing every May, but we look forward to celebrating his accomplishments in the Indianapolis 500 for years to come."

Having witnessed his final 'Indy 500' win in 2012, I am delighted that he has seen the sense to quit while ahead. I am so glad that I was there.

I wish him a wonderful and happy retirement.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3331469)   #34
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep to 'Favorite retired driver' ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
Looks like I have to update my signature...
Old 14 Nov 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3331483)   #35
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is the link to the press release:
http://chipganassiracing.com/ViewArt...rticleid=14019

That sucks, I was hoping to see him continue in sportscars, potentially with his brother.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3331499)   #36
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's crap. Exactly what the series didn't need. But I'd much rather see Franchitti than injure himself again.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3331503)   #37
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a really unfortunate way to end a very distinguished career but I'm glad the doctors had the guts to call it.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3331514)   #38
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad end for fabulous career.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3331526)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He's at a good age to retire. He accomplished ALOT in that career, the envy of 99% of drivers. It's tough that a spanner got thrown in the works as to his immediate plans but he's got a good future ahead of him. Think Jackie Stewart. I wish him the best. Hopefully he'll do some commentary as well. He was good a year or two ago when he did that at Fontana.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3331542)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has my respect for being a smart man now and knowing when to call it quits and escape the indy racing league. He has had some big accidents over the years and the body can only take so much and especially with this latest cheesegrater incident at Houston, at some point you might push the boat out too much and that's that.

Sounds like he is retired, retired and done driving for good. No sportscars.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3331569)   #41
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This explains why
http://www.racer.com/dario-franchitt...rticle/321055/

One of the best champions ever. Does so much good for the sport.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3331676)   #42
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad to see my fears become true...but if he feels this is the right time to retire, this is it...now we have to say goodbye to one of the best ever...i hope to see him soon like a team owner or even so a figure like Mears for Penske...

Now a question: who will replace him in the #10 car?
Old 15 Nov 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3331698)   #43
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very sad to hear this news and I really hope Dario doesn't suffer any serious long-term damage as a result of his injuries. I'd love to see him back in sportscars or even touring cars but it looks like a full recovery is his priority right now.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do next Dario - you are a legend to so many of us.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3331711)   #44
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Knew this was a possibility but still is a shocker. Just glad he is alive,period. Hope he sticks around racing venues in the future.
He is a cool racing personality and would be great in the booth.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3331712)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
Did I miss something? Has he officially retired? I thought it was just speculation.
He has officially retired. Autosport are carrying this article.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111314

Those injuries he sustained at Houston must have been much worse then we were led to believe, such a shame. I was hoping he'd make a full recovery and give it one more go, particularly the 500.

Enjoy your retirement Dario, you have more than earned it.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 15:16 (Ref:3331767)   #46
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the memories...

And the same sentiments from over here. All the best to Dario. I am sure that there are many things he can continue to do in motorsport - all of that experience could feed into coaching developing drivers, helping with car engineering and setup, any number of promotional activities... I'm sure there are more. As mentioned above he'd make a good commentator as well.

Will be nice to hear reaction from his Indycar driver peers, which I am sure will all be very positive.

If it's best Dario stay out of race cars for his health, then I hope he doesn't get lured into sportscars or something else later on. Even though I've for a long time hoped for a Marino/Dario/David Brabham line-up for Le Mans.

EDIT - or the all-in-the-family line-up of Franchitti/Franchitti/Di Resta, of course.

Last edited by rwintle; 15 Nov 2013 at 15:32. Reason: remembered something else unimportant
Old 15 Nov 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3331796)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I can totally understand his retirement at this point. After that crash, it does not come as a surprise at all. I wish him a full recovery and wish him a good life outside of the cockpit. Thanks, man.
Ditto! Cue the pipes!
Old 15 Nov 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3331806)   #48
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unquestionably the right decision for him to make, but definitely not the way anyone hoped he'd bow out of the sport. Not only could he have continued to run at the front in Indycar, I would have loved to see him in a good car at Le Mans as well. Dario's a real class act and that will be missed. The Greg Moore quote to end his statement was a lovely touch.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3331872)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Will be nice to hear reaction from his Indycar driver peers, which I am sure will all be very positive.
Indycar.com have posted a list of Tweets from fellow drivers.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/11/...t-announcement
Old 16 Nov 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3332074)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To Possibly Be Replaced By...

Interesting possibility, not sure the name in the article is perhaps as rounded as Mr Franchitti... we shall see...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House