Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 Apr 2016, 02:45 (Ref:3629719)   #51
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
I feel bad for Ryan, such a stellar performance tonight. Yet he is screwed once and once again by FCY.
That's the chance you take when you pit in early.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3629720)   #52
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Poor mileage hurts him again
Old 3 Apr 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3629721)   #53
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Well he's still on the lead lap ...
Old 3 Apr 2016, 02:49 (Ref:3629722)   #54
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
I feel bad for Ryan, such a stellar performance tonight. Yet he is screwed once and once again by FCY.
He will pass 3 or 4 on the restart. No worries.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:05 (Ref:3629724)   #55
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BS caution, finish under yellow. Thanks IndyCar.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:05 (Ref:3629725)   #56
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wtf happened at the end? The debris on track was fine for 5 or 6 laps, but at 2 to go out was a problem all the sudden?????
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:06 (Ref:3629726)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shame to end under a yellow but I don't think it would have affected the result, with 2 laps to go.

Congrats to Dixon and an impressive drive by Max Chilton.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:06 (Ref:3629727)   #58
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure why they called caution so late after the debris sitting there for 7 laps
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:06 (Ref:3629728)   #59
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Ridiculous end

I'm off to bed, it's just past 5am ...
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:07 (Ref:3629729)   #60
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FCY for Flippi was totally unnecessary, while this one this late, I really don't know what to say. Race decided by pit stop and caution.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:07 (Ref:3629730)   #61
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No idea what race control is thinking.

Munoz is slow and they wait to throw the yellow.

Bourdais taps the wall and the caution gets thrown instantly.

Debris on the front stretch for around 10 laps and a caution comes out with 2 to go.

Just awful decision making.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 03:24 (Ref:3629736)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
No idea what race control is thinking.

Munoz is slow and they wait to throw the yellow.

Bourdais taps the wall and the caution gets thrown instantly.

Debris on the front stretch for around 10 laps and a caution comes out with 2 to go.

Just awful decision making.
Just watched the interview with RH-R and he said he got buried by those yellows.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3629738)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't comment on the FCY calls throughout the race but the last one was odd if nothing else. Didn't ruin the end, however.

Lots of defensive driving tonight and too much dirty air contributing to lack of passing. There's almost too much at the big ovals and it's almost too tough at the shorter ones.

Regardless, more short ovals, please. Congrats to Dixie and brutal luck for RHR.

I enjoyed the show. Hope the 3,000 people or so in attendance did too.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 05:17 (Ref:3629743)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Apparently, the last FCY was due to Rossi going into the wall.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 06:11 (Ref:3629759)   #65
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solid race and glad to see the way it turned out, with some quality action rather than the pure aero push or crashfest that some predicted.

The only things I'm not happy about is the way cautions still get thrown for seemingly innocuous incidents (Kimball spin, Bourdais brushing the wall) and the commentators obsessing over what /might/ happen rather than what /is/ happening. But those are both fairly normal occurrences in North American racing, so not much to be surprised about.

Looking forward to Long Beach!
Old 3 Apr 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3629771)   #66
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

I enjoyed the show. Hope the 3,000 people or so in attendance did too.
Nothing to go on except people tweeting from the track - but suggesting alot more people than 3,000 there
Old 3 Apr 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3629777)   #67
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
The only things I'm not happy about is the way cautions still get thrown for seemingly innocuous incidents (Kimball spin, Bourdais brushing the wall) and the commentators obsessing over what /might/ happen rather than what /is/ happening
I agree with the latter but not the former. You don't take chances with a 20 second lap/185mph average speeds. Now I'm not saying all cautions in general were necessarily required, but we have the benefit of hindsight. The caution for Rossi at the end was legitimate, his car hit the wall and was out of control in front of the leaders.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3629806)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Result:

1 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 1h49m38.3855s
2 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 0.6825s
3 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 1.7264s
4 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 1.9589s
5 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 2.5272s
6 Josef Newgarden, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 2.7457s
7 Max Chilton, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 2.9914s
8 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 3.9491s
9 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 4.4548s
10 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 5.2143s
11 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 8.0324s
12 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. 9.3366s
13 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 10.0918s
14 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Herta. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 13.0555s
15 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 1 Lap
16 Conor Daly, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 1 Lap
17 Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 2 Laps
18 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 2 Laps
19 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 4 Laps
20 Luca Filippi, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara-DW12/Honda. 7 Laps
21 Ed Carpenter, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara-DW12/Chevrolet. Contact
22 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara-DW12/Honda. Contact
Old 3 Apr 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3629824)   #69
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow no penalty for that Kanaan block? I thought that was pretty out of order...
Old 3 Apr 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3629848)   #70
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Nothing to go on except people tweeting from the track - but suggesting alot more people than 3,000 there
I am sure there was. My apologies as I was being facetious and taking a jab at the seemingly sparse crowd on hand.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3629858)   #71
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
I agree with the latter but not the former. You don't take chances with a 20 second lap/185mph average speeds. Now I'm not saying all cautions in general were necessarily required, but we have the benefit of hindsight. The caution for Rossi at the end was legitimate, his car hit the wall and was out of control in front of the leaders.
I haven't seen the Rossi incident and won't make a comment until I have.

I do stand by my thoughts regarding the other two though. Kimball and Newgarden made contact after just one full lap of green with plenty of time until the field came back around and with the #83 staying running the whole time, he simply looped it on the apron and continued on without another car coming close to being in the same area. Did he even come to a complete stop? And I don't see how a car simply brushing the wall and continuing on without any problems warrants a full course yellow.

The other part to this is the length of time spent under yellow, 8 laps for the Kimball / Newgarden incident and 6 laps for Bourdais. Why spend so much time behind the pace car?

Anyway, I am nitpicking a bit I guess, as I do genuinely enjoy Indycar racing and will continue to do so. I just sometimes wish they would be a little less "NASCAR" in some of their ways, that's all.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3629860)   #72
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Is there any video showing what happened to Rossi at the end? I'm assuming the commentators didn't know what happened either because they kept referencing the piece of debris on the front stretch as the reason for the caution.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3629864)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Is there any video showing what happened to Rossi at the end? I'm assuming the commentators didn't know what happened either because they kept referencing the piece of debris on the front stretch as the reason for the caution.
The race is on YouTube but nothing to suggest any incident.

https://youtu.be/TxrbzgM8vZo

Accoriding to Racer, "Rossi started and finished 14th but kept his nose clean and finished on the lead lap for Michael Andretti."

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...enix_2157_copy
Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3629910)   #74
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Regarding the trigger happiness of throwing yellows, it's far different from road courses. Not saying we don't have an understanding of the differences here but I certainly would rather see things stay green for relatively minor incidents. However, cars pushing 190 on a mile oval, I don't mind playing cautiously; my hand isn't on the race control button and neither is any of yours. It's easy for us to criticize.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3629912)   #75
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I am sure there was. My apologies as I was being facetious and taking a jab at the seemingly sparse crowd on hand.
Chat is 15,000 - 20,000. Fairly decent and wouldn't use your words like sparse