Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2002, 19:35 (Ref:211795)   #1
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Alex Yoong be in F1

I ask this question because today at Valencia, Yoong ended the day almost TWO seconds shy of his team-mate Mark Webber and this after Yoong had completed 50 laps more than his Minardi team-mate. He also finished over SIX seconds behind the fastest driver of the day, Nick Heidfeld. I know this is only testing and it doesn't indicate the likely race form, but to be six seconds slower on one of the shortest testing venue's after completeing nearly three times as many laps as Webber must be a little worrying.

Although he qualified for the three races he competed in last year, Yoong was merely another mobile chicane and made frequent mistakes. I know that he is only driving a Minardi and hasn't had much experience, but I really don't think that he is ready for Formula One. I fear he will end up as another Tarso Marques and wouldn't be suprised if he is booted out before the end of the year. But again, this is unlikely considering the amount of money he brings with him (an estimated £20 million) and Minardi desperatly need to keep hold of this major investment if they are to progress up the grid.

Also, What are the odds of him qualifying in Melbourne?
Old 7 Feb 2002, 19:36 (Ref:211796)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say no, but sadly money did the talking on his drive.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 19:47 (Ref:211808)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad sad sad.....in 5-10 years time the whole grid is gonna be a bunch of teenagers or under 25's! I still think there should be some kind of minimum skill level achevement required to even drive in F1....such as winning a certain number of races at other high levels of motorsport...F1 should be about the best of the best!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 19:57 (Ref:211815)   #4
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what can ya do!

He shouldn't be in an F1 car but i suppose if there was one to put him in it would have to be a minardi (harsh but true!). Money is getting too important in F1 but at the end of the day, Stoddy needs to fund his team and if this means taking on at least one lame ass driver (sorry but i'm in onea those tell it as it is moods ) well theres nothing much he can do.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 22:11 (Ref:212011)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad fact: Money talks in F1.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 22:44 (Ref:212040)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He shouldn't be there, this guy didn't even score a point in Formula Nippon in over a seasons racing.

But Minardi need the money and its teams like them and drivers like Yoong that help make F1 what it is.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 22:51 (Ref:212049)   #7
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He does seem to be getting quicker!!! Earlier in the week he was 3secs behind Webber and up to 7.5secs off the fastest lap.

At least we'll be able to use our own watches accurately when he's qualifying. We can count the minutes instead of the 000's of secs for everyone else.

Verdict: Send him home to Malaysia.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 00:57 (Ref:212089)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
but then again he is living the dream every single one of us would love to be doing !!!!!!!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 02:26 (Ref:212108)   #9
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Alex Yoong be in F1 ?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !
Old 8 Feb 2002, 02:45 (Ref:212116)   #10
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex has aptly demonstrated the term "pay driver" more accurately then most, for sure. He has demonstrated that he is not yet ready for F1, nor will he be ready anytime soon.

It must be tough for Paul to have to sacrifice a seat in order to have a half-way decent budget, but that's F1. Teams like Ferrari and Toyota raise the bar, and the minnows have to do whatever they can just to play the game.

Maybe Max and his "1 engine per weekend" idea can help teams like Minardi. He can't even afford the paint for a decent livery on his car, for crissakes!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 06:31 (Ref:212157)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The name of the team has been changed to KL Minardi, KL standing for Kuala Lumpur, the place that poured money into financing Minardi very nicely thank you. I suppose a lot of this money will go into financing a better Asiatech for this year.
As for Yoong's performance, he was driving last years Minardi on full fuel load and old tyres. We don't even know what engine he was using. Let's not rubbish the guy too much - if he qualifies within the 107% rule, then he has every right ot be in the race. Maybe if he was driving a Ferrari, he would be lapping faster. In our country, we believe in giving the underdog a chance to prove himself. Even in the Davis Cup.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 11:25 (Ref:212216)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say good luck to him. He deserves to be there, for his dedication, not least the size of his wallet
Old 8 Feb 2002, 11:38 (Ref:212222)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No surprise in that... we already seen others in the same way, let the good malaysian bring his money to our beloved Minardi, and that's OK.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 12:40 (Ref:212248)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I still think there should be some kind of minimum skill level achevement required to even drive in F1
Doh! There is - you can't get a Super-licence if you're not safe. At least he'll provide some spice for the leaders - lapping him three or four times per race.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 12:56 (Ref:212254)   #15
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doen't matter who drive the Minardis, they'll be last regardless. So they might as well train young drivers for better and bigger things.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 13:01 (Ref:212257)   #16
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aww, leave im alone. We don't know what equipment each of the drivers have, so its hard to draw comparisons.

I'm inclined to agree though, he's just too slow. He's only there because of the money, but remember, that money was the only thing that stopped Minardi going under last year. And I'm grateful to him for that.

And to the person who compared him to Marques: Marques was miles better that Yoong!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 13:11 (Ref:212264)   #17
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Alex, even he himself has admitted openly that he was perhaps not a first choice driver for F1 and that money and his nationality had significantly helped him get to F1. But he's sure as hell going to love every minute of it and who can blame him!

Ask yourselves this: has there ever been an F1 grid made up entirely of top draw drivers? Without Yoong's money, would Minardi be on the grid? Surely it's a price worth paying if it means the survival of teams who still go racing for the fun of it as well as wanting to do well. Yoong's money is also probably helping to prop up Webber's budget. Now is that so bad?
Old 8 Feb 2002, 13:25 (Ref:212269)   #18
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I steel remember Stoddart joining F1 and promosing NO PAY DRIVERS in Minardi.
One year after he tood Yoong. Sad, very sad
Yoong is not real F1 driver but if his presence let to Minardi to survive, he should stay.
I pray Webber will be deserving driver and collect some scores for Minardi (finger crossed)
Old 8 Feb 2002, 13:40 (Ref:212281)   #19
JPBeltoise
Rookie

JPBeltoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I can't deny that there are other drivers more deserving of a Formula One drive, in terms of sheer talent, I think that Alex has shown, at least so far, that he is a competent driver. He qualified comfortably for all three of his races last year, and was fairly careful with his equipment, which I'm sure was appreciated by the team. He comes across as very intelligent, and quite serious about his job, so I wish him well for 2002. Maybe he'll surprise a few people before the season is over.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 13:44 (Ref:212285)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A simple answer to a simple question

NO
Old 8 Feb 2002, 15:17 (Ref:212342)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JPBeltoise
and was fairly careful with his equipment,
Well in his first race he spun and nearly took out the leaders!!!! Not exactly careful is it?

But at least he was trying instead of just driving around on a Sunday drive.

I don't think he deserves is place but I'd do the same given the opportunity. I'd be mad not to!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 16:04 (Ref:212371)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple answer to a simple question

YES!

I mean WHY NOT?? He's not that bad. Testing means nothing. I like the guy and... so NER!!! I liked Mazzacane, I liked Tuero and look what happened to THEM!! Ho hum. C'est pas le justice or something like that that sounds clever because it's foreign.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 16:55 (Ref:212396)   #23
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest I don't think he deserves to be in F1 based on past races, but give him a chance, ask this question again in 6-7 races time and the answer may be different.

Just a quick side-question, does anyone know if the FIA can revoke a drivers super-license if the driver proves to be a liability? I'd guess they can, but i'm not sure.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:31 (Ref:212440)   #24
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today Yoong outpaced Webber at Valencia testing. Although Yoong was using the 2002 car...
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:33 (Ref:212443)   #25
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They also only gave Webber 75% throttle so that Yoong could feel good... 100/1 that Yoong will not outqualify Webber (unless he has to run around the track)