Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Mar 2003, 14:56 (Ref:543227)   #1
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong signs with Coyne.

A late deal has been made with former F1 Minardi driver Alex Yoong and Dale Coyne. Alex will be making his debut in Cart this weekend at Monterray, Mexico.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 14:58 (Ref:543230)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong goes racing in Mexico

There's a release on Yoong's web site now. For what it's worth, I'm happy to see him. Think he's better than some of the other rookies that've appeared this season. Best of luck...
Old 21 Mar 2003, 15:01 (Ref:543235)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm....interesting. Well, he was slow as anything in the Minardi, although almost on pace with his teammate by the end of the year, so try and be optimistic, and take a "Let's see" attitude. I don't think he can do worse than Lamarie or Gonzalez did (although Gonzelez says he wasn't given a fair chance of course...I don't think Coyne would do that though).

Anyway, as slow as he was in F1 sometimes, he kept his nose clean and didn't have many accidents. If he can do that in Cart, he has a chance.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Mar 2003, 15:44 (Ref:543275)   #4
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't expect him to turn too many heads, but if he tries hard and uses his head, I welcome him to the series. Can't judge the lad before he's even turned the wheel...
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:11 (Ref:543299)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dale seems to have two slow-but-steady guys behind the wheel now, crucically Alex didn't have many crashes or spins in his 15 F1 starts, although he was pretty slow, he did come close to retaining the drive. Its unfortuate for Gonzalez, but, if he has the backing, he has every chacne of geting back on the grid.

Yoong has a better pedigree than Gonzalez and probably Camathias as well, althoug the lack of testing will hamper him badly, especially at first. The target will have to be just to finish in Monterrey.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:15 (Ref:543302)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
He's near the bottom of the charts in the first practice, but Lemarie is below him in both his first and backup car! I know they're still learning but Lemarie and PK RAcing have to make a better showing compared to the other rookies.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:47 (Ref:543325)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Alex Yoong goes racing in Mexico

Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Think he's better than some of the other rookies that've appeared this season.
That's not exactly a high bar...

But, it's a small, weak field, and that car won't be on the grid without a pay driver in the seat. So, I suppose I can't be upset about seeing him.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:52 (Ref:543334)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He looks better then Gonzalez so far.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:55 (Ref:543338)   #9
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Haberfeld, Manning and Monteiro looked good in practice 1.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 17:22 (Ref:543361)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's another thread about this, perhaps one of the moderators can merge them.

Dov is right, he's even outpaced Lemarie in his first outing, although he isn't amking the instant splash without any experience that Montiero made in St. Pete's.

Lee's basically right too, it would be nice if CART could fund Dale or someone to run a young American, especially when Patrick and Rocketsports both appear to have potential to run 2 cars, perhaps Fernandez too, but this is all we've got for now. There are worse racers than Yoong.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 18:02 (Ref:543385)   #11
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Alex in Who is out. In proctice there are 19 cars and there were 19 in the race at St Pete's ?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 18:14 (Ref:543388)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
PT, Jourdain, Junqueira, and Bourdais had quicker times in practice 2 then last years pole sitter A. Fernandez...1:18.929!
BobbyB and myself have said that politics don't belong in a racing forum, but it is hard to concentrate today on practice and qualifying, when there are so many innocent Iraqi civilians dieing.

Dont't get me wrong, I no So-Dam-Insane needs to be killed or go into exile, but those poor civilians.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:11 (Ref:543445)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem, Dov, as long as it doesn't turn the whole topic into a political discussion.

Let's wait and see on Yoong. In all his time in F1, I only remember him clashing with Irvine in Malaysia last year, but nothing else, so he still can keep away from other cars...
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:17 (Ref:543450)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thank you Jordi.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:19 (Ref:543453)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're welcome Dov

Both Alex Yoong threads are merged now - Jordi
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:34 (Ref:543458)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong goes racing? Are we talking about Formula Asia?

Last edited by corkholio; 21 Mar 2003 at 19:34.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:44 (Ref:543468)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Give the guy a break for once in your life, corkholio
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:46 (Ref:543470)   #18
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Dale seems to have two slow-but-steady guys behind the wheel now, crucically Alex didn't have many crashes or spins in his 15 F1 starts, although he was pretty slow, he did come close to retaining the drive. Its unfortuate for Gonzalez, but, if he has the backing, he has every chacne of geting back on the grid.
Probably because the 21 professionals last year knew to avoid him like the plague. He was not going to get the drive because he wasn't going to get the same money from Malaysia since Minardi was no longer running Asiatechs, so if you want to prop his reputation, you are going to have to do better than that. Gonzalez has defaulted twice already this year, so it's definitely a good thing that he is gone, considering the waste of methanol that he was.

Quote:
Yoong has a better pedigree than Gonzalez and probably Camathias as well, althoug the lack of testing will hamper him badly, especially at first. The target will have to be just to finish in Monterrey.
That's like saying Lavaggi had a better pedigree than Deletrash. Or like having a stroke is better than a heart attack.

Quote:
There are worse racers than Yoong.
Not unless Coyne starts selling his rides to people from this forum!

Considering that there are already 18 cars, which meets the contractual demands, then CART should have Coyne park his second car and concentrate on getting Camathias up to speed, unless he finds a real driver for it. Otherwise the likes of Yoong, who was rumored to have trouble keeping a consistent or fastest line in F1, will be nothing more than a major hazard, especially on ovals.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:50 (Ref:543472)   #19
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Give the guy a break for once in your life, corkholio
OK! He beat Russian legend Viktor Maslov back in the 1999 Italian F3000 Donington race! Woohoo, let's hear it for my man Alex!!!
Old 21 Mar 2003, 23:05 (Ref:543627)   #20
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
You no corkholio, from the time I saw your first thread, you have been maninly negative (very) about CART. You have the right to be negative about CART. CART is having a tough go of it now and they are in a changing stage. F1 will always be the top open wheel series to most racing fans. CART will Surpass the IRL by 2004-2006...you can bet on it. You just wait and see my friend.

Last edited by Dov; 21 Mar 2003 at 23:08.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 23:13 (Ref:543634)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
seriously corkholio, I don't think anyone here expects him to win the race, he was 2 seconds off second last in qualifying. That said, this is his first time in the car. When he proves himself to be endangering others on the track (which I seriously doubt he will), you can complain. For now he has every right to be on the grid, even if it is only as a mobile chicane for now.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 23:33 (Ref:543660)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I hope he does well to prove everyone wrong , ya gotta give him a break , he's doing what we would all love to be doing and enjoying it as well.

good luck to him I say and its good to see more cars out there.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 00:13 (Ref:543692)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too, I'd like to see him do well -- and remember he has had NO testing time in this car or any CART car and I bet nobody could jump right into the car and do any better.

It'll be nice to have the race to watch on Sunday as a break from the war. Hope Yoong does well.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 00:41 (Ref:543702)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Excatly!!! Sorry if the spelling isn't perfect. It's nice to see you back Liz.

Last edited by Dov; 22 Mar 2003 at 00:45.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 01:36 (Ref:543747)   #25
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for being ignorant as i've never followed CART ever before...my question, isn't there any qualification criteria/license needed for any newcomer to enter a race/to race in CART? Like of the F1?