Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 15 Jan 2004, 21:41 (Ref:839646)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL Drivers In IROC Series

Three IRL drivers have entered the IROC series for 2004, www.indycar.com has announced.

The 3 are Scott Dixon, Scott Sharp, and Helio Castroneves.
They'll be four races held at Daytona, Richmond, Texas and Atlanta, and they'll be 100 miles each.

I havn't watched the IROC series in along time, but I used to love it. I thought it was a real drivers series and you could really root for your driver and discipline to win. I hear that its really dominated by the NASCAR guys today(whats new!). Has anyone here kept up with it, and can tell us something about it? Like, what are they driving today?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 23:33 (Ref:839783)   #2
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, they're Trans Ams, not Hyder Hawks.
Check out Troy Regier's radical ride at www.biswellmotorsports.com (Kinda like Barry Goldwater, it's got no left wing).
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:51 (Ref:839855)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, now those are wild looking rides. I've never seen them before. What series do they race in, I'd like to check them out some more.

There still running Trans Ams? I remember they were running them 20 or so years ago, along with Camaros.

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Jan 2004, 01:06 (Ref:839866)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why isn't IROC ever runnig a road course- that's poo that they don't...now making the IROC run Supermodifieds that is inspired! IRL shouldve been all about Supermodifieds...alas
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:31 (Ref:839960)   #5
dirtfan
Racer

In the good old days, before Humpy took over Phoenix, they ran the Copper World mile (what a rush!) with drivers like Tony Stewart and Davey Hamilton. Hamilton now owns SRL, the west coast series. ISMA, the northeast series, runs New England and New Jersy. You can check the schedule at http://www.ismasupers.com/schedule.htm. I saw the Modifieds run at Stafford Springs once, racy track, no mufflers. -That's probably changed now.
A lot of fans wonder why TG didn't pattern the IRL cars more after the Supers.
There was a poster here a few days ago (Dakota Hogback I think) who said Riley and Scott are working on a superspeedway Silver Crown. We can only hope...
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:47 (Ref:839970)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

I saw the SRL at El Cajon speedway- oooh that was hairy, all that grumbling and nailbiting stuff-IRL made the mistake of being a rip of the traditional indycar, and not a step up from USAC. Supermods are just incredible.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:08 (Ref:840402)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Dirtfan, I tried that web site, but it appears to have moved. Any ideas where it went?

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Jan 2004, 15:21 (Ref:840505)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

try this www.ismasupers.com
or the west coast variety or http://www.srllatemodels.com/sm/index.html
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:29 (Ref:840723)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Super modifieds rule!!! Glad to see them get some exposure here. Glad to say I've been a fan of the supers for many years.

As for the Silver Crown deal, yes they are researching a new chassis for the 1.5 mile tracks.

As for IROC, its nothing like it used to be. Didn't they run two road courses and two ovals before? And it shouldn't surprise us that the NASCAR boys do well. Four oval races in fender cars. That pretty much gives them the edge. Maybe they should run two races in fender cars (one road course and one oval) and two races in open wheel cars (one road course and one oval). Now that would be a bit more interesting.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:38 (Ref:840735)   #10
dirtfan
Racer

Ask an Unser, Bobby or Al sr, and they'd say throw in the Springfield Mile.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:53 (Ref:840749)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or maybe a hill climb!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 19:16 (Ref:840768)   #12
dirtfan
Racer

That'd be interesting, but I don't remember Pikes Peak being on the USAC Championship Trail.
One of the Unsers, Bobby I think, claims dropping of dirt was the begining of the end for USAC in big time racing, and he argued against it.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:840895)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
No, I don't believe it was a part of the USAC title race. I wasn't trying to claim that. Just to add variety to the IROC series in any way would be welcomed.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 22:19 (Ref:840986)   #14
dirtfan
Racer

Was just kidding...
I wish someone would show more of that race- it's sort of hidden on the TV schedules.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 05:00 (Ref:843560)   #15
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with the IROC is that it's basically become an all NASCAR thing. Non-NASCAR drivers have only won four IROC races since 1995. As NASCAR is already overexposed, it's kind of hard to get excited about the IROC. It's time to change the format, bring back road races, maybe switch to open wheelers.

BTW, Pikes Peak was a USAC national championship event from 1965-1969. It was a AAA championship round from 1947-1955.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 06:11 (Ref:843586)   #16
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember IROC running at Watkins Glen way back in the early 90s.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 22:46 (Ref:844717)   #17
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IROC's last race at Watkins Glen, and its last road race anywhere, was in 1991. Back in the late '70s and early '80s, when it was still worth watching, the IROC series used ran a four race schedule - 2 road races and two oval races.