Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3555677)   #1026
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The basic concept of qualifying as it is, is good. Pointless changing it bar winning some short term publicity.

Basically, they are looking for cheap ways to 'jazz' up the sport without investment. I'm not sure it's that easy.

It detracts from the GP too in that it loses more of its prestige as a stand alone 'major' as implied by the term Grand Prix. If there's two races per weekend every non-winter weekend, it becomes less unique - if only in my eyes. And Eccelstone has been pushing to have the season crammed with as many races as he can.

And while I'd take all that if they went ahead with it. Reverse grids is just a bit too much of 'the circus' to inject into this sport for me to bear.
I would not like the idea of reversing grids either...
Old 3 Jul 2015, 20:33 (Ref:3555684)   #1027
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With regards to a sprint race, will the drivers/teams be racing their F1 cars, because the problem I see with a sprint race on Saturday is, what happens if there's a multiple car incident, for example at the start? Depending on how bad the damage is, the mechanics are going to have their work cut out repairing the cars for Sunday's GP.

In the event of accidents during a race weekend, teams already have to bring extra front wings etc., an additional race will mean they'll have to bring more spares, which will the cost teams as they are the ones that manufacture them. To add to that, a multiple car incident will lead to a full course yellow, for a number of laps, reducing further what will already be a reduced lap race.

If the sprint race is done with Renault Clios, then there's no problem except for potential driver injury.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3555689)   #1028
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
With regards to a sprint race, will the drivers/teams be racing their F1 cars, because the problem I see with a sprint race on Saturday is, what happens if there's a multiple car incident, for example at the start? Depending on how bad the damage is, the mechanics are going to have their work cut out repairing the cars for Sunday's GP.

In the event of accidents during a race weekend, teams already have to bring extra front wings etc., an additional race will mean they'll have to bring more spares, which will the cost teams as they are the ones that manufacture them. To add to that, a multiple car incident will lead to a full course yellow, for a number of laps, reducing further what will already be a reduced lap race.

If the sprint race is done with Renault Clios, then there's no problem except for potential driver injury.

Well you make some good points there, car breakage would be an issue. I think what they are doing at the moment is brainstorming ideas which is a good thing isn't it ...

Basic ideas like wider cars, wider tyres, more engine noise, more down force Less driver aids .. make the cars ruder ...

Let's have more fun...Keep all the classic tracks and make it more affordable for the promoters..Make the whole kit and caboodle a more fan friendly experience..

Older people are always going to moan and groan no mater what you do, some people it's simply impossible to please
Old 3 Jul 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3555696)   #1029
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, a sprint race would likely be a fiasco on a genuinely wet track. Cars gingerly tip toeing around in Sunday-self-preservation mode yet still crashing.

And if they did a reverse grid thing with that, wow, it'd be carnage.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3555938)   #1030
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel's against Saturday races for traditional reasons.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119840
Old 5 Jul 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3555994)   #1031
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really think a 1 hour race on Saturday afternoon based on the grid reversed from qualifying would be a great idea. Points would be based on the top 8 finishers using the pre-2010 points system (10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1). Championship contenders would actually have to overtake on track, which is a skill that isn't always tested of champions at present. More importantly, the cars would have to be engineered so they could some through the back rather than engineering a car that's quick in qualifying as we see now.

Purists will naturally have big issues with this. Although, think of the classic races we've had in the past where the quickest drivers are out of position. Imagine having that every weekend.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3556005)   #1032
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Vettel's against Saturday races for traditional reasons.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119840
I'm liking Vettel more and more.

Woah, is that a pig flyin' overhead!
Old 12 Jul 2015, 00:43 (Ref:3557647)   #1033
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
21 race calendar approved

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119935
Old 12 Jul 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3557649)   #1034
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
So Bernie finally get's his 21 race season.

I see Germany's back on the list.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3558222)   #1035
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for sure glad Germany is back on there but seriously 21 races???

we have had a year and a half with no legitimate challenger to the top team and unless they open up the regs then we have 10 more races this year and another 21 next year of this???

i get that some engine manus got it horribly wrong but i dont see why we, the viewing public, have to suffer through another 31 races of this!

p.s. that also another 31 races of me complaining!
Old 13 Jul 2015, 17:04 (Ref:3558258)   #1036
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And you have to ask how many of those races add anything to F1
Old 13 Jul 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3558260)   #1037
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And you have to ask how many of those races add anything to F1
Oh they all add something where it matters most, which is Bernie’s bank account.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3558281)   #1038
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Does F1 really need 21 races? I thought 17 was a good number, enough races to keep drivers and teams busy and fans interested and a GP was something to look forward to.

21 just seems like overkill, a sausage machine, turning out boring races on featureless tracks, in countries with no motorsports heritage and who will never develop any grass roots motorsport.

Rant over.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3558293)   #1039
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More races = More money for F1/FOM.

As a fan I think it somewhat dilutes the overall product by having so many. Each race becomes somewhat less special and it also lessens the impact of each on the season (from a points perspective) as well.

Richard
Old 13 Jul 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3558295)   #1040
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I will say... that some new races are not bad. I have seen some of the simulations for the Mexican GP and that stadium section looks bonkers! I can't wait to watch that race and I think it would be a great race to watch in person.

They should focus on quality of the product and worry less about "more is better"

Richard
Old 13 Jul 2015, 23:31 (Ref:3558348)   #1041
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I will say... that some new races are not bad. I have seen some of the simulations for the Mexican GP and that stadium section looks bonkers! I can't wait to watch that race and I think it would be a great race to watch in person.

They should focus on quality of the product and worry less about "more is better"

Richard
Mexico's not a new venue. Though a non championship race, the first GP was in 1962, with a hiatus from 1971 to 1985 but I understand what you mean. The stadium section is bonkers. CART raced there in 2002.

You are right, they should focus on the quality of the product and worry less about "more is better" but with Bernie as King Pin, he calls the shots for the worse imho.
Old 14 Jul 2015, 02:47 (Ref:3558377)   #1042
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking, and I realized the Yas race is the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. That naming is important. Abu Dhabi, not United Arab Emirates. By that reasoning, the union of the UAE is not that of a nation as far as F1 is concerned given their current hosting policy. This means Dubai could host a race (if not for Bahrain's contract), which I would like.

But this causes a precedent which could be viewed to mean that other federations (such as Russia, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, and Belgium) could have different rounds in different states/provinces/divisions despite the (usually) standing one race per nation per year policy.
Old 14 Jul 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3558515)   #1043
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one race per country is not a rule.

New Jersey (USA) is looking (dreaming) about getting on the calander with Austin, Spain had two for a number of seasons, as did Germany before they started to alternate years, and in Japan one of my favorite (looking) tracks of all time was Aida International which in 95? was even held back to back with Suzuka.

im sure there are a few more examples as well.
Old 14 Jul 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3558641)   #1044
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course, who can forget the infamous Luxembourg GP!
Old 15 Jul 2015, 02:52 (Ref:3558669)   #1045
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Port Imperial is a pipe dream. Excluding Valencia, they tend to stick with one race/country nowadays. As comedic as the San Marino, Luxembourg, and all the directions on the compass U.S. races were, they just aren't happening anymore.

I seem to remember the USGP organizers got penalized somehow for the sheer number of rounds that were being crammed onto the calendar in the U.S.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3560367)   #1046
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
http://apexcircuitdesign.co.uk/portf...treet-circuit/

Those requests aren't made on a whim.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3563478)   #1047
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I thought next year's GP at Baku was a done deal but apparently not, as the venue waits for circuit approval from the FIA.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120210
Old 3 Aug 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3563493)   #1048
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
isn't this the approval that generally happens much later on in the build process, or is there more than one homologation stage?
Old 3 Aug 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3563604)   #1049
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erm, how long before the inaugural Korean GP was the Yeongam circuit approved???!!!

Baku is going ahead. Surely the most likely prevention would be if Azerbaijan politically implodes...
Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:09 (Ref:3563626)   #1050
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Erm, how long before the inaugural Korean GP was the Yeongam circuit approved???!!!

Baku is going ahead. Surely the most likely prevention would be if Azerbaijan politically implodes...
Well. . .